Making any changes ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Default Making any changes ?

Well this virus scare has caused panic buying for many items . Has the shortages caused anyone to change what and the amount of items they will keep on hand ?
Here I VA gun sales are through the roof more so than any other time. TP almost impossible to find . Any paper products are really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Gun Cabinet

Stores are filling up again around here. No hand sanitizer, but tp and paper towels. Ammo is picked over but mostly available. The prices are jumping though. The same case of 22 shells I bought 6 weeks ago is up $50 and is out of stock before I get the e-mail saying it's in stock. I'm not stocking up any more than regular but not shooting any less so I keep an eye on the ammo prices.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 05:34 AM

not in guns and ammo. Ive allways had PLENTY. Enough probably for 10 familys. Food wize though ive been canning about every day. Ive filled every quart jar I have and am down to pints. Pantry and two freezers are stuffed. Could probably go 6 months on what I have on hand and then id at least have to go for tp. Food wize id be good for at least a year. Went to the bank Thursday and took 5k out in cash and put it in one of the gun safes in case power happened to go out or the banks couldn't find enough people to keep them open. Some stores don't want cash right now and will only deal with a card so I didn't take anymore then the 5k.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 06:03 AM

No real changes here. Biggest change was I invested in a second 500 box of coin tissues. Essentially a good sized square of paper/cloth similar in weave to a handi wipe. Compressed into something the size of 2 lifesavers stuck together. A few drops of water and it unrolls to become whatever you need.

They work good for cleaning, rinse them out, let them dry, cut them in half and they would do fine as TP. Handy for camping as they have low weight/bulk.

Mostly my wife and I have been preparing for the end of the world for 24 years. Most of those years money was tight so it was a slow thing. Keeping pantry and freezer stocked. Extra supply's of long storing foods like beans, rice, pasta, sugar, salt. All vacuum sealed and stored where nothing can get to it.

Mostly a matter of buying things we aleady use when they are on sale. Moving the latest purchases to the bottom/back. Oldest are up top/front where they get used as needed. Stacks of cans of Tuna, the cheapest Salmon, Hormel Chili with beans, Ramen.

We just took a flyer on 12 uits of Well pak Ramen/stir fry noodles. Ate half of the first package last night. Boils in 3 minutes and it is done.
Slightly larger than the Ramen Noodles with a bit more yellow color. They were amazingly tasty with just a bit of chicken broth from a whole roasted chicken on top and a pinch of salt.

If you eat ramen noodles at all I think you'll find these are better. Each package contains 2 bricks of dried noodles. Even with a smallish pan easy to get them into the water whole, or break down to whatever size you like. A little broth, drippings from whatever else your cooking, etc makes them flavorful. All in all as a first time flyer in a new product I am impressed. Perhaps not quite the lo mein noodles I was searching for. But not bad at all. Today the other half will go into the chicken soup I make from the carcass of the chicken. To which I'll also add shredded carrots, celery perhaps some onion.

• Asian style chow mein stir-fry noodles
  • Chuka soba
  • Cook noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes
  • Drain well and use to make stir-fry noodles
But first the skin, bones leftovers will be boiled for an hour with a chicken builon cube or 2, a touch of curry and poultry seasoning.
I'll then screen out all the bones. pick useable meat from the bones and discard the rest. Done right a 6$ whole chicken becomes food for 2-4 for 2 days with only minor additions and a bit of time. In this cool spring weather we have up here (snowed yesterday, twice) a nice hot tasty meal will go well.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 06:10 AM

We're pretty much the same as always. We had stocked up on ammo because the wife and I go to the range on a regular basis, shooting whatever we need to sharpen up on. Long standing habit.

That stocking was taking place about 14 or so months ago befvore I had my surgery and recieved the "gift" of a superbug which took the better part of a year on very powerful antibiotics to finally get rid of. Obviously we couldn't do our ranges for practice as much as we liked, but it left us with a fair supply to get back into things once it all opens up again. Just how much prices went up? I haven't been to a gun shop since this virus showed up.

Maybe the most incovienent thing has been the lockdown at the gun club. That is sort of our home away from home, and not available.

Our food supply has always been solid, the wife likes making large batches of anything she cooks, and freezes at least half in those vacuum package foodsaver things. We got one of those to package deer as I finish butchering each one. Amazing things.

TP was getting tough to find, but I have a great neighbor who was able to locate and purchase a good amount, and let us have plenty. Everything else has been available.

When you come down to it, our changes due to the virus isn't much. The superbug messed us up, but left us able to deal with the current goings on......GOD is GOOD!!!!

