New Ruger .22 LCP - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Default New Ruger .22 LCP

Ruger has just released a new version of the LCP ll in .22 rimfire. From appearances, it looks to be the same general size as the .380 version. Not my first choice for self defense, though I am sure many will use it for such. I see it more as a pocket / plinking gun for walks in the woods. Sort of like what I use my Walther P-22 for. With the LCP series being so popular, I bet a lot of folks would like a .22 version as an understudy to the .380.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lcp6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	240372  

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 07:23 AM

I'm sure it will be a big seller for the reasons you mentioned, plus for someone who is recoil sensitive and wants something more than a baseball bat to defend themselves.

When I first saw it I thought I wanted one, but after thinking it over I just can't think of what I would actually use it for other than an occasional plinking fun gun. I'm afraid it is one of those guns that I would shoot for a week or so after I got it and then it would spend most of it's time in the safe - for me, loading that 10 round magazine would take a lot of fun out of plinking sessions (there's a reason they ship it with a magazine loader!).

Looks like street price will be around $300 which is a good buy if you're looking for that type of gun.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I'm sure it will be a big seller for the reasons you mentioned, plus for someone who is recoil sensitive and wants something more than a baseball bat to defend themselves.
I completely agree with Spruce on this one. I’ve had an LCP in my pocket ever since they first came out. While many consider the .380 or .22 to be wimpy the LCP is always on my person. My “manly, powerful, effective, man-stopping” 1911 is in a highway holster in my truck where I spend very little time. My J-frame is in the nightstand, my Taurus Judge is in the cab of the tractor, etc. But my LCP is always in my pocket. Better than a ball bat and readily available.

I have a buddy who plans to remove the safety from a .22 LCP. I’ll be interested to see how that goes. Due to the small size of the LCP arthritis makes racking the .380 LCP difficult so I may eventually go with the .22.

I’m directly under the cloud...the big puffy one.
Famous last words, Scout Platoon Leader, 6th Battalion, 327th Infantry
Fort Greeley, Alaska 1983

What the Rons said.
Ron Swanson & Ron Burgundy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I completely agree with Spruce on this one. I’ve had an LCP in my pocket ever since they first came out. While many consider the .380 or .22 to be wimpy the LCP is always on my person. My “manly, powerful, effective, man-stopping” 1911 is in a highway holster in my truck where I spend very little time. My J-frame is in the nightstand, my Taurus Judge is in the cab of the tractor, etc. But my LCP is always in my pocket. Better than a ball bat and readily available.

I have a buddy who plans to remove the safety from a .22 LCP. I’ll be interested to see how that goes. Due to the small size of the LCP arthritis makes racking the .380 LCP difficult so I may eventually go with the .22.
^^^THAT^^^ all true..My daughter-in-law got her permit, and I gave her choice of my guns..she chose my LCP custom w/Laser...so now I carry my Glock 42 to church.

Yes, apparently I can't carry concealed so well as some, so I stick to the smaller guns..even though my hands are closer to catcher's mitts.

I tend to think the .22LR is very under rated, especially in the lineup CCI has to offer, such as the Velociter..with CCI's outstanding in the rimfire field.

Then too, getting the gun into action in a timely manner when needed, counts for much. I have the same deal with arthritis as does Claymike. Perhaps 8-10 rounds from a .22 Velociter or Stinger can be as effective as a couple from my .38 S&W or another.

Some police agencies claim that the .22 LR is lethal way beyond it's size. I have an American Arms .22, a Walther PPK clone...and I shoot that pistol more often than all my other handguns combined.

Adding a laser would be formidable... face shots would be easy ....

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 01-26-2020 at 09:50 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Concerning oneself about the lethality of a round is a wrong approach to take. As civilians it is NOT our place to try to kill the person attacking us. Our legal right is to STOP the attack on us. Once that attack is stopped we are required to stop shooting.

So it is a matter of how quickly and effectively a round or multiple rounds stop the action against us that matters.

So yes a magazine full of .22LR might kill a person. But that person might also kill you before they die. That is not a win for you.

Each person should carry what they feel comfortable with but to carry a pipsqueak gun cuz it is better than it's given credit for being cuz it really can kill folks or critters is not sound logic.

If you are attacked by another person, your right to defend is limited to stopping the attack. That might take one shot or all your magazine holds. it might even just require showing that you have a gun and are prepared to use it. Each round you fire is one more round you have to explain to the jury as to why you kept shooting.

I do not presume to tell anyone else what they should carry or how they should act in defense of life. What I am comfortable with is a .40 S&W using Gold Dot JHPs in a full size gun. Just a short while back this was the most popular choice among law enforcement for their carry gun. it has now fallen out of favor with LEOs as the 9mm is now again popular.

