Graybeard Outdoors banner

Electric Hot Water Heaters

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Blue Duck 
#1 ·
Time to replace the one I have. Its a 50 gal. tank and wondering if I couldn't get by with a 40 gal. tank this time? Don't want to be caught short, but it's just the wife and I. Is 40 gal. plenty or should I stick with the 50 gal. tank?

#5 ·
We have a 30 and a 20 gallon. The 20 gallon supplies one bath room and is plenty---unless your wife takes the first shower and spends a lot of time doing it. That doesn't happen with us. The 30 gallon takes care of the other bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room and doesn't have to work very hard. This bathroom seldom has anyone shower in it and the laundry is now done with cold water. It's main use is supplying water to wash dishes with. When it finally dies I may replace it with a 20 gallon. Two people just don't require a lot of hot water.

#6 ·
We've been using a 40gal gas heater for the last 30yrs, works fine for the two of us, we can take back to back showers or baths(not using the same water!!) with no issues, gas is so much faster and cheaper than electric here even tho electricity is cheap, gas is still cheaper even tho it's slightly less efficient due to vent heat loss.

Tim

#8 · (Edited)
Natural gas may be less expensive than electric but is a " manufactured " gas like propane less expensive than electric? I doubt it. I like electric because it's easy to install. Connect the cold water inlet, hot water outlet, 240V power and I'm singing in the shower... (hehehe.)

Currently I have a 50 gal. unit. At replacement time I would consider a 40 gal., maybe a 30 gal.. Three kids are gone so just me and the boss. When we were working I did have a timing motor turn the unit on early in the morning, off during the day and back on a night. Now that we are home I leave it on all the time. We don't use a lot of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.