Last edited by The Old Man; 04-11-2020 at 06:14 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
GOD is GOOD!!!!
No doubt the most important thing to keep in mind. Especially on this holy weekend!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Not much change here. Been prepared for hard times most of my life. What are you canning Lloyd? We just did 11 pints of chicken. Might check around for good deals on something more to can. I have quite a few empty jars that aren't pulling their weight.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 12:05 PM

Just staying home and inside with a lingering case of gout above my left ankle. Have had it since the last days of March; longest attack ever. Have taken all the steroid pills the doctor gave to me, yet it still feels just above my ankle that I was whacked with a pool cue. Have been to Walmart twice; I buy as little as possible. No TP, no facewipes, no wetwipes, no paper towels to be had. It's really a rip-off because coronavirus will NOT cause you to excrement yourself to death.

It will be just desserts if when those selfish batsards who bought it all out from under the rest of us cannot bring it back for a refund when this is all over. I hereby make the offer to buy as many rolls as I so desire at $0.01 per roll. The greedy can take my price or choke on it!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 PM

Not much change for us really. I miss my once a week or so stop at the local gun shop to hang out and have a free cup of coffee.

Had to go to the store and pick up a few things last week. They had a pretty good stock of TP. Not all brands and the shelves weren't full by any means, but plenty if you needed some. None of the jumbo 48 count packs, but quite a few of the 4 and 8 packs. No hand sanitizer or hand wipes yet, but we still have some at home and in the car from before the "pandemic".

In a way it's kind of nice shopping now. Noticed if I was standing looking at something no one tried to crowd me out of the way! And if someone was in my way and I thought they were taking too much time I discovered it was easy to get them to move - just start slowly getting closer and closer to them with my cart and they would suddenly lose interest in what they were doing and move on! It's almost like you have an invisible cushion of air around you that keeps everyone at bay.

I thought about faking a coughing spell to get a couple of them moving, but that would probably be a little bit too severe - probably get arrested for terrorism!

Other than that we're just holed up here at home. The dog's enjoying it. Been spending more time throwing the tennis ball or a stick for her to chase. Did a little shooting out behind the house on a couple days when it got warm enough to be comfortable.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosth View Post
No real changes here. Biggest change was I invested in a second 500 box of coin tissues. Essentially a good sized square of paper/cloth similar in weave to a handi wipe. Compressed into something the size of 2 lifesavers stuck together. A few drops of water and it unrolls to become whatever you need.

They work good for cleaning, rinse them out, let them dry, cut them in half and they would do fine as TP. Handy for camping as they have low weight/bulk.

Mostly my wife and I have been preparing for the end of the world for 24 years. Most of those years money was tight so it was a slow thing. Keeping pantry and freezer stocked. Extra supply's of long storing foods like beans, rice, pasta, sugar, salt. All vacuum sealed and stored where nothing can get to it.

Mostly a matter of buying things we aleady use when they are on sale. Moving the latest purchases to the bottom/back. Oldest are up top/front where they get used as needed. Stacks of cans of Tuna, the cheapest Salmon, Hormel Chili with beans, Ramen.

We just took a flyer on 12 uits of Well pak Ramen/stir fry noodles. Ate half of the first package last night. Boils in 3 minutes and it is done.
Slightly larger than the Ramen Noodles with a bit more yellow color. They were amazingly tasty with just a bit of chicken broth from a whole roasted chicken on top and a pinch of salt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you eat ramen noodles at all I think you'll find these are better. Each package contains 2 bricks of dried noodles. Even with a smallish pan easy to get them into the water whole, or break down to whatever size you like. A little broth, drippings from whatever else your cooking, etc makes them flavorful. All in all as a first time flyer in a new product I am impressed. Perhaps not quite the lo mein noodles I was searching for. But not bad at all. Today the other half will go into the chicken soup I make from the carcass of the chicken. To which I'll also add shredded carrots, celery perhaps some onion.

• Asian style chow mein stir-fry noodles
  • Chuka soba
  • Cook noodles in boiling water for 3 minutes
  • Drain well and use to make stir-fry noodles
But first the skin, bones leftovers will be boiled for an hour with a chicken builon cube or 2, a touch of curry and poultry seasoning.
I'll then screen out all the bones. pick useable meat from the bones and discard the rest. Done right a 6$ whole chicken becomes food for 2-4 for 2 days with only minor additions and a bit of time. In this cool spring weather we have up here (snowed yesterday, twice) a nice hot tasty meal will go well.
I cook down my chicken carcasses also and save the broth in the freezer. What is the brand name of the stir fry noodles and chuka soba your talking about? Do you get them at a Asian market or any store?

Last edited by Mule 11; 04-13-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Dam spell check

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page