Problem; Ruger LCP Custom. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Default Problem; Ruger LCP Custom.

Take down & clean LCP custom (red trigger).. Daughter-in-Law used it for a training session, 100 rounds or better. Later found she could not rack the

slide more than about a quarter or 3/8 of an inch.

I tried it and found the same..and assumed it was primarily dirty. Tore it down, cleaned and lubed it...problem did not go away.

It racks easily for about a quarter or 3/8 inch..then hits a hard stop.

Even before cleaning, it was a hard stop..like hitting a definite hard, steel blockage of some kind, so now that it is clean it's doing the same thing.

Help please !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 03-10-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:23 AM

Could the recoil spring be binding? Look for damage with the spring and where it mounts and slides on the guide rod.

Go Donald Go!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I am inclined to think that it has to do with resetting the striker. 3/4 of an inch is about the point where the trigger pops back forward as the sear engagement resets. My other thought was the magazine catch. There isn't much to the magazine catch on those little guns. If it broke then the magazine could be extending up into the magazine well too far and the bolt could be coming up against it and that would stop the bolt solid. That would be easily determined by running the slide back with the magazine removed. The magazine has to be installed if I remember correctly before the trigger can be pulled but you can run the slide minus the magazine.

I sure wish I were closer so that I could look at it.

My daughter just brought me back the LC9S that I had given her. She had never even fired the gun, liked her snubby better. I fired it three rounds over the weekend and then it broke. I took it apart and the striker spring came unhooked so I put it back where it belonged only for it to come right back off after the first round fired. This one is going back to Ruger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.. I tried it with and without the magazine, the striker spring is totally intact there. This LCP is one with the steel guide rod for the recoil springs,

Two of them with twist in opposite directions...and they seem OK..

Looks like I have to all my grandson..and see what he says. Kind of baffling all the way around ! If you think of anything new, please add it.. THANKS !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in