What I actually carry most often tho is a S&W Shield in 9mm. No I'm not as comfortable with the ability of it to end a fight quickly but it is more physically comfortable for me to carry than the larger and heavier full size .40 so I often compromise.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:09 PM

I would be somewhat interested in it, but I have reservations on a semi auto rimfire.

Have nothing against a .22 for a defensive get off me gun. They will work. But being a rimfire, I want the capability of pulling the trigger again if I get a dud. The semi takes two hands and two seconds you won't won't have in a close range defense situation. And 99% of the time, it will be very close range. A few feet instead of yards.

I like pocket size defense guns. Just force of habit formed over a lifetime. I habitually carry in my right hand pants pocket. Easy to get to, and inconspicuous to slip a hand in a pocket and have the gun right in hand ready to go if things look hincky. I don't like the time it takes to reach under a cover garment to get a gun out of a hip holster or pancake.

The Ruger LCP .22 looks like a good practice gun if you already have a .380 LCP, but I'd be more interested if it were a .32acp or even a .25acp. I have some arthritis issues in my hands from a life of cranking on Bridgeport mills and Hardinge lathes, and the past two years have seen some changes. I can no longer shoot a aluminum frame J frame or Ruger LCP .380 without some discomfort or pain. But I can crank 300 rounds of .22 through a Ruger LCR with no problems. For over 30 years my self defense gun was a North American Arms mini .22 revolver because it was the only gun I could totally conceal in anti gun D.C. Its still my most carried gun in the hot weather since I moved to Texas.

Still, I am a bit interested. Modern .22 ammo is a lot more reliable than it was in my youth. I can't recall the last dud I had, and I shoot about half a bulk box of Federal every week with either my S&W 63 or the Ruger LCR, with some through the NAA mini's. CCI seems to be very reliable. A LCP in .22 would be a nice easy gun to shoot, and it would fit in my pants pocket. I'm not wild about the extra unneeded safety on it though. I do like Ruger products. I have an ancient bearcat that has like a zillion rounds through it.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Last edited by cb51; 01-31-2020 at 09:11 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:16 AM

im with bill. the thing makes no sense for concealed carry and neither does the 22lr. Same size weight ect I can have a 380 and probably even buy it cheaper. No brainer to me. 22 might make a pocket gun for woods bumming IF IT is accurate enough. But its not a valid self defense gun. 380 is at the bottom of that list if you ask me. I have an lcp in a wallet holster in both my jeep and pickup glove box. There there in case I just happen to not be carrying a gun that day which is rare. I don't even call them a primary carry gun. 22 lcp might make sense for someone as a practice gun because of cheap ammo but my lcps eat cast loads for lunch and casting my own and loading I can make ammo as cheap as good 22 shells. 22lr's have two uses in my book that that's potting small game or paper targets. Im sure not trusting one to protect my family anymore them im going dangerous game hunting with a 556

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 AM

To me it's more of a novelty than anything else. For plinking a Ruger Standard, Buckmark, S&W Victory, and a host of others make a lot more sense - much more accurate and magazines are easier to load. This gun may or may not be accurate, but SHOOTING it accurately will be a challenge!

But it will be a big seller, there won't be any collecting dust on the LGS shelves, at least for a while!

And it does make sense as a cheap trainer if you don't want to reload, and for someone who lacks hand strength and/or is very recoil sensitive due to health reasons it would be a lot better than nothing.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 09:54 AM

I can see the .22LCP being good for practice if you carry the LCP in 380. Especially for someone like claymike who has issues racking the .380. Leave the .380 loaded and carry in pocket and practice with .22. Shouldn't ever need to rack the .380.

I used to carry a NAA 22mag in my pocket. Did so for about 17 years or so until I bought the LCP. Now that is my front pocket gun. Easy to conceal and forget it is there. I recently discovered that vest are good gun cover. Now, when out and about, I wear a travelers vest in warm weather and a fleece type vest in cooler weather with my S&W3913 on my hip. The vest cover the gun extremely well and easy access to when needed. I may step up to a higher capacity at some point, but really like the slim size of the 3913. I have a Shield 40 but it kicks like a mule and is almost the same overall size as the 3913. I have several other guns to choose from, but I like the alloy frame or plastic ones for weight savings on a carry piece. Always have something bigger with more capacity in the vehicle I am driving to retreat to if need be.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 AM

That Taurus TX-22 has some pretty good reviews and it holds more rounds than the other compact .22 semis. I think it would be a good plinker also. I also read the TX-22 was designed and is built here in the US instead of Brazil.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page