WTB SMI 50 cal smokeless barrel for encore. Got One - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Default WTB SMI 50 cal smokeless barrel for encore. Got One

Looking to buy a Smokeless muzzleloading inc 50 caliber smokless barrel for my encore. PM me if you have one that you want to sell.

Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 AM

Do some research about shooting smokeless in a BP Encore/Contender barrel.

I am sure there are after market, but bet they are very pricey.

IMHO, you'll be better off buying a Savage, that's what I did.

Bill
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Bill but I'm pretty set on the SMI barrel for my encore. My brother in law has one for his H&R and I would like to have the same or very similar to what he has so we can help each other trying loads.

Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Have you considered having an Encore 45-70 barrel threaded for a Savage breech plug? It's commonly done on H&Rs.

Tim

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/4570conv.html

And as a last resort! http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/products.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Last edited by quickdtoo; 01-22-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Forgot link
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:14 PM

An easier fix is a encore muzzle loader barrel and the breech plug is reamed to accept 25 acp or 22 hornet cases that have been shortened somewhere around .664 top of my head one or the other not one size fits all. I use the 22 hornet and trim it until it closes easily. Enter at your own risk. There are other methods and you can find the plugs online I don't know where tho, my source went and died on me rip mr Thompson...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Have you considered having an Encore 45-70 barrel threaded for a Savage breech plug? It's commonly done on H&Rs.

Tim

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/4570conv.html

And as a last resort! http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/products.html
Yes I have weighed all of my options, and was almost set on a 45-70 barrel and get it converted by arrowhead, but have decided to go the smokelessmuzzleloading.com route. My brother-in-law has one for his H&R and I want to have the same setup for my encore. That way we will be shooting similar loads with sabots. I don't doubt that the 45/70 conversion is a fine way to go, but I am pretty locked in on SMI. Just looking to see if anyone has one for an encore second hand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Before you buy any thing go to( Dougs message boards) and learn something about smokeless muzzleloaders.A 1/38 twist is far from ideal for stabilization.I run an MGM 45/70 barrel converted with the arrowhead breach plug for an Encore..I shoot 40 caliber 250 grain Hornadys in a sabot into 1 inch groups at 200 yards using H4198.That aint gonna happen with a 1/38 twist.Mine is 1/18.How ever it is your money,but it would be nice to only have to spend it one time and be satisfied with what you bought.Huntz

Politically Incorrect
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTZ View Post
Before you buy any thing go to( Dougs message boards) and learn something about smokeless muzzleloaders.A 1/38 twist is far from ideal for stabilization.I run an MGM 45/70 barrel converted with the arrowhead breach plug for an Encore..I shoot 40 caliber 250 grain Hornadys in a sabot into 1 inch groups at 200 yards using H4198.That aint gonna happen with a 1/38 twist.Mine is 1/18.How ever it is your money,but it would be nice to only have to spend it one time and be satisfied with what you bought.Huntz
I have done a lot of research. The barrel you referenced is for the H&R he sells. The standard encore barrel he sells comes in a 1-32 twist. He can also get different twists if I desired. I do have the intention of getting a faster twist in either a 1-28 or something a little faster. If you did research on the barrels from SMI like I have, there are plenty of people who are getting close to 1 inch groups out of there SMI barrels. I have researched posts back to 2005 to read reviews on this barrel. So I know what they will do. The only negative I have read has been in the last couple of years that people weren't as happy with the fit and finish. I am ok with that. I will have more money in the arrowhead conversion than if I were to do the SMI barrel. Get the barrel, send to arrowhead for conversion, shipping both ways, 3 piece ram rod, sizing die etc.

I am aware that the arrowhead conversion in a faster twist, 45/70 caliber conversion will probably shoot better, but I have no intention to shoot benchrest with a muzzleloader. If that is what you are into great. I just want something that will kill a deer and the SMI will fit the bill. Also, I want the SMI barrel as my brother-in-law has one for his h&r. We shoot together, and hunt together. I would like to have the same animal as he does so we can work up loads together.

I appreciate the suggestion but in the end, I have done a ton of research for several weeks. I am on this board, dougs board, modern muzzleloader, hanks message board, checking daily for new information on the barrel I want. There have been a lot of SMI barrels sold since 1984, I just assumed there would be people trying to get rid of one. There are several people I have contacted about selling there barrels after they gave a not so great review, and magically they still use it and don't want to sell it. So I will continue my quest to get an SMI 50 cal barrel. If I shoot at a deer and shoot a half inch away from where I aimed in the kill zone, still a dead deer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 PM

PM Sent
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Found one. Please Lock.

Casey
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page