Homepage Section - Thoughts ideas? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

At least the frames on the two wheel forum are interesting. I suppose there is currently insufficient content to show frames on the Home page.

Right now, the GBO Home Page, left justified, single frame entitled "Most Popular Discussions" is bland and devoid of character, which is why you're asking for content. Asking a bunch of users for their opinions, which have never really been formulated toward that request, mostly because they have never thought about or built an Internet Web Site before, is to expect definition of the undefined.

Ordinarily, a page is built and the users "enjoy" or complain about the content. Making this stuff up as we go along has never been GBO Membership food for thought. So, the context in which the request for information is made is as foreign as a new language.

I doubt one in 10,000 on this site have experience in html and I recognize you are not asking for code but content.

Some thoughts:

1.) The fixed GBO Header is, by comparison, tall, because it was designed that way. Is there a way to squeeze a few lines of 12-point pica type out of the GBO Header? But not contort, squish or redesign it.

2.) My Monitor displays as follows:

{Forgive the names as I don't recall the specific line item code names}

3.) Perhaps some of the Line items are User toggled On and Off, but I don't know which and I would say I am only slightly more experienced in PC use (not setup) than many. A tutorial on turning line items on and off would be useful - not a GBO "problem" per se. Maybe just a link to an already formulated tutorial (if there is one).

4.) By the time I reach CONTENT, there just is not much "left over" space. It's like 70% "stuff" already used and only 30% content. I don't know how you squeeze more content into an already filled display - to make it more interesting. Take "white space" space from the GBO and Advertising banners? Together they represent about 20% to 25% of the display. When I "wrote code" for page development there were tweaks that could be taken, even in "canned" web page development, IIRC.

5.) Take out what little white space there is, if any, between line items?

6.) This isn't the "content" you were looking for.

7.) I will warm up to specific content as I continue my stream of consciousness.

Last edited by land_owner; 12-09-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Thanks guys,

I will work on getting the homepage setup and archive the info next week. I don't to make any major changes moving into the weekend.

Jeff M
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

New Homepage section:

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/218-go2...page-news.html

It should populate the homepage within a few days, I will look for content to add.

Note when posting put a Hosted image in the first line of the thread for the image to show on the homepage here: https://www.go2gbo.com/

Case #2384801

Jeff M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Note I posted some placeholders here, we can update with other articles you guys think might work best.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/218-go2...page-news.html

Jeff M
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

New Homepage section is up.

Feel free to Update, ping me or and Admin if you need help.

https://www.go2gbo.com/

Jeff M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page