Opening Day Buck Pole - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Opening Day Buck Pole

Three of us got 4 deer at the Chain O Lakes state park deer reduction on Monday. Three nice does and a good body spike buck. Weapons were 445SM H&R, handloads with 225ftx, 12ga Tar Hunt with Barnes Expanders, and 358win short brass with 200ftx. All made short work with good hits.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Here is my buck for this year. Shot at a whopping 25 yards with a Ruger American .308 stoked with Barnes 130 TSX that I got from Dinny. Quartering away shot tore up the heart pretty bad. Odd thing was that this bullet expanded beautifully, but did not even get into the off-side shoulder. Found between rib meat and inside muscle of the off-side shoulder. Buck didn't wobble but 15 yards before doing a header into the creek!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 308 buck 8 point.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	812.4 KB
ID:	141633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	308 130 grain barnes tsx.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	141641  

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
Odd thing was that this bullet expanded beautifully, but did not even get into the off-side shoulder.
I wonder if that's because of the relatively low weight. Maybe if it were a 165, 168, or a 180gr bullet it may have penetrated deeper.

Glad it worked!

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
Here is my buck for this year. Shot at a whopping 25 yards with a Ruger American .308 stoked with Barnes 130 TSX that I got from Dinny. Quartering away shot tore up the heart pretty bad. Odd thing was that this bullet expanded beautifully, but did not even get into the off-side shoulder. Found between rib meat and inside muscle of the off-side shoulder. Buck didn't wobble but 15 yards before doing a header into the creek!
Alright! Way to go. That is an interesting one with the bullet? My two with the 300wm are probably still going, even after the shoulders they demolished! They were the ttsx, the tipped version, not that it makes any difference. My buddy just used my 308 with 150gr sst's for pass thrus on 3 good sized deer, so I doubt it is a bullet weight issue.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Wanted to edit my post to add muzzle velocity, but edit was not available...

Measured velocity at 15' was corrected back to muzzle velocity at 2996 fps.
@dinny -
Barnes advertises being able to drop down to the next weight in bullet and retain the same penetration as a cup/core, so the 130 TSX should have penetrated the same as a 150 cup/core bullet. Nothing has ever stopped my 150 SST when fired from the .308 Encore pistola.

That TSX sure made a pretty mushroom though!!!!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 AM

Congrats folks. I ended up taking a doe on the last morning. Was using a 308 with siera 180 grn. Just a tad over kill for 15 yards. Still not seeing mature deer rrrr

Lonny

INDIANA GUYS, WE HAVE OUR OWN FORUM Here>>https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,249.0.html
GBO SERVER DONATION INFO
: https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,12050.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page