Deputy who refused to enter Parkland school during massacre arrested. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Deputy who refused to enter Parkland school during massacre arrested.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-r...re-is-arrested

Florida resource officer who didn't enter school during shooting massacre is arrested

Frank MilesBy Frank Miles | Fox News

Former sheriff's deputy arrested over deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

Scot Peterson, the former Florida deputy, has been arrested on 11 charges.

Former Marjory Stoneman Douglas High resource officer Scot Peterson, 56, was arrested Tuesday on charges relating to failure to enter the school during the mass shooting there.

He was charged in Broward County with seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one of perjury after a 15-month investigation, according to a news release from Florida authorities.

The charges carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years for the officer blasted by many critics as the "Coward of Broward."

TAMMY BRUCE: TRUMP CELEBRATES LGBT PRIDE MONTH AND THE LEFT JUST WANTS TO KEEP STIRRING UP DIVISION

Peterson’s bail was set at $102,000.

Once released, Peterson will be required to wear a GPS monitor and surrender his passport, and will be prohibited from possessing a firearm, the prosecutor said.

Peterson faces child neglect, culpable negligence and perjury charges that carry a combined potential prison sentence of nearly 100 years. (REUTERS, File)

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) "investigation shows former deputy Peterson did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting that killed 17 children, teachers and staff and injured 17 others,” said FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen. “There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives.”

Investigators interviewed 184 witnesses and reviewed hours of video surveillance to determine the response of law enforcement, Fox 13 reported.

"It’s never too late for accountability and justice,” Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony said.

Tony said Peterson has been formally fired, although he announced his retirement shortly after the shooting.

Republican Sen. Rick Scott said in a statement: “Had this individual done his job, lives would have been saved. Actions (or inaction) have consequences. We need more accountability, and that includes at the FBI, which has yet to show me a single example of how they’ve improved their processes following the failures in the leadup to the Parkland shooting.”

Ryan Petty, the father of slain student Alaina Petty, said in a statement, “Today marks another step in the search for accountability. … Peterson failed in his duty to protect lives that day, standing behind a cement pillar for 48 minutes while students and teachers were slaughtered.”

Fred Guttenberg, another father of a victim, tweeted: “I have no comment except to say rot in **** Scott Petersen. You could have saved some of the 17. You could have saved my daughter. You did not and then you lied about it and you deserve the misery coming your way.”

Peterson lawyer Joseph DiRuzzo III said in a statement: “We will vigorously defend against these spurious charges that lack basis in fact and law. Specifically, Mr. Peterson cannot reasonably be prosecuted because he was not a ‘caregiver’, which is defined as ‘a parent, adult household member, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare.’"

He added: “President Eisenhower has said that ‘the search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.’ Today the individuals who have made this charging decision have taken the easy way out and blamed Mr. Peterson for the actions on February 14, 2018, when there has only ever been one person to blame – Nikolas Cruz.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Alleged gunman Nikolas Cruz, 20, faces the death penalty if convicted of the first-degree murder charges filed in the attack. His lawyers have said Cruz will plead guilty in return for a life sentence, but prosecutors have refused that offer.

Cruz is expected to go on trial in early 2020.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click for more from Fox 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 PM

It's about time. They should have arrested him within 30 days at most.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:37 AM

It took forever to charge him hopefully they did it so it will stick

I want to retract my comment after reading what LO has posted
But didn’t want to remove it as it could appear
I was hiding my first reply
I know wish him some redemption

Last edited by tommyt; 06-05-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner
Default Travesty of Justice - Find the Scapegoat and make themselves feel better.

I do not care how you cut it, this is scapegoat justice to make some folks "feel" better about themselves. This man has been ridiculed for his lack of assistance (akin to first Fireman on scene doing nothing). To come now and arrest him is ridiculous and ludicrous. It was reported, and will come out in fact if true, that the STANDING ORDER of the Broward County Sheriff's Office (Scott Israel, a Democrat) was to AWAIT BACKUP, which the officer did as he was instructed to do. That order bears on the Broward County Sheriff (who has already been fired by Governor Ron DeSantis), on the Broward County School Board, and on the Obama Administration .

