Deputy who refused to enter Parkland school during massacre arrested. - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Their reporting 48 minutes.
Thought I read that. Don't recall anyone questioning that or an explanation for it. Seems like a long time to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 PM

The man has been painted as "the coward of Broward" and even if that's true, is that a crime? It's so easy to say "I'd have charged right in there" but would you really? Until the chips are down you'll never know. The man was in a situation where he had to rely on his own best judgement and maybe his judgement was influenced by fear and maybe mine would have been as well but it was his judgement and we're in no position to second guess.
I agree that he is being scapegoated for the failure of a whole system and that is not only an injustice to that one man but worse, it does nothing to solve the real problems.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
The man has been painted as "the coward of Broward" and even if that's true, is that a crime? It's so easy to say "I'd have charged right in there" but would you really? Until the chips are down you'll never know. The man was in a situation where he had to rely on his own best judgement and maybe his judgement was influenced by fear and maybe mine would have been as well but it was his judgement and we're in no position to second guess.
I agree that he is being scapegoated for the failure of a whole system and that is not only an injustice to that one man but worse, it does nothing to solve the real problems.
Agreed. In my 21 years in LE, I saw a lot of paper tigers.

On both sides of the badge.

On my side of it, they lasted about a month to 6 months until somebody on the street tried'em out.
After that, they were let go, quit, or reassigned to less physically, and emotionally stressful assignments.

School officers in my day (they used to be liaison officers) were as a general rule, "layed back good ole boys" that were overly tolerant of BS, got along well with the kids, AND THE PARENTS 🙈, and weren't motivated to get in the trenches, or dive into bar fights, domestic disputes, fights ect.
I suspect its still that way.

Street officers want in. Their constantly putting in for more advanced training, and seek promotion into specialized areas.

Most would seek employment elsewhere, if assigned to babysitting school hallways, and ******* parents whose children are always innocent.

In doing a little light research on Broward County SO, I'm still a little mystified as to why it took 48 minutes to get backup, with 5400 total employees, 2/3s of which surely are field deputies.
And I suspect that Peterson was in way over his head in lack of training for such an event.

Doesn't diminish the impact of such a tragedy, but individuals, and groups of individuals think such things will never happen to them.

Until it does.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Last edited by Dee; 06-06-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

In 15 months it should have been noted that the persons MOST responsible for this debacle are the Superintendent of the School Board, The Broward County Sheriff, and most particularly the Obama Administration Secretary of Education pushing the PROMISE Program into Parkland High School, which allowed Nickolas Cruz to side step jail as well as any reporting of his numerous failings, thus putting him under the FBI radar and "approved" for the purchase of the weapon.

If we are going to scapegoat Scot Peterson, there has to be an accountability of those that put this in motion. Parkland blood is on their hands.
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
In 15 months it should have been noted that the persons MOST responsible for this debacle are the Superintendent of the School Board, The Broward County Sheriff, and most particularly the Obama Administration Secretary of Education pushing the PROMISE Program into Parkland High School, which allowed Nickolas Cruz to side step jail as well as any reporting of his numerous failings, thus putting him under the FBI radar and "approved" for the purchase of the weapon.

If we are going to scapegoat Scot Peterson, there has to be an accountability of those that put this in motion. Parkland blood is on their hands.
👍

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 AM

I agree with bugeye with a little nod to dees opinion. I think he was paid to protect those kids and paid to protect them even at the risk of death. Would I have done it different. Don't know and its not relevant because I didn't take the job. I would like to think even not being a cop id have went in but that's about like saying id fall on a grenade if my buddys were going to be killed. You can only answer that if it happens. I think its pretty obvious he didn't go in because he was afraid not because he was ordered not to. Should he go to jail for it. I don't think so. I think he having to live with himself and knowing what people thought of him is plenty enough punishment. It to me would be worse then prison. The worse thing I can imagine other then a family member or friend dying is for someone to think I was a coward. I think I would have rather died a hero then lived as a branded coward. Tough thing is there is no in between for that guy. Not once he pinned on that badge and took his first paycheck from my tax money. I guess we have to understand that when they pin on a badge it doesn't come with a set of balls. those you have to supply. Id bet if there was a way to prove it half the police in this country would have made an effort to save those kids and the other half would have done the same. Sad part is those leaders throwing him under the bus could have just as easily came from either side of that list. Is he a criminal. Probably not. Did he do his job and serve and protect? Catch 22. You cant have police that hide behind there cars when shtf but you also cant have police officers that are undertrained storming into a hostage senerio because they fear if they don't they will go to jail themselves. But if guns are going off and kids are involved its time to step up not step behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Unless he was totally ignorant of the many other school shootings, he knew that kids were being murdered.
I believe that he should have disregarded orders and went in after the shooter.
He might have been charged with some collateral damage, but his conscience would probably have been clear, and he wouldn't have been labeled a coward.
The county sheriff is at fault.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 06-07-2019 at 07:02 AM.
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post

+1

For some reason he was "under" the FBI radar even though they had been contacted twice about the shooter. Makes you wonder what you have to do to show up on the FBI radar?

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.
post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinslayer1965 View Post
+1

For some reason he was "under" the FBI radar even though they had been contacted twice about the shooter. Makes you wonder what you have to do to show up on the FBI radar?

CR
Post here...
post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
Post here...

Could be......if they ever make being stubborn illegal a bunch of us are in trouble!

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.
post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Buy a black rifle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page