Gun Cabinet - Updated Terms - Input Needed - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Gun Cabinet - Updated Terms - Input Needed

Looking for input on updated terms for this section and to remove the auto stuff.

Any input: https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/garage....tvehicle&v=185

- Name
- Make
- Model
- Finish
- Sight
- Barrell
etc....

Thanks in advance.

Jeff M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

BUMP - any other thoughts?

Jeff M
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 AM

Gun Cabinet

Maybe caliber

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Or action.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

When discussing our guns we want to know things such as type of firearm (pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader, etc). We also want to know the brand or if a custom.

Within those categories we have all sorts of options such as if a rifle is it a single shot, lever action, pump action, semiauto or full auto or bolt action.

Within just revolvers alone we have single actions and double actions and in the semiauto pistol area we have single action, double action, striker fired and so on.

Folks want to know what type of sights or scope you have on your handguns and rifles as well as shotguns used for hunting big game.

With shotguns you have single shots, pump guns, semi auto, side by side doubles and over/under doubles. Then as a special category you have drillings.

We discuss what type stock we have on long guns and how it's finished even down to what type recoil pad it might wear.

These are by no means all the things a person might want to share or someone might want to know of guns being discussed. Perhaps others can add some suggestions here.

For sure a wrench and hammer are not properly representative of a gun cabinet. Maybe a handgun and a long gun or a couple of handguns or long guns would be a more appropriate icon.

While on the subject of icons, the Trappers are not happy with the trap depiction icon for their forum that shows the trap having teeth. Modern traps do not have teeth on the jaws they are smooth.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Bill offered, in another thread, somewhere across the wide and vast array of GBO threads in this new software, that gun owners are at first skeptcial of gun cabinet presentation on the Net. Big Brother is always watching and gun owners are a skeptical lot when it comes to the mechanizations of our government.

Some will find the gun cabinet to be a source of great fun. Others will give it a passing glance. Many, I think, particularly the old timers, will forego it in its entirety.

Should we take a Membership poll as to its (pick any) appropriateness, usefulness, political correctness, NSA/HSA/FBI/CIA/ATFE fear factor, etc., of the gun cabinet? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe let its use be dependent on the entry/exit/use of the gun cabinet by the GBO Membership, which is to say do nothing at present and await recommendations and requests from Membership.

What I did notice there, early on and I have not been back lately, was a bend toward automotive in the lower categories. Maybe that was User Profile though. So much is going on that I cannot remember and I don't get the chance to sit on GBO and go through it 4 to 8 hours a day (or more). Some of us are still Wage Slaves and the Boss expects billable work for what we're paid. Can you imagine that!?!? Go figure...at the office now. Got to go.

Last edited by land_owner; 12-08-2016 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Thanks guys...

I need to get @atllaw in here also.

I will get this cooking for you guys.

Jeff M
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I have now actually set up a gun cabinet and taken a look at what is there now and so have a better understanding of the idea.

All that stuff there now should be trashed. I see no reason to even try to come up with something similar to the truck stuff for guns.

Lot's of my personal photos have multiple guns in them as in the one I posted to the gun cabinet. As such a description with the photo just isn't appropriate. As a long time gun owner with lots of photos of guns I have now and in the past I just don't want to be personally involved in a detailed description of each tied to a phone in something called a gun cabinet.

We have threads on many of the forums where folks post their guns of whatever type that forum represents. As an example the Single Action Handgun forum has such a thread. I posted perhaps 20-30 guns in that thread as did Lloyd. Such threads on specific forums is where folks here have always looked for photos of other member's guns.

I for one just don't see the benefit of a cookie cutter approach to all sites. I believe people are attracted to sites not because they are just like all others but rather because of the differences and they go to the one most attractive to them. Just my thoughts on that YMMV.

I would suggest the limit be removed. Even in just the single action handgun forum thread on SA guns I posted more than the current limit of 25 would allow. I'd say at least 100 photos should be allowed if you want folks to really use it for that purpose and don't try to emulate what the truck forum equivalent is but just let folks post their photos there if they wish and anyone can then ask for details which can be shared if the poster feels comfortable in doing so.

I suspect most members already have posted to the various forums more images of their guns than the current gun cabinet will allow.

Trying to make gun forums, truck forums, lawn mower forums, fishing forums, golfing forums and so on conform to a single cookie cutter format just isn't right. That's the view from here.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

One problem with posting on this site now (if I understand it correctly) is that you have to put the pictures in the cloud to be able to put them here. Not something I'd want to do, or even know how to do. gene
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I've never used any "cloud" and I've posted a bunch of pics, they're either attached to the forum, hosted on MHP or in the Gallery.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page