Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Gun Projects FOUND

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ramman 
#1 ·
Winter is coming and I like to tinker with old parts or project Guns. Getting harder to get out in the Winter. And I do not get to the local Shows much anymore either due to health issues. So if you may have some old parts or projects laying around, let me know. I like 22 caliber quite a bit, but would consider others.Whole or parts. Even if you do not know what the parts are for. I may know..Thanks

#4 ·
I had once wondered if that was a thing, or if the one my godfather gave me was a one off. I guess these were regularly sporterized back in the day. I wonder if that was a law at some point?

#5 ·
Not a law, but a case of supply and demand. In the 50s & 60s, WWII wasn't that far back in time. The whole world was flooded with milsurp rifles, especially bolt action. The war was over, and not nearly so many rifles needed as while most of the world was at war. At the same time, semi-auto or full auto was the only military rifle governments worldwide wanted, so they dumped all the bolt action rifles. Milsurp bolt guns had very little value. They were everywhere for next to nothing. It was about a $10 Carcano that Oswald used. So everyone added value to them by "sporterizing" them, my Dad included. Today, the very nicely sporterized bolt rifles have some value, but original condition bolt milsurps fetch considerably more money, because they're now relatively rare.

#11 ·
A bit off-base here, but if you ever get to the point where you expect to finish any Japanese Arisaka rifles, be very careful when refinishing. The finish is usually something called "urushi"..a product made from poison sumac, or some such thing.

Tough on hands and I suspect whether stripped or sanded..doesn't do one's lungs any good. Same finish may be found on certain reddish colored Japanese wooden items of that era.

It doesn't hurt to be careful !

https://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/Rifles/Finish/UpM99Fin.htm

#13 ·
Thanks 'carbineone', you reminded me of a project I needed to resume. When my dad passed, a few years back, a family member unknowingly through out the bolt to a Winchester Model 04A .22 carbine my dad had as a boy. It's the gun my brothers and I all learned to shoot with as kids. After searching, in vane, to find a new bolt, I stopped looking. Reading your post got me started looking again and I'm glad to say, I finally aquired a bolt in perfect condition. Now I need to get the barrel and parts reblued, and refinish the stock. It'll be good as new and I can pass it around to my brothers to hold on to for a spell, for old memories.

Anyway, just want to say thanks for the jumpstart, RAMMAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.