A MAJOR blame should be cast on the Superintendent and School Board for implementing an Obama education initiative known as PROMISE (Preventing Recidivism through Opportunities, Mentoring, Interventions, Support & Education) - in other words, a load of CRAP!

Link: Obama administration school discipline policy and the Parkland High Shooting
Quote:
Broward school Superintendent Robert W. Runcie – a Chicagoan and Harvard graduate with close ties to President Obama and his Education Department – signed an agreement with the county sheriff and other local jurisdictions to trade cops for counseling. Students charged with various misdemeanors, including assault, would now be disciplined through participation in “healing circles,” obstacle courses and other “self-esteem building” exercises.

In just a few years, ethnically diverse Broward went from leading the state of Florida in student arrests to boasting one of its lowest school-related incarceration rates.

Runcie had been working closely with Obama Education Secretary Arne Duncan on the reforms ever since landing the Broward job in 2011, using as a reference the name of the Cabinet secretary, his former boss in the Chicago school system.

Applications for federal grants reveal that Runcie’s plan factored into approval of tens of millions of dollars in federal funding from Duncan's department.

"Broward County adopted a lenient disciplinary policy similar to those adopted by many other districts under pressure from the Obama administration to reduce racial ‘disparities’ in suspensions and expulsions,” said Peter Kirsanow, a black conservative on the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in Washington. "In many of these districts, the drive to 'get our numbers right' has produced disastrous results, with startling increases in both the number and severity of disciplinary offenses, including assaults and beatings of teachers and students.”
Follow the money. Obama era programs were some of the LARGEST money siphons on the back of We The People in the history of the Nation - plus THEY JUST DON'T WORK and I suspect they were not designed to work - only to siphon money.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-05-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Maybe my making the challenge that Obama Education initiatives are to blame does not counter the necessity for the armed school resource officer to render aid. Still, I am of the belief, until noted otherwise, that the officer was following ORDERS. Trying him now is an injustice. Try the Sheriff who gave the orders.

This man has suffered complete and utter Public Humiliation and will continue to do so for the remainder of his life. Where can he go that this won't find him?

Perhaps this trial will show the world that he was following orders. I do not condone the officer's actions other than in the face of direct orders, he did as he was instructed. Show me the wrong in that.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-05-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM

So lets say this deputy rushes in (probably against his departments policy and training), and opens fire on the shooter. In the crossfire, he takes out a student or a teacher. Does he get charged for that?
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

In the hypothetical - probably. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. No win situation for the Resource Officer.

Let's just blame all of the LITTLE PEOPLE cause we know we can make that stick. The Big Shots are exempt or their lawyers will get them off after siphoning all of their resources. We've already seen this over and over and over. The little people take the fall. Too bad this Resource Officer didn't have his Get Out of Jail Free card.

It was the POLICIES that failed and were the DIRECT CAUSE of the shootings at Parkland High School. Everything else is COLLATERAL DAMAGE. Hasn't it gone far enough already?

Last edited by land_owner; 06-05-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
I do not condone the officer's actions other than in the face of direct orders, he did as he was instructed. Show me the wrong in that.
I agree. If he had visual contact with the shooter and chose to do nothing, I may feel differently.
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
I agree. If he had visual contact with the shooter and chose to do nothing, I may feel differently.
Same feeling here...though I believe the officer was outside and the shooter was inside. I certainly do not have all the facts.
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Unless he was totally ignorant of the many other school shootings, he knew that kids were being murdered.
I believe that he should have disregarded orders and went in after the shooter.
He might have been charged with some collateral damage, but his conscience would probably have been clear, and he wouldn't have been labeled a coward.
The county sheriff is at fault.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page