Graybeard Outdoors banner

Only one what would it be?

10K views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  huntined 
#1 · (Edited)
Probably the wrong place, so move as needed please. Taking off from Pastotp's question about handguns: . If, like most of the settlers who moved west, you could only afford one firearm what would it be?

I believe I'd get a shotgun. My preference would be a Winchester 97, but reality probably is it would be a single shot 12 ga.

#36 ·
none because i have MANY GUNS AND LOTS OF AMMO and would spend my last money on food or on the family. i could sell 25 guns to keep going and still have enough to arm a small company.

#38 ·
I read a book a while back of a couple of guys in the late 1920s, who canoed from New York City to Nome, Alaska. Not many stores around the boonies of Canada back then. Their gun was a single shot .410, and it served them for almost 2 years, IIRC. The friendship wasn't strong when it started, and was over by the time they got to Nome. Written by one of the two.

~WH~

#40 ·
Well, since I seem to have missed it in the 2 or 3 previous times it popped up, I might as well give my answer now....lol. I owned for about 40yrs a combination gun that I always felt could do just about anything hunting-wise. It was a Valmet M412 that I bought new back in 1980 in 12ga over .308. I used it like that for several years before finding a Valmet scope mount and also got a deal on a 12/12 set of barrels. With both sets of barrels, it's a no-brainer all around hunter. But even with only the combination barrels, it works for most anything. When I owned it, I killed all types of game from doves to deer with it. A couple pics from my listing when I sold it. I paid $425 for it initially and sold the 2 barrel set with Leupold scope for $1800.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Hardwood
Brown Furniture Comfort Building Wood

#41 ·
My combination is a H&R with 20 gauge, .30-30 and .38-55 barrels. Not that it would be ideal bear protection or good if attacked by a group of bad guys wanting to take whatever I had stashed away, but good for easy carrying when putting food on the table is important. Consider that the trade guns of ole were smoothbores, 20 gauge or less and were often preferred by the woodsmen (including Indians) of the time and I believe my setup is good for everything I need a gun for.

#43 ·
if were going multi barrel make mine an ar15. ive got uppers in 9mm 556, 300bo, 300 hmr and 6.5 grendel and 50 beowulf. IN the 556 and BO i can do red dot combat uppers or scope long range. i believe they even make shot gun uppers. couple of mine have binary triggers that will dump a 30 round mag in the time a single shot is fired most likely ounce or possibly twice and i know i can easily put 5-10 shots accurately on target at a 100 yards for every one with a single shot. i also have 7 pistol uppers that make them handy little house cleaners. Remember our military and hunters about gave up on single shots a 100 years ago. there is NO advantage to them and they dont make you one bit cooler to own. i have 4 #1 rugers and sadly the girls dont come running and nobody super cool comes hunting with me when i hunt with one. i can somewhat see a #1 because there so beautiful but an ugly H&R no thanks. only advantage to them is cost. my first gun was a savage single shot 20guage dad didnt buy it trying to convince me i was cool or more of a sportsman or ethical hunter. he bought it because it was the cheapest thing in the store. this will go over real well on a fourm thats about 90 percent cannons and single shot cheap guns and im not interested in either.