This ain't the religious forum! - Page 28 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I think some are looking at the "letter of the law" instead of the "spirit of the law". Maybe GB needs to chime in, but I imagine the rule was to keep from preaching on this forum. Mentioning God or your beliefs isn't exactly preaching. Explaining your position via religion isn't preaching.

Sure hope these "letter of the law" folks never become judges. Because when the laws are unreasonable, or do not make sense in certain case, you are going to jail anyway. No room for interpretation.

Rosewood
Many times the claim of being right, with the other side being wrong, can be the problem.
Which is what was just said.

Your opinion, does not mean the other side is wrong.
It means you have opposing views, and your having trouble with site, and forum rules you agreed to.

Politicians do it all the time when they say; I was for it. Before I was against it. Or, vise versa

I myself am a Christian, but God Himself, has no interest in man's politics.

But like it or not, He is thrown into the political fire as a crutch for those having trouble expressing themselves on an issue pertaining to a system, created by man.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Orwell said that when we canít say something with precision our thoughts arenít precise. ...
Is this the reason that the line between politics and religion is constantly blurred?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Your "moral common sense" should serve you well enough.
Feel free to tell me if you believe that I'm wrong, but I think, as if anyone cares what I think, that:
if your faith dictates your moral compass,
and your moral compass dictates your belief, then
your response to a question about your belief will reflect your faith.

Some people may feel the need to respond to a question by quoting chapter and verse. Thereby introducing religion into a non-religion topic.

To avoid this and present a precise, and acceptable, response to a question, one could search the verse for its moral foundation/teaching point. This is the actual basis for your belief.

'course, I didn't say it would be easy...

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #273 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Perhaps you are right, maybe it is time for me to weigh in on the matter. Your idea of the "spirit of the law" rather than the "letter of the law" is really at the heart of the matter.

Yes it was my intention when I wrote that rule that religious discussion take place on the forums set up for that purpose. That is still my desire.

But realistically in the world we live in today you cannot completely and totally separate religion and politics. The two have become so deeply intertwined that many topics if discussed in depth require some discussion of both.

It is also true that I no longer own the site and so I confess I act a bit differently now that I am not the owner. So long as I chose to remain the administrator of the site in charge of actions and words between member, moderators and admin then I feel a fiduciary responsibility to the site owners to try to help them make the site profitable. When I owned it page views wasn't important to me cuz that wasn't how I got paid by advertisers.

But it is how VS gets paid so my fiduciary responsibility to them is to try to maximize page views within my limited ability to affect that. So yes from my perspective threads like this that go on and on and get loads of posts and page views is good and healthy for the site.

I'd rather see things go back to how they were when I set it up. That we talk about guns and hunting and shooting and other outdoor related issues. I know I don't start many of those conversations. I don't hunt anymore and don't shoot very much these days either so don't have much current involvement to talk about.

So by way of clarification of what I expect in relation to the rule of religion on that forum and politics on that forum here is my position.

I'm gonna name names, well name to be more exact. Goodshot is the name. What he does, which by the way, is to make every post about religion and nothing else is wrong. I have spoken to him of this before and asked him to tone it down. He did a little while then was back to his old ways. More specifically every single post he makes to this site no matter the subject of the thread is of a religious nature. Ask if you should buy a Remington or a Winchester and his response will be to tell you how to save your soul according to his beliefs.

So why haven't I put any end to it even if it means banning him? Well frankly cuz I'm a CHRISTian and am thus loath to curtain discussion of salvation. Still I do NOT agree with the way he and some others try to turn everything into a lesson on religion.

If we are discussing a topic that is one of those where separation is difficult then some crossover is expected and I don't disapprove of that. I do disapprove of trying to twist every topic into a discussion of religion on other than the forums established for that. Same for politics. Some just can't be discussed without addressing both topics.

I've been watching this thread closely and have read each post. I have stayed out of it for the most part and let the moderator here deal with it rather than interjecting myself into it which is how I handle all forums which have moderators for the most part. Richard has removed darn few posts and I agreed with his decision on those.

So bottom line is this:

The rules against personal attacks and name calling are more important to me than the rule of no religion on the political forum and vice versa. Would I prefer crossover between the two areas to be minimized? Yes for sure. And I guess it is past time I again step up and remove posts which try to turn every subject into a religious discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I think some are looking at the "letter of the law" instead of the "spirit of the law". Maybe GB needs to chime in, but I imagine the rule was to keep from preaching on this forum. Mentioning God or your beliefs isn't exactly preaching. Explaining your position via religion isn't preaching.

