Deck Paint - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Default Deck Paint

Getting ready to paint our deck over our carport and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on a good quality paint for decks. The previous owners used latex paint and painted it a few months before we bought the place. We have been stripping down to bare wood and they didn't use any primer before painting. We're finishing up sanding it down and getting ready to primer it.

wtxbadger

wtxbadger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 PM

I used Thompson Waterseal Advanced on my shed, over 7 years ago and it is now just starting to show places where it does not shed water. Just be sure you use the Advanced, the regular one only lasted about a year or two before showing signs of wear. I just ordered three gallons off Amazon because both Lowes and Home depot didn't carry it, I got the clear for my deck, hopefully it lasts as long, but probably not on the traffic areas. If you want to look up reviews, and spend a bit more you can try this:

It is supposed to be much better than even the Thompsons Waterseal Advanced.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 PM

I just did my deck last summer with Behr and it came out nice. Don't use that real thick stuff that they advertise on tv, where they dance and you don't get slivers. I know two people who used it and I does not hold up, it comes off in chunks. It is very expensive too. If you are starting with bare wood I would stain not paint. Stain can fade paint will flake off.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, if we were starting off with new bare wood Thompson water seal would definitely be an option but at this point as weathered as it is I'm thinking it needs a good paint to seal it and cover it.

We saw the ads for that special Behr deck treatment and wondered about it. Several reviews I read were negative about it and it's good to have that confirmed.

wtxbadger
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM

motor oil mixed with kerosene.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 PM

When I said I used behr I meant their preservative like waterseal. The boards were weathered on my deck too, the preservative really brings it back and won't peel. you could stain it first then treat it with something like the behr I used or waterseal it comes out nice. Paint will always peel eventually the preservative I used is available with stain in it and it will fade but it is easily refinished with no sanding.

mike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification on that. We've been leaning towards painting again but using a good sealant instead is appealing. Scraping and sanding off paint is not one of my favorite things to do for sure.

badger

wtxbadger
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM

Consider a two-part marine paint. You do not need antifouling bottom paint, just a marine deck paint.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Sure do appreciate everyone's input. The boss lady decided she wanted it painted gray and we wound up using valspar porch, floor and deck paint. Came out looking pretty good, got my fingers crossed it weathers and holds up for a good long while.

wtxbadger
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Even though that will hold up for a while you put yourself back in your original position. Donít shoot the messenger...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page