Iranian IRGC boats tried, failed to seize British oil tanker in Persian Gulf, senior - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka
Default Iranian IRGC boats tried, failed to seize British oil tanker in Persian Gulf, senior

https://www.foxnews.com/world/irania...-official-says

Iranian IRGC boats tried, failed to seize British oil tanker in Persian Gulf, senior US defense official says
By Lucas Tomlinson, Louis Casiano | Fox News

Five Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps gunboats tried to seize a British oil tanker in the Persian Gulf Wednesday but backed off after a British warship approached, a senior U.S. defense official told Fox News.

The British warship was said to have been less than 5 miles behind the tanker but soon intercepted the Iranian boats and threatened to open fire. A manned U.S. reconnaissance aircraft was above as well, the official said, adding that Iranian forces left without opening fire.

Navy Captain Bill Urban, spokesman for the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), said the military was aware of the reported actions. He added, “Threats to international freedom of navigation require an international solution. The world economy depends on the free flow of commerce, and it is incumbent on all nations to protect and preserve this lynchpin of global prosperity.”

The British frigate was identified as the HMS Monstrose, according to CNN, which was first to report the encounter.

The incident was the latest in a series of provocations between the Islamic Republic and the West. British forces last week seized an Iranian supertanker that officials believed was operating in violation of European Union sanctions. The British Royal Marines captured the vessel in Gibraltar after believing it was trying to provide crude oil to Syria, an ally of Iran.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani warned that Britain would face repercussions over the seizure.

Last month, Iran shot down a U.S. drone over the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway separating Iran from the United Arab Emirates. Oil exporters transport around 22 million barrels of oil per day through the strait.

U.S. officials also blamed Iran for attacks on six oil tankers in the area. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has accused the regime of trying to disrupt the flow of oil in the area.

Tensions between Iran and the U.S. have escalated in recent weeks and could spiral downward after Iran admitted Monday it surpassed uranium enrichment levels that were set by the Iran nuclear agreement in 2015.

President Trump pulled the U.S. out of the deal last year but several EU nations remained involved. Those countries -- Russia, China, Germany, France, Britain, and the European Union -- have called on Iran to stick to its commitments under the deal.

Iran has abandoned restraint in recent months as it seeks relief from U.S. sanctions. The republic has asked the deal's signatories to provide economic incentives in exchange for the de-escalation of its nuclear program.

Trump has indicated he will impose additional sanctions on Iran and urged those nations not to give in to its demands.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Hard to climb aboard a tanker when you're wearing a Mae West. Ever see a picture of these bozos? It looks like none of them know how to swim. All wear the old fashioned floatation devices while trying to work on deck.
Attached Images

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 07-11-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 AM

If I were a praying man, I would pray that Iran does try to seize another British ship. Further, I would pray that the British grow a huge pair and eliminate Iran. Alas, all I can do is hope.

Swingem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magooch View Post
If I were a praying man, I would pray that Iran does try to seize another British ship. Further, I would pray that the British grow a huge pair and eliminate Iran. Alas, all I can do is hope.

Well, if it's any comfort, you aren't the only one.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka

the iranians fled when they noticed a british warship coming down at them.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Their "gun boats" look a lot like center console fishing boats.

How many rod holders on one of those "gun boats"?

Twin outboards are really great too, for a fishing boat.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page