GFCI foibles - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

As to home owner insurance, it paid off when we had the fire. I had wired it with a residential wiremans' license under 1978 electric code. So now we have a mix betwixt 1978 and current code. To get the old up to modern, (which is not necessary), about all that would need to be done is to put a bar on the breakers for two circuits running in a 12/3 cable.
All wires are #12,10, and 6. Nothing smaller. And yes, I have had to track down a couple loose neutrals.
For the GFI circuits, I am only using a max of 4 outlets now, though not specified in the code. No doubt experience would have told me that, but I went to mining coal, and am just now getting back to it. Its been "interesting".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 PM

I learned recently (I am a novice) that where a GFI receptacle is located on a circuit is important. Should be the closest to the breaker to provide protection to the others on the same run. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Yes. There are two types. One goes in as a breaker. The kind that go in as an outlet protect everything downstream of it.
I wish I could take one apart and see what makes it work, but that would be like taking a computer apart. Electrical wizardry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Have you solved the problem yet? Eager to discover the answer. Please share.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. Basically the more outlets, the more finicky they get. So I cut the circuits down to four. That will satisfy the code and keep me going. I get tired of the same old project dragging along. So now I'm done, and will have it all covered up as soon as the drywallers get here. So no fireworks with the wiring. Now I can celebrate with fireworks outside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page