Could we Americans survive a Natl blackout?? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Quiver View Post
I wonder if this is a situation that will sorta take care of itself as the hundreds and thousands of small generating systems continue to come on line.

I drive past 5 solar and 1 wind farm going to work, as well as a smaller natural gas peak station. As I understand was common in the beginning each town seems to be getting the potential to be more independent.

Don’t get me started on taxing the system with transportation needs. Every home in the neighborhood upgrading to charge a couple cars... I guess that might be the impetus to upgrade the entire grid, hmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EQ it's called load shedding. So many commercial buildings in large cities now have back up systems, some
of them are very large with power to spare. I've seen them in basements, on roofs, and with these modern sound proof housings, they look like a building themselves.

How shedding works is, during peak hours these systems come on synchronised with the line power.
That's a lot of megawatts all working together. Then these commercial buildings sell that power back to
the power company's. This wasn't possible until the advent of electronic governors. Paralleling with the
the utility.

America is on the forefront of this with Basler and Woodward, no other country is that advanced at this.
Not even Iran.

Last edited by Argent11; 06-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:23 PM

40 years working on that stuff and I had a good rapport with the power company's. I was honest, when
people would come in wanting to buy generator wanting to get off the grid and tell the power company
to stick it. I would tell them that's not cost effective. That's prime power, fuel, servicing, electronic failure
like a regulator. Then after 10,000 hours your looking at an overhaul?

" but I want a solar" and you sell those! That's nice, wait until you have to buy those battery's or an inverter.
It will catch up with you if you use it prime power. Energy is never free, there is always a catch.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Then there were those ranchers, who had no service like down in Orla Texas. They were smart, out working all day so they only would run it at night when they came home. Generator was a two wire start. So I rigged it up on a four pole light switch. So all he had to do was come home and turn on a light lol. He loved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Gun Cabinet

We could not last an hour as no one knows how to add up a bill of what ever when the power is off they just look at each other and say what now. I have ran into that a number of times. power off I said sell me that, cant do that cant make change, I said here is correct change inc. tax cant do that it wont be taken off inventory and we wont know what went with the product. when the power goes off we are stuck as no one knows how to even make change and count it back to you, bill is 10.50 you hand them a 20 and 2 quarters and they just stand and look at you and the money what do I do now. The register tells them how much to give back they take it out of the change drawer and dump it in your hand, have a nice day.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM

I agree with that OK. People panicking then thinking I was the electrician going to fix it all up. Nope, there's nothing there and that's not my MOS. Well what are you? Power systems electro motive. ES3, not EE98.
That was a bank, " But we lost all of our data". Your a bank and you don't have a UPS or a back up
system? " We get UPS here" lol. Uninterruptible Power Source.

Last edited by Argent11; 06-24-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
. . . . Problem was that the City Council didn't want to spend money on projects to repair info-structures . . . . . . . . .. Same with business.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

most of the people i see that run things these days aren't like the old
school bosses that ran things when i first joined the work force.
these days business school graduates run companies and governments
but don't know even the first thing about the businesses they run.
the "old" time folks realized the value of knowledgeable reliable employees
and tried hard to keep them happy and employed, and ran the loafers off.
these days, the p.t.b. wants to cut costs wherever they perceive some "fat"
even at the expense of losing their reliable workers.
hence, you see all these electronic "self-reading" electric meters, self check
in stores, self serve gasoline, unmanned defense systems, etc. and so on.
another reason you can't get checked out while the poor cashier is back
trying to do the job a stocker should be doing if they had stockers that is.

the way i see it, it won't take very long for the you-know-what to hit,
just as soon as all the smart phones go blooey is all it'll take.
can't order up a pizza ? God forbid. panic in the streets.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM

Gun Cabinet

Now when you fly your boarding pass is put on your smart phone when you load, you place the phone on a little black dudad and it says ok for you to board, when you are waiting for your flight your phone will beep you look at it says gate change or flight delay. when sitting at the air port waiting for a flight and watching people at least 99 % of them have a phone stuck in their ear they have even came up with a medical condition for people walking with their head bent mover holding the phone and talking it knocks your spine out of alinement, how is that for progress new gaget, new medical condition to be treated.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Now when you fly your boarding pass is put on your smart phone when you load, you place the phone on a little black dudad and it says ok for you to board, when you are waiting for your flight your phone will beep you look at it says gate change or flight delay. when sitting at the air port waiting for a flight and watching people at least 99 % of them have a phone stuck in their ear they have even came up with a medical condition for people walking with their head bent mover holding the phone and talking it knocks your spine out of alinement, how is that for progress new gaget, new medical condition to be treated.

Deaconllb
Don't have a smart phone and when we flew to Alaska last year, we had paper tickets. We did see some doing what you describe though.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post

Deaconllb
This. https://www.foxnews.com/tech/teens-g...dr-marc-siegel
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:58 PM

The morons who think we can all comply with the "New Green Deal" are woefully ignorant of what it would take to convert to electric cars and clean renewable power. Those cars won't charge themselves and there will never be enough "green power" to meet the needs of electric transportation and run our homes, business and industry. The reality is that there would probably never be enough power generated even if non-green electric generation were used.

Swingem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page