Graybeard Outdoors banner

long term fuel storage

6K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Empty Quiver 
#1 ·
looked on first three pages of this and the survival forum, so if this has been discussed before forgive me.

I'm looking for the best methods of long term storage for both gas and heating oil. I put in additives to my gas engines that i won't use over the winter, but how long is that good for? What if I wanted to store larger amounts for a longer time? I know heating oil will sludge in the tank over time, is there an additive for that?

OK have at it and show me what ya got, thanks

#3 ·
Don't know how long gas or heating oil can be stored, but I do know with gas you'll have to start with some that doesn't have any ethanol in it (most premium fuel). Anything with ethanol in it won't last any time at all. For over the winter storage I add some Sea Foam, seems to work good for that length of time.

#4 ·
I think some more information is needed. How long are you looking to keep (GAS)? Heating oil can go years if kept at the same temp and humidity. A couple of years ago we pulled a 275 gallon tank out of a basement that was switched to natural gas 12 years before and I had no problem using it in my boiler. If possible switch to LP with a carb kit. It will keep for years.

#5 ·
My fuel delivery guy told me gas can be stable for up to 6 months and diesel for about a year. You can probably double that figure, if you can maintain ideal conditions for storage. To maximize longevity, use 100% pure gasoline or 100% pure (no ethanol or biodiesel) and keep tanks as full as possible. The less air in the tank, the less moisture it can draw, etc. I also use Sea Foam as a gas stabilizer over winter, and it seems work pretty well. For diesel, an algaecide like Bio Kleen will keep anything from growing in it.

At work, we have several standby generators that run on diesel. According to protocol, they're supposed to completely drain fuel tanks and replace with fresh every other year. Due to budget cutbacks and low staffing levels, they're way behind. Usually, they just fuel trucks with the old fuel to get it used up, but they didn't want to do that anymore, because the fuel they're pulling out of generator tanks is 4 years old now. They called me to figure out how to dispose of it, so I just brought my own personal fuel tank and used it in my tractors at home. The exhaust smells particularly awful, but it still burned OK, and I managed to mow roadsides and bale some hay with free fuel. Personally, I would never try to store fuel that long, especially if I paid for it. However, it does tell you that you can store fuel for a while, as long as storage conditions are ideal.

#6 ·
around here, gas just doesn't store well
even when treated. i've tried b-12 , seafoam,
and stabil. it does help considerably, but
not like it did just a few years ago.
for me, the best option is to drain anything of
fuel that won't be used and run for a long time.
i've fixed and help fix many a mower and saw
etc. that had rotten gas and the owner tried
to make it run with the bad gas. it's best to flush
out the bad stuff and not try to make it run
with the trashy gas in the lines and tank.

#7 ·
I read on another forum that some people had bought 100 % gasoline. Added fuel stabilizer and stored it in closed drums for 5 years and it was still good. Before they sealed the drums. they purged all of the air out with propane and closed it up. No oxygen was their answer to make it last.

#10 ·
I've used diesel that was stored MORE than 5 years, lot's of it, all with no problems at all. I've stored it nearly that long myself and I don't use any additives!

The secret to it is, keep the moisture out of it!!

Gas is much more of a problem... It doesn't store well at all...

DM

#11 ·
Sta bil says it can be used to store gasoline for two years when used per instructions. I have never had the chance to store it that long my self but have had it in a generator for 16 months and it was fine.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil

STA-BIL® Storage: Keeps gasoline fresh for up to 24 months, eliminating the need to drain your tank during storage seasons.

STA-BIL® Diesel: Generators, tractors and diesel trucks require special additives to operate smoothly and problem-free. That’s what STA-BIL® Diesel is for: to keep diesel fuel fresh and injectors clean.

:) Al

#12 ·
kind of the standard has been 6 months without stable and 3 years with it. Now ive used year old gas with absolutely no problem that wasn't treated. Problem will only show itself in motors that need octane. Over time octane numbers fall. But in a lawn mower, car motor ect (4 strokes without real high compression) it can still be used. You don't want to put it in your chain saw or corvette though. Fuel oil with a fungicide additive kept in a steady temp like in your basement will last almost indefinitely. If its stored outside id be leary after 3 years. That said we have a back up fuel oil burner at camp and a 275 gallon tank that we filled probably 10 years ago that is still working fine in that stove but I sure wouldn't put it in a new diesel pickup anymore.

