Graybeard Outdoors banner

Communications with an out building

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  old scar 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to create communications between our cabin and the 5th wheel trailer my daughter is staying in with her cats (under 100'). I thought of GMRS base stations, but most the ones I see on ebay that are inexpensive need power converters to work. So then I though of CB base stations. Couldn't find any. Would have liked to try Radio Shack, but I think they are out of business. Any other ideas or helpful thoughts? Thanks, gene

#2 ·
If you could get your hands on a couple of side band CBs they would do the job.
Surely there's some still on the market.

#3 · (Edited)
Get a 4 pack of inside cordless phones that have the intercom feature.
Or, if you don't want to dial, a set of intercoms is available, as long as you both on the same side of the transformer. they should work fine----got the phone setup myself, shop to house, no problem, 0ver 100 ft. The phone set up will come with a base station and multiple phones. Mine is made by Panasonic.

Just checked, Amazon has the wireless intercom as cheap as $69.00

#5 ·
How about a marine channel radio. In Alaska that’s what most of us used. I had one in my boat and a handheld for the skiff.

Radio shack Is out of business. But standard is a good brand of marine radio.

#6 ·
That's what we used in Kobuk Alaska also, but I'm not sure of the legality of doing that in the lower 48. I've been tied up getting ready to have some skin cancer removed from my ear tomorrow, but will have a week of down time as that heals to pursue this project. Thanks for the thought.

#8 ·
Thanks, it is done now. Kind of ugly, but everything still works. Now I'm trying to slow down. We were done before noon and so took our son out to eat for his birthday (today). That took up to much of the afternoon and then my sister needed to go get some groc. and drop off her ballot. Then I was worn out so Theresa drove home. Bed time now.

#9 ·
How are you healing up gene? Hope you are beginning to feel better soon.

I had 2 big skin cancers removed from the top of my head sept. Of 1917. Been over a year and still not healed completely.

#10 ·
Seem to be healing nicely. I was able to sleep on my left side the last two nights. I am assuming that the Dr cut deep and wide to get it all since it had been there about forty years. We changed the dressing on Thursday for the first time and will probably do it again today after the turkey shoot at our club.

What I find humerus is that it rarely bled until we were in Kobuk and quit once we were back. Maybe the lack of humidity had an effect. Thanks for your prayers. gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.