Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for some leather.

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  mrallen51 
#1 ·
I am starting to mess around with leathersmithing and could use some leather \ scraps if anyone has any to sell.

Thanks,

Mark

#4 ·
Just for the asking at a local upholstery shop, I got several shopping bags full of leather scraps. Basically a lifetime supply of slingshot pouches absolutely free at the local upholstery shop. Might be worth a shot.

#5 ·
the regional tandy warehouse is just up the street here.
years back they used to have a big box full of "scraps"
and trimmings, but the last time i went in for some thread
or needles or whatever it was i found that they no longer
had that bargain box.
i suppose it cost them too many sales of full sides when
folks like me bought too many cheap usable pieces.
sad part is they probably cut it up and toss it instead of
making a few bucks off of it.

#6 ·
I'm looking for a small piece of rawhide for my wife to make a holster for my NAA Ranger II.
So far no luck. I haven't tried the muzzle loading sites yet though.

#12 ·
you can buy those big dog chew "bones" and soak them in warm
water and they'll unroll and you can press them back flat again
and let them dry back into a flat workable piece

#9 ·
#10 ·
I tried Track of the Wolf, and Dixie gun works and no luck on Rawhide.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. :)

#11 ·
Bugeye, you're not hijacking the thread. You have some good ideas.

#16 ·
#14 ·
How about Tandy Leather online? About 7 oz vegetable tanned cowhide leather is most common for holsters and sheaths.
You need to think twice about making a sheath or holster with rawhide...I have done it. Works great until it rains on you, then your sheath gets soft and squishy until it dries again. Dan
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/tooling-shoulders-bends-bellies

#15 · (Edited)
FUN FACTS FYI- People working with medium are called ????smiths. A Blacksmith works iron and steel with coal and fire. A Whitesmith makes items with thin metals like tin, they're also called Tinsmiths. A saddlemakers, saddlesmiths, makes tack and saddles out of leather, wood, metal etc. A carpenter is also known as a woodworker or woodcarver and his medium for his products is wood. A basket-maker makes baskets of various materials. A Leatherworker or a Leathersmith works in leather medium. A cordwainer makes items of rope, string and cord. etc. A weaver, etc., etc. and so on, my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.