Got Drawn in the Maine Moose Lottery - MOOSE IS OFFICALLY DOWN! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Default Got Drawn in the Maine Moose Lottery - MOOSE IS OFFICALLY DOWN!

Well, I drew a Bull in Wildlife Management District 13 during the October hunt. Anyone live in or around WMD 13 and have any insight to share. I have permission from the wife to get a guide, so if you know someone that guides in that area let me know. A link to MDIF&W's map of WMD 13 is below.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/ma...pdfs/wmd13.pdf

Life Member NAHC, TU
NRA & Outdoor Educator
Hunter Ed. Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Got Drawn in the Maine Moose Lottery - The Work Begins

One of my cousins has a family deer camp in North New Portland. Next time I talk to him I'll ask him if he knows of any moose hot spots in the area.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Bossloper,
Congrats, you did much better in ME than I did in NH. NH only issued 395 permits, a far cry from ME's #. Good luck and enjoy!
Mild Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I didn't get picked but two guys that I work with got picked in NH, one is a friend of mine. He got the D2 WMU. I live in the J1 area, if I ever get picked for my area I'll be golden. I see way more moose than deer in my area.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM

Just saw this.....good for you Boss. I'd give the folks at the Oxbow Lodge a call in Oxbow Maine. They are just terrific!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Got Drawn in the Maine Moose Lottery - MOOSE IS OFFICALLY DOWN!

He is not a monster, but we were looking for a good eater and that's exactly what he is. The bull was approximately 2 years old. His full weight was 850 pounds, and he dressed out at 620 pounds. I took him in WMD 13 about 15 minutes before hunting was done on the second day with my Marlin 1895 cowboy in 45-70. For reference, I am 5'11" and 185 pounds.

We decided to sit on the side of hill overlooking a nice cutting that housed tons of fresh sign. We took our spot and began calling at 2:30 in the afternoon. We were on Plum Creek logging property and it was a 30 minute drive out so we decided to walk down to the truck and head back at 5:45. When we got in the truck it was about 6:00, and I noticed that I had cell phone coverage, so we decided to take a few minutes and call our daughter.

We started moving at about 6:05pm. We drove slowly and started to come around a bend to the right when two moose busted out of the woods on to the old logging road we were on. I jumped out and loaded a round and preceded to start looking through the scope. One was broadside in the middle of the road, but no antlers and I had a bull permit. The other one was behind the cow, and I couldn't see anything to confirm its sex. The one behind the cow started heading down the road and the cow took out after it. I turned and looked at the my wife & Dan our guide, and lit out out after the moose going full bore. They went around another bend and I lost sight of them so I let out a cow call in hopes of getting them to stop. As I approached the bend the flap on my holster that was holding my S&W model 29 came undone and the revolver flew out on to the road. I had to back track about 15' to get it, so now I am running full bore with a gun in each hand.

As I get to the bend I can see only one moose in the road. I holster the S&W and start looking through the 4 power scope on the marlin, but it was 6:10pm now, and the light wasn't giving me what I needed to see any antlers. I let out another cow call and it turned its head slightly to the right, and as it did so the inside of his right antler caught some sun coming through the woods and just lit up . I start to take aim for a head shot and off it went again.

I put the cross hairs on the back right behind the hump and fired. He nose dived right into the dirt and never got up again. The bullet went in right behind the hump and exited in front of it and caught the left side of the spine. We spun him around and field dressed him under the truck lights. I got to sit in the pitch dark for about 75 minutes until the trailer got their. We got down off the mountain at 9pm and crammed as much ice as would fit in him until morning when the tagging station opened. Hopefully I will get a call today or tomorrow from the butcher to go and pick him up. The hide is soaking in water and we're going to try brain tanning it as well. My wife was with me and it was a great vacation, and she is already planning for next year when she hopes to draw a permit.

Life Member NAHC, TU
NRA & Outdoor Educator
Hunter Ed. Instructor
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing. Moose meat is great and it looks like he'll be perfect for that.

Liberal Logic 101:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM

congrats
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to DANNY-L Send a message via MSN to DANNY-L Send a message via Yahoo to DANNY-L

How did you get something that size outta the woods in one piece. Looks good enough to eat
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Boss:
Congratulations! Zone 13 is a tough one, good that you had a guide. The best zones are 1 and two at the top of the state. I have a camp in Greenville and one in andover that are available for friends to use in bear and moose season.. I don't believe the states figures on moose population, the winter ticks have decimated the herd for a few years. They are finally trying to do something!
NW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page