Trump ousts National Security Adviser John Bolton, says they 'disagreed strongly' on - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka
Default Trump ousts National Security Adviser John Bolton, says they 'disagreed strongly' on

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...policy-matters

WHITE HOUSEPublished 2 hours ago
Trump ousts National Security Adviser John Bolton, says they 'disagreed strongly' on policy
Brooke SingmanBy Brooke Singman | Fox News

President Trump announced Tuesday that he has fired National Security Adviser John Bolton, saying he “disagreed strongly” with his suggestions on a range of issues.

“I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House,” Trump tweeted.

“I disagreed strongly with many of his suggestions, as did others in the Administration, and therefore I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning,” he continued. “I thank John very much for his service. I will be naming a new National Security Advisor next week.”

While Bolton swiftly challenged Trump's version of events -- saying he offered to resign -- the two have had well-known disagreements on a range of hot-button national security issues, perhaps most significantly on plans for a troop drawdown in Afghanistan.

Bolton's removal comes after the hawkish adviser was reportedly sidelined from high-level discussions about military involvement in Afghanistan, after opposing diplomatic efforts in the region.

“Simply put, many of Bolton’s policy priorities did not align with POTUS,” a White House official told Fox News on Tuesday.

While Trump announced a 4,000-troop increase in 2017 as part of an effort to break the stalemate in the country, he has been moving toward agreeing to a phased withdrawal of troops. Some 14,000 U.S. troops have remained in Afghanistan, advising and assisting Afghan forces and conducting counterterrorism operations.

Inside the administration, Bolton also advocated caution on Trump's strategy with North Korea and against Trump's decision last year to pull U.S. troops out of Syria. Bolton also led a quiet effort inside the administration and with allies abroad to convince the president to keep U.S. forces in Syria to counter ISIS and Iranian influence in the region.

Bolton became Trump’s third national security adviser in April 2018, replacing H.R. McMaster, who had been appointed earlier in the administration to replace Michael Flynn.

Bolton fired back Tuesday, tweeting moments after the president's announcement that he offered his resignation on Monday evening, saying it was not immediately accepted by Trump.

"I offered to resign last night and President Trump said, 'Let's talk about it tomorrow,' Bolton tweeted.

Bolton also told Fox News on Tuesday that he and the president were discussing Afghanistan on Monday evening, when he offered to resign.

"I offered to resign last night," he told Fox News in a text message. "There was no request for a resignation."

A source also told Fox News that Bolton sent his resignation letter late Tuesday morning, after which Trump tweeted on Bolton's removal.

Bolton, who previously served as a Fox News contributor, worked in the administrations of former Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush and served as a Bush's lawyer during the 2000 Florida recount. Bolton also served as a U.S. permanent representative to the United Nations from 2005 to 2006, and as an undersecretary of state for arms control and international security from 2001 to 2005.

One source told Fox News that many in the White House learned of Bolton's firing from the president's tweet Tuesday.

Prior to the president's tweets Tuesday morning, Bolton had been expected to join a national security briefing with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

At that briefing, meant to discuss a new executive order strengthening the government's ability to sanction those with terror ties, Pompeo and Mnuchin defended the president.

“The president is entitled to the staff he wants,” Pompeo said.

Pompeo went on to say there were “many times” he and Bolton disagreed but added “that’s true of a lot of people I interacted with.”

Asked if they had been blindsided by Bolton’s departure, Pompeo replied: “I am never surprised.”

Mnuchin reiterated that, while Bolton may be gone, the administration intends to keep going with its “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran. However, he also stated that Trump is prepared to meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at this month’s U.N. General Assembly without preconditions.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:07 PM
TM7

And another one bites the dust. Good
.TM7
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 PM

No surprise there. Bolton has been out of the public eye for some time.

I do like trump's hiring and firing practices. He hires qualified people and gives them a test period. If, unlike omarossa, they survive that, they are given the opportunity to prove themselves. They keep their jobs as long as they can convince the people judging them that they are doing a good job. Trump apparently does a strong trust but verify test on everybody that works for him.

Pence seems to be doing well in that system, and we can be thankful of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:13 PM

Had a boss man tell me once [ everybody should be fired once in their life just so they will know how it feels ]
]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 PM

The irreconcilable difference between Bolton and Trump was that Bolton fundamentally doesn’t believe in diplomacy with adversaries, and President Trump seeks diplomacy with adversaries as must-see TV to promote his reelection

Kim, Putin, the Taliban

Lucky for us Obama killed Bin Laden or he'd be trying to make a deal with him
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM

He was one of Trump's worst hires, I won't miss that neocon.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page