Pre 73 Topper 20GA barrel swap CLOSE no longer needed - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Default Pre 73 Topper 20GA barrel swap CLOSE no longer needed

Ok, I know this is a long shot.

Sight unseen, I bought one of the old early scalloped/milled 20gauge barrels for my Topper 158 20ga/30-30 combo gun (snap on forend/milled lightweight receiver). My desire was a sacrificial lamb to chop from 26 down to 20 inches while keeping my original set complete. Well because I was ignorant and did not know there was scalloped frames and barrels out there with screw on forends, I need to do something about my oops. I thought all the scalloped barrels were snap on forends…..I was wrong.

If someone out there has a scalloped 20 gauge or perhaps a 410 barrel with a snap on forend stud and needs a scalloped 26 inch 20 gauge with a mod choke and a screw on style forend in pretty darn nice used shape I would make them a swap.

If no takers I am going to have to find a way to remove the existing screw stud and make and install a snap on forend stud before I break out the hacksaw and make my 20 inch no choke bunny barrel I seek.

To be clear I am seeking a trade for an old school 410 or 20 gauge scalloped topper barrel with a snap on forend stud like the one in the top pic. The 20 gauge barrel in question fits my 158 Topper frame like a glove so it is not for sale....for trade only.

To be further clear: I need a SCALLOPED/MILLED old style barrel in 20 gauge(preferably) or a 410 barrel like the top one in the pics so I can make my 20GAX26" Mod/30-30 Topper 158 set complete with a 20 gauge shorty or add a 410 to the set, either or.

Really hope someone out there is in the opposite pickle I am in.

thanks.

Top barrel style is what I seek, bottom barrel is the one for possible trade:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	240296  

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	240298  

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	578.7 KB
ID:	240300  

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****

Last edited by chuckduster01; 01-24-2020 at 01:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Gun Cabinet

wouldn't it be much simpler to get a screw forearm and stain /paint to match ? especially since you have a good fit ..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
wouldn't it be much simpler to get a screw forearm and stain /paint to match ? especially since you have a good fit ..

1) My Topper 158 is real walnut. 2) I do not really want to have to keep a tool and a spare forend with my "kit". 3) Them two additional things will not fit in my original canvas Topper case either. 4) I can be picky and want it as close to "correct" as possible.

Barring a miracle and someone having the opposite issue I have I will just tig a stud on the barrel and remove the screw stud with a cold method like saw/file. Hopefully that does not discolor things too much. With a good heat sink or a barrel full of water I should be OK...I hope.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****

Last edited by chuckduster01; 01-24-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Goforth's book lists all M158 Toppers having walnut stained hardwood or walnut finished hardwood, the only H&R Inc Topper that I've read of having American walnut stocks are the Mustangs.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Goforth's book lists all M158 Toppers having walnut stained hardwood or walnut finished hardwood, the only H&R Inc Topper that I've read of having American walnut stocks are the Mustangs.

Tim

It has a walnut stock, red rubber buttpad and snap on forend and it was bought that way brand new by a Great Aunt through the mail and it has no serial number. It has a small chip by the receiver and I can assure you it is indeed walnut. Country of origin of said tree I do not know, but I know it is walnut and it was bought that way new.

The Great Aunt lived alone on an island in Lake Huron and it was her deer rifle/meat gathering tool before she passed it on to me then passed on herself. She was not a stock maker or a gunsmith. She bought things to use, and this "tool" was one of her prized possessions. Other than a little mildew staining on the canvas bag and the sling swivel on the buttstock and barrel band on the barrel I installed eons ago, it is as the way it was sent. And it is very much walnut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	240350  

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	240352  

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	240354  

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The book doesn't agree as far as original catalog spec, beech and birch were commonly used and stained walnut.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beech-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	240362  

Name:	birch-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	240364  

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

You believe your book iffin ya unt to. I will believe my eyes, my nose and 40 years of working with wood. We will both sleep soundly tonight.

This thread can be closed, I have a welder lined up.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page