Just Bought a Big Berkey - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Default Just Bought a Big Berkey

We weren't able to get on base housing here in Okinawa, so we're currently living in a seaside apartment overlooking the east china sea. We live in an industrial area, have a lot of storm water passing through, sea surges, and our building uses large SS tanks to ensure water capacity for the residents. The water tastes okay, and supposedly its better than the water on base which falls under US requirements and has all sorts of nasty chemicals in it. However, I am dubious. So we went ahead and splurged for an OTS gravity fed system.

I've made a few bucket filters over the years, have used a few different packing filters (really like Sawyer), and have even done the under sink inline filter for a previous house, and various pitchers (Zero, Brita, Pur) ... but this is my first Berkey. I searched and haven't seen any discussions here since 2010 so figured I'd dust this off and see if anyone else is using a Berkey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:15 PM

Have you lived with bad water in many locations?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:06 PM

Will you post pictures of your filter system.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
Have you lived with bad water in many locations?
Yes sir, I have: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Somaliland, Thailand, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Iraq, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, UK, a few places in the states, and now Okinawa ... each for different reasons, some worse than others. For some it was bacterial or viral, for others it was toxic chemicals, heavy metals, etc. I've had all manner of stomach bugs, and a few bouts of kidney stones as a result. In the horn of africa we took jerry cans to a central place and bought all the water that our lips would touch, or that would touch something our lips touched - smelled like pool water, chlorine content was so high. Not good for the body, but then had the same problem with drinking tabs in the military ... which is why they issue personal filters now, or logistics sends bottled water. The house we just left in Monterey had 100+ year old pipes, lead, arsenic, and all manner of heavy metals - folks getting odd ailments all over base. We ran an in line filter to get out a lot of it, then purified the left over with a different filter. Had a neighbor hospitalized for Arsenic poisoning from the tap water.

I've had great water other places in the US, and other countries, but its getting rarer and rarer. Berkey is a purifier, not just a filter, so it should be good no matter where the Lord takes us next, and the place I bought it from supports international missions so I like how they use their profits.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 PM

I'd say you are one tough cookie to even be alive.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 PM

I have one and used it and liked it.
You need to just give I t time to do its thing as it is gravity dependent. but it works well.

I have no taste for corruptible food ... Idesire the Bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire His blood,which is love incorruptible. (to the Romans 7:3)
They abstain from the Eucharist ...because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. (to Smyrnians 7:1)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Gun Cabinet

I like Oki. I was at Torii Station with different duties at Kadena, Futenma, and a few other places. That seems like an eternity ago in 1996. Be sure to hunker down inside during typhoons. That was the only place I've seen it rain sideways.

Thanks, Dinny
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I'd say you are one tough cookie to even be alive.

I don't know about that - I try to bring the right gear for where we're serving, and water filters are high on that list now. Get a bunch of missionaries together and it won't take long before one of them turns the conversation to what was your worst case of diarrhea ever. Clean drinking water is a planetary problem - the rivers in China, for example, are so toxic no fish or wildlife can live there, and its spilling into the coastlines as well so fishermen have to further out to fish. China depends on fish to feed its people, so that's why they're moving into the South China Sea. It's ironic, their industry has toxified their aquifer which impacts crops, feed stock, fish, and drinking water. In Djibouti my kids would fill up drinking water bottles from our jerry cans to give to our neighbor kids during the flu season, as many of them would wind up dying from dehydration as a result of stomach bugs which they got from bad water. The local sterilization method was to hold your used water bottle open side down over a fire and smoke it out "to kill the bugs" ... which doesn't, and the fire was usually from shipping pallets soaked in treatments that contain toxic chemicals and metals, so they actually made it worse. Sickest I got was from "clean water" served at the Hilton in Addis Ababa, especially for tourists - I wanted to die. I got a sawyer squeeze not long after that.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 PM

and a LifeStraw or similar item!

I have no taste for corruptible food ... Idesire the Bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire His blood,which is love incorruptible. (to the Romans 7:3)
They abstain from the Eucharist ...because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again. (to Smyrnians 7:1)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
and a LifeStraw or similar item!

Nowadays it'd be the Sawyer Mini; everything the LifeStraw does but better, and a few more things it doesn't. Lots of troops putting them in-line on their hydration bladder, as you can pull them off and use them a bunch of different ways. I've seen them for like $15 on sale. Wish they had those about 20 years ago.

I've built bucket filters using a Sawyer, same principle as the Berkey, but not very elegant. Wife and I drink 2 gallons a day, and then there's cooking, so we paid for easy. And the SS container looks better in her kitchen than a Home Depot bucket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in