New Ruger .22 LCP - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I can see the .22LCP being good for practice if you carry the LCP in 380. Especially for someone like claymike who has issues racking the .380. Leave the .380 loaded and carry in pocket and practice with .22. Shouldn't ever need to rack the .380.
^^^^^^^
True. For the last several years Iíve run a mag of ball ammo through it once a year or so, cleaned it, loaded it with Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast flat nose, and put it back in my pocket. It has always run perfectly. Iím sure that my choice of carry weapon doesnít fit some folksí criteria but Iím comfortable. I consistently carry (meaning if Iím clothed Iím carrying). Iím also sure that more than a few advocates of large handguns lack the discipline to consistently carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9331C94-4010-4956-8834-46371C38EE2F.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	240654  

Iím directly under the cloud...the big puffy one.
Famous last words, Scout Platoon Leader, 6th Battalion, 327th Infantry
Fort Greeley, Alaska 1983

What the Rons said.
Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
^^^^^^^
True. For the last several years Iíve run a mag of ball ammo through it once a year or so, cleaned it, loaded it with Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast flat nose, and put it back in my pocket. It has always run perfectly. Iím sure that my choice of carry weapon doesnít fit some folksí criteria but Iím comfortable. I consistently carry (meaning if Iím clothed Iím carrying). Iím also sure that more than a few advocates of large handguns lack the discipline to consistently carry.

That is probably more than most folks do. Some folks buy a gun and carry it for years and never shoot it. I WILL NOT carry one that I have not test fired for function. I have bought more than one new gun and found out it wouldn't function properly without a little tweaking.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 02:47 PM
dcw

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post
I would be somewhat interested in it, but I have reservations on a semi auto rimfire.

Have nothing against a .22 for a defensive get off me gun. They will work. But being a rimfire, I want the capability of pulling the trigger again if I get a dud. The semi takes two hands and two seconds you won't won't have in a close range defense situation. And 99% of the time, it will be very close range. A few feet instead of yards.

I like pocket size defense guns. Just force of habit formed over a lifetime. I habitually carry in my right hand pants pocket. Easy to get to, and inconspicuous to slip a hand in a pocket and have the gun right in hand ready to go if things look hincky. I don't like the time it takes to reach under a cover garment to get a gun out of a hip holster or pancake.

The Ruger LCP .22 looks like a good practice gun if you already have a .380 LCP, but I'd be more interested if it were a .32acp or even a .25acp. I have some arthritis issues in my hands from a life of cranking on Bridgeport mills and Hardinge lathes, and the past two years have seen some changes. I can no longer shoot a aluminum frame J frame or Ruger LCP .380 without some discomfort or pain. But I can crank 300 rounds of .22 through a Ruger LCR within problems. Forever 30 years my self defense gun was a North American Arms mini .22 recover because it was theonluy gun I could totally conceal in anti gun D.C. Its still my most carried gun in the hot weather since I moved to Texas.

Still, I am a bit interested. Modern .22 ammo is a lot more reliable than it was in my youth. I can't recall the last dud I had, and I shoot about half a bulk box of federal every week with either my S&W 63 or the Ruger LCR, with some through the NAA mini's. CCI seems to be very reliable. A LCP in .22 would be a nice easy gun to shoot, and it would fit in my pants pocket. I'm not wild about the extra unneeded safety on it though. I do like Ruger products. I have an ancient bearcat that has like a zillion rounds through it.
I agree...if choosing the 22lr as SD, I will go with a wheel gun...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 08:38 AM

for the 300 bucks your going to spend on one you can buy a complete lee loading set, a lee 380 mold and enough powder and primers to shoot 380s for years. Then buy yourself a box of gold dots or xtps and load yourself a 100 rounds for carry that will last your life. Heck if you don't load and your on here talking guns id about bet you at least know someone who already does load and will let you use there stuff. Bottom line is most don't practice with there pocket guns anyway and if they do its a couple mags a year. hardly worth getting a 22 version of the gun you want to carry. Heck even if you don't load you can buy a PILE of ball 380 for the cost of that 22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I can see the .22LCP being good for practice if you carry the LCP in 380. Especially for someone like claymike who has issues racking the .380. Leave the .380 loaded and carry in pocket and practice with .22. Shouldn't ever need to rack the .380.

I used to carry a NAA 22mag in my pocket. Did so for about 17 years or so until I bought the LCP. Now that is my front pocket gun. Easy to conceal and forget it is there. I recently discovered that vest are good gun cover. Now, when out and about, I wear a travelers vest in warm weather and a fleece type vest in cooler weather with my S&W3913 on my hip. The vest cover the gun extremely well and easy access to when needed. I may step up to a higher capacity at some point, but really like the slim size of the 3913. I have a Shield 40 but it kicks like a mule and is almost the same overall size as the 3913. I have several other guns to choose from, but I like the alloy frame or plastic ones for weight savings on a carry piece. Always have something bigger with more capacity in the vehicle I am driving to retreat to if need be.

Rosewood

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Some questions on whether the LCP II .22 LR has any accuracy. Well, it appears it is accurate ..if the shooter does his part !
Even then, a laser would allow precision placement...and I cannot recall when I has a CCI round with a fail to fire..

Of course if one prefers, an 8 shot LCR is also available..and S&W has an 8 shot available;

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 02-03-2020 at 03:27 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Some questions on whether the LCP II .22 LR has any accuracy. Well, it appears it is accurate ..if the shooter does his part !
Even then, a laser would allow precision placement...and I cannot recall when I has a CCI round with a fail to fire..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asm4eUcLzkY

Of course if one prefers, an 8 shot LCR is also available..and S&W has an 8 shot available;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6oW7W7-KIs

I picked up a Ruger .22 LCR in early December. I had just put the third 550 round box of Federal bulk ammo through it, and so far Zero malfunctions. Not even a single dud. I can only wonder if the .22 LCP II will do the same?

I doubt it.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page