What ? should I ask? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default What ? should I ask?

Pardon the ignorance, but that is why I am looking for some answers. I want to get a set of better grade walkie talkies, along with a base unit to use at my home. I saw a post here about an frs or fms band, one that could use up to 50 watts? I used to have a CB in the early 70's with a small linear that worked pretty well. I would like to be able to communicate in a 15-20 mile radius from a base unit. My work and most of my time is all spent within 20 miles or less from home. I can put up an antenna on an old TV tower with no problem. I also would like a good scanner with the emergency channels for CERT purposes. I would like ones that could use either 110AC with some adaptor as well as battery 12 volt. I cant spend a fortune, but a few hundred I could manage if needed.
What do I need to know in order to ask intelligent questions, first of all, and where is the starting point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM

Default Re: What ? should I ask?

Good questions....with the way cell phone go in emergencies Im reluctant to count on them, but, for 'normal' comm. nowdays I expect they are probably the way to go. I always been one for self reliance and yet I cant keep up with modern tech.
As to power requirements, anything that can use a 12v vehicle battery (car has the built in 'charger') or step-down voltage adapter or an AC inverter that meets the device needs will do.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM

You have 2 choices if your wanting to stay legal. You can earther get you and your wife amiture licence or you can get business radios. The FRS radios are very low power and a mile or 2 is real good with them, and you cannot run a base station on those frequences. The old CB`s are still the best you can do without studing for your lincense or paing the bucks for business band.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

or get a "no-code" ham license
(if they still have that)

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM

Don't even bother with FRS/GMRS, max power is 2 watts and the range is typically only a couple miles if you're lucky.

CB is still an option if you plan on running a base station with a good antenna. I would look at this first.

A better option would be for each of you to get a technician class ham license. You'd have to get the book then study and take the test but it's not too difficult if you study. This would give you access to the VHF/UHF amateur bands. If you have a 2 Meter band repeater in your area this would give you quite a bit of range. There are plenty of affordable options for 2 Meter base, mobile and handheld radios.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page