#13 ·
Luck of the draw! i had an old mac10-10 that set in a storage shed for years with a broken handle(throttle). Picked it up one day to see if the engine was still free, gave a yank on the cord and it started and ran at an idle,,,,hunted up an old saw with a good handle on it and replaced the broken one and sold it.. :)

#14 ·
I keep 10-20 gallons of gas in plastic cans for my generator. I purchase ethanol free at a marina. I have been using my current stash for about 15 months. With hurricane season approaching, I'll soon syphon it into my truck and start over. I use sea foam in my fuel also. I like to run the carbs dry on my tiller, generator, and pressure washer engines because they get stored for many months between use. I also drain the tanks before storing.

#15 ·
I don't know what's in Husqvarna pre-mix gas but its good for 5 years. I tested it after 3 years and the chainsaw started up 1st pull!!

I use to use seafoam for gas storage over the winter months and it served me well. For the past several years I use Aviation gasoline and I've heard stories of ole aircraft starting up with Avgas that was 50 years old. I have a friend that has an ole Ford - 1930 something, and that vehicle has a tank full of Avgas and he starts it every now and then - I think he's had the same Avgas in that tank for the last 5 yeor more.

Today's Avgas that is readily available is low-lead, not sure of the lead content but it hasn't fouled my spark plugs after a couple years of use. I haven't had anything stored for more than 24 months using Avgas, so I can only vouch for 24 months without clogging the jets/bowl etc.

#17 ·
ole said:
I don't know what's in Husqvarna pre-mix gas but its good for 5 years. I tested it after 3 years and the chainsaw started up 1st pull!!
That's because Husqvarna canned fuel really isn't gas, at least not the way we think of gas... It's really some kind of "synthetic fuel", that has a higher octane and much longer storage life...

I use and like the stuff a lot!

DM

#18 ·
What will help is to wait until the refinery's are making their winter gas. Just talked with my brother a couple days ago, and he reminded me of this. He retired 3 years ago from the BP/Sohio plant here in NW Ohio. Had almost 30 years in there. They blend a little more stabilizer in before winter time because of temperature changes. Not sure if they do it at the plants in the south. Try and keep up with this topic and post when they change over. My nephew works there now, so will try and remember to get in touch with him. gypsyman

#19 ·
charles said:
I keep 10-20 gallons of gas in plastic cans for my generator. I purchase ethanol free at a marina. I have been using my current stash for about 15 months. With hurricane season approaching, I'll soon syphon it into my truck and start over. I use sea foam in my fuel also. I like to run the carbs dry on my tiller, generator, and pressure washer engines because they get stored for many months between use. I also drain the tanks before storing.
I got tired of messing with recycling gasoline for my generator, plus storing gasoline isn't a great proposition in the first place, so I converted my generator to run on propane or natural gas as well as gasoline, makes life much easier, I don't have to mess with it very often any more, hook it up to a propane tank, run it, turn it off, no gasoline residue in the carb to mess with. Propane shelf life is forever as long as the tank is sound.

Tim

http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

#20 ·
So, can kerosene be stored the same? It has less crap in it than diesel, so that should make it easier to keep.

My thoughts were to bury a tank underground, 2-4ft, to get it down where the temp is stable year round. No sunlight, sealed tank should be moisture free.
Just pump it out.

I have read somewhere that people have kept kerosene 5-10yrs in about 5gal cans, out of the sun, like in the corner of a garage.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
If I were planning to stay in my house for many more years, I would switch my generator's carb to propane. I have a 280 gallon tank buried underground. Use it for hot water and cooking, but heat is HVAC. Just bought 12 gallons of new non-ethanol for the tropical disturbance off NC. My generator is a two cylinder Honda making 12 KW so it goes through a tank in about five hours. I can run my home and one AC unit with it. If I see I will need fuel for the long term, and that is rare, I have no problem with regular fuel from a local station that has a Diesel generator. That need occurs about once per decade. I am due.

#24 ·
Gunfixr said:
Drilling said:
I have kept diesel for years, without problems... NO additives either. I wouldn't be afraid to keep Kerosene for a LONG time too...

DM
How stored?
Above Ground? Below ground?
Both... I've bought really old #2 that had been in the ground for many years, and never had even one problem... I have some right now, stored in a 75 gallon tank for over 5 years, sitting next to my barn, i'll bet you it's just fine as I've stored it that way many times before...

DM

#26 ·
ole said:
While not quite the same thing. I've had gas mixed with Stihl brand 2 stroke oil last 2 years. I asked about it at the dealer and was told they add a stabilizer to their oil. Normally I don't expect gas to last for more than 90 days. On the other hand, I've heard of people using 10 year old diesel with out problem. I don't know if it's bull or not but a diesel truck mechanic once told me that diesel oil with last almost forever if properly stored.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.