Sure hope these "letter of the law" folks never become judges. Because when the laws are unreasonable, or do not make sense in certain case, you are going to jail anyway. No room for interpretation.

Rosewood

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
Quote:
Orwell said that when we can’t say something with precision our thoughts aren’t precise. ...
Is this the reason that the line between politics and religion is constantly blurred?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Your "moral common sense" should serve you well enough.
Feel free to tell me if you believe that I'm wrong, but I think, as if anyone cares what I think, that:

Some people may feel the need to respond to a question by quoting chapter and verse. Thereby introducing religion into a non-religion topic.

To avoid this and present a precise, and acceptable, response to a question, one could search the verse for its moral foundation/teaching point. This is the actual basis for your belief.

Richard you are saying what I am saying.
However, more proficient in word choice and structure.
Are you wrong?
Well "some" say we are.🤗

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
post #275 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Bill,

I appreciate your weighing in on the subject. I know that the two subjects are closely intertwined. I have no problem when it is occasionally thrust into a thread. If a thread starts religious in nature I don't say a word no matter where the thread is located. The problem as you said is when it is thrust into a thread that has nothing to do with religion. I guess I just thought that if someone complained enough that the worst offenders would at least try to cut back or limit the issue. That is not the case. It has gotten worse. Thrusting religion into a thread is one thing but outright chastising members for their beliefs is wrong.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.
post #276 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:

I wouldn’t say that I disagree. I believe that my religious beliefs inform my political beliefs but don’t define them. Holding that understanding I still acknowledge that there are people who express no faith whatsoever or who are of a different faith who have the same political views that I have. Many, maybe a majority of political issues have nothing to do with faith. Most if not all religious issues have nothing to do with politics.

I know a Jewish lesbian. We have much in common politically. Not because of shared lifestyle or shared religious views. Religious beliefs have never entered our political conversation.

The idea of politics and religion in American is skewed in my opinion. A good argument can be made that religion has become politics and politics religion for many. I view the two as separate even though one can influence the other.

People do not like to think.
If one thinks, one must reach conclusions.
Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller

Last edited by littlecanoe; 05-16-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #277 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to vidiot

Amen...There is a time for everything....
post #278 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn’t say that I disagree. I believe that my religious beliefs inform my political beliefs but don’t define them. Holding that understanding I still acknowledge that there are people who express no faith whatsoever or who are of a different faith who have the same political views that I have. Many, maybe a majority of political issues have nothing to do with faith. Most if not all religious issues have nothing to do with politics.

I know a Jewish lesbian. We have much in common politically. Not because of shared lifestyle or shared religious views. Religious beliefs have never entered our political conversation.

The idea of politics and religion in American is skewed in my opinion. A good argument can be made that religion has become politics and politics religion for many. I view the two as separate even though one can influence the other.
LC, totally agree. Great post.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
post #279 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 PM

Well I'm glad this is cooling down
Happy Bill spoke and also read some other good posts
Imho most of the Guys here on GBO are pretty stand up.
Less maybe 3 one for sure is a hemorrhoid
Also want to admit
I am an equal opportunity Offender ) so please donít take it personally)
that said I have noticed,Rock Hudson hasnít rattled off a 100 self
inflicting posts, For that I am thrilled
Maybe he,she,it quit
And one very Big thanks to whoever spread the "preparation H" on the tender nut
Thank you Thank you

History in the making
MAGA
no longer just a political campaign theme/promise.
It is Reality 👍
post #280 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM

you know me. I can handle him just fine. What you said is right though. this was just a rant. A rant DESIGNED to stir the pot and nothing else. As to that bible knowledge competition forum he moderates, id rather sit down in a pit full of rattle snakes then post there. Like I said he doesn't bother me. I know the type. Cant match someone one on one? Stir the pot and let others fight for you and let they take the rap for stepping over the line. He will burn all his bridges just like he did a couple years ago. People will see through him for what he is. Hopefully this time he runs away for good! I just hope he doesn't ruin the credibility of to many good people before. To me he's more entertainment then a challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
Lloyd - I don't judge. I don't look over the pedigree of the posters here. I get to know them through their posts.

I don't care that Dee is a Mod on the Religion Forum. If he is, I didn't know that. I don't post or read there. That Forum isn't important to me. If it is to you and Dee - have at it.

Dee has made a point here in this Forum. He posted an opinion that started this thread. Every Member, Guest, and Moderator does the same thing in every thread and response post. He's getting a rant off his chest - so to speak.

Roll with it...and I ask those on this thread to periodically go to the OP and see what it is we're talking about to get back OT.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page