Ruger Single Six .22 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Ruger Single Six .22

Hi, I have three Single Sixes. My first one is a 1977 model and I have two cylinders for it, .22LR and .22WMR. The magnum cylinder is not fluted and is clearly marked .22 magnum. The other cylinder is fluted with no markings, and it will not accept a magnum round as expected.
My second one is 1985 model with only the .22 WMR cylinder, also not fluted and clearly marked magnum.
My third one, which I recently purchased, is a 1973 model with only one cylinder. This cylinder is fluted with no markings on it. I assumed it is a .22 LR, but when I went to test fire it the first time, the .22 LR rounds fell into the cylinder too easily. hmmm.... So I got a .22magnum round and it dropped in. Did Ruger make fluted magnum cylinders with NO markings on them? I have always been under the impression that magnum cylinders were not fluted and marked magnum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Yes, I have an earlier model from '68 that has a fluted 22 wmr cylinder and fluted 22 lr cylinder. Neither one is marked. I believe the 22 wmr is the original cylinder and the 22 lr cylinder was fit later. Both work fine and fit properly. The 22 lr cylinder has a grooved face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15062661437951244102081.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	180673  

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 09-24-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Yes, I have an earlier model from '68 that has a fluted 22 wmr cylinder and fluted 22 lr cylinder. Neither one is marked. I believe the 22 wmr is the original cylinder and the 22 lr cylinder was fit later. Both work fine and fit properly.
Thanks, I assume then, that it would NOT be safe to shoot LR with this cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:26 AM

Correct, don't shoot 22lr in the 22wmr cylinder.

You can get a 22lr cylinder fit by Ruger or buy a new Story cylinder from Midway and fit yourself.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:

You can get a 22lr cylinder fit by Ruger or buy a new Story cylinder from Midway and fit yourself.
Upon closer inspection, I found that the numbers on the front of the cylinder do not match the serial numbers on the frame. Should I be concerned about this or do you think it is OK?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:

Thanks for the referral. I looked at Midway and they are out of stock now, but I read the reviews and was very impressed. I will be buying two when they are available.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM

My 22wmr cylinder has the last three numbers etched on the face but my 22lr cylinder has no numbers. I did fire it after checking the end shake, lock up and cylinder gap. All was ok. It appears as it was not factory fit by the file marks left on the gas ring.

You could talk to Ruger about it or ask who you bought the gun from. I assume you haven't fired it yet. At least check for excessive end shake, cylinder gap and timing if you feel you are capable.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM

Shoot it with some Win Dynapoint 22Mags which are a flash plated 45gr. lead hollowpoint, slower than the true jacketed and they shoot very well in my '72(?) mag cylinder. More thwack than 22LR, not as expensive as jacketed maggies and more accurate in mine than with the LR cyl. (usually considered to be the barrel dimensions as being more suited to the mags).
Wish mine was fluted!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

"Twack"! That's a good description!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 02:17 PM

That Dynapoint 45 is 9grs more than a, what?, typical 36gr. HP in the LR, doesnt seem like much but that is a 25% increase in bullet weight at more velo. That does = noticeably more Thwack on the junk steel targets I often shoot at.
It also makes me more confident in it as a walkabout gun.
From my cast bullet 22Hornet in a rifle days that Dynapoint about equaled my handloads in accuracy and velo (Hornet rifle vs 22Mag rifle, same days, same range). My Hornets are long gone now but the H&R 22Mag Ultra-Varmint has stayed. Once I found out how good the Dyna's were for me I bought a case lot. My old, numb fingers were getting iffy on loading that itty-bitty Hornet cartridge anyway.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-24-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page