GFCI foibles - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Default GFCI foibles

Anyone know what makes these things kick out for no good reason? I tried to put one on an outlet circuit in the basement kitchen and do it according to code like a good boy. Anything I plugged in to it tripped it. Finally I got fed up with the outlet type, and just put one in at the breaker box. Well great! I plugged in a fan and it ran. Then I plugged in a drill along with the fan and it tripped. Today I spent yet another day out of my life at cutting half the outlets off and putting them on another circuit. Then went outside with a grass whip and took out my frustrations on some weeds. Haven't tried the gfci circuit yet, but if tomorrow is a repeat of past adventures, I'll skip the code. And I still have the bathroom heater to contend with.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:10 PM

My guess is you have a wiring or panel problem. I am not an electrician but I know the GFI is supposed to trip when it encounters uneven current between the hot and neutral wires. Call a pro, and sleep better.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 AM

Sometimes it is just that particular GFCI breaker/outlet itself. A cheap test is to replace that GFCI outlet or breaker and see if behaves or not. Some are overly sensitive.

Master Piddler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

So far, the outlet GFI is working ok on it's half of kitchen outlets. The one in the breaker box is acting better now too. According to the guys who do this for a living, GFI circuits work best the fewer outlets they monitor. So cutting the circuit in half gives each half four instead of eight. Apparently eight is too many. Live and learn. Had the same trouble 40 years ago when it was originally wired. And there were probably twice that many outlets. So I took the GFI breakers out. Everything worked great till the fire! (It was the toaster).
Another kink is that the GFI breaker is also AFCI. So when it trips, its just a guess which is the problem. I'm getting close to being done, but still have another circuit to troubleshoot. Be glad when we can finally put up the drywall.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
My guess is you have a wiring or panel problem. I am not an electrician but I know the GFI is supposed to trip when it encounters uneven current between the hot and neutral wires. Call a pro, and sleep better.
They actually detect if there is voltage between neutral and ground which creates a potentially dangerous situation. And yes, if you have that, you need a pro to find and fix the problem.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:19 PM

I don't recommend plugging a freezer into a GDFI circuit. Especially if the freezer is in a basement or garage or anywhere you will not immediately notice the detector has tripped.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I don't recommend plugging a freezer into a GDFI circuit. Especially if the freezer is in a basement or garage or anywhere you will not immediately notice the detector has tripped.
Great point.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Kitchen code for GFI circuits applies only to counter top outlets, or within six feet of the sink. So I'm good on the freezers. Had to check though, couldn't remember. I think the two outlets for the freezers are the only ones on that circuit. Fridge needs a dedicated circuit for the code. Also for a dish washer or garbage disposal, which I don't plan on putting in. (getting tired of running wires for "just in case"), and getting tired of buying more wire for sure. I don't plan on putting drywall on the ceiling except for the bedroom, so it won't be that bad of a job to do later on.

There is another head scratcher. I need to access both breaker panals for a generator, as I have one on the main floor and one in the basement. So do I need two pole disconnects? Really don't want to back feed it though a breaker. (This was supposed to be done by the electrician who wired the main floor, but he really didn't want to do it).
At present, if we need the gen, its a cord through the window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page