Baton attack during June protests in downtown Portland lands man in prison for nearly - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka
Default Baton attack during June protests in downtown Portland lands man in prison for nearly

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...y-6-years.html

Baton attack during June protests in downtown Portland lands man in prison for nearly 6 years
Updated Nov 01, 9:15 PM;Posted Nov 01, 5:31 PM
By Everton Bailey Jr. | The Oregonian/OregonLive
A 24-year-old man who hit another man over the head with a baton in June during dueling downtown Portland demonstrations was sentenced Friday to nearly six years in prison.

Gage Halupowski pleaded guilty to second-degree assault in connection with the June 29 attack on Adam Kelly outside The Nines Hotel along Southwest Morrison Street. Halupowski was identified as one of several masked, black-clothed demonstrators seen on video hitting and pepper-spraying Kelly after he appeared to come to the aid of another man who’d been attacked during the protests, authorities said.

Kelly, a right-wing protestor at the demonstrations, wrote on Facebook at the time that the blows to his head led to him suffering a concussion and needing 25 staples to close the wounds.

Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Melissa Marrero said Halupowski hitting Kelly in the back of the head with an expandable baton was “completely unexplainable, completely avoidable and didn’t need to happen.”

She said Kelly and Halupowski both were lucky that Kelly survived his injuries.

Defense attorney Edward Kroll said Halupowski made “a really terrible decision” and that Kelly didn’t deserve what happened to him, but the attorney believed the agreed-upon 70-month prison sentence was “one of the harshest sentences I’ve seen for someone with no criminal background and young age.”

Kroll cited the Measure 11 charges Halupowski faced and the attack being caught on video as leaving the 24-year-old with few options other than taking the plea deal. Kroll also noted that Halupowski hit Kelly once, but it had been determined that at least two other people hit him in the head with batons.

Marrero disagreed with Kroll’s assertions, saying she felt the charges and sentence were appropriate based on the severity of Kelly’s injuries and Halupowski’s strike. She said first-degree assault, which carried a potential 90-month sentence, and riot charges were initially considered in the case.

The prosecutor also said another person has been indicted and more people are under investigation in the same attack and other incidents stemming from the June demonstrations.

“My office has individuals charged on both sides of the political spectrum,” Marrero said. “We are not picking sides based on political affiliation, political views or anything like that.”

Halupowski didn’t give any statements while in court Friday. Kelly sat in the gallery behind him. His bald head bore several scars. He declined to comment after the court hearing.

Halupowski was one of three people arrested during rival demonstrations between far-right and anti-fascist groups on June 23. Police at one point declared the protests a civil disturbance.

At least eight people were injured, including three police officers and conservative writer Andy Ngo.

The two other people arrested, James Stocks and Maria Dehart, were charged with harassment and disorderly conduct. Stocks, 21, pleaded no contest to harassment and was sentenced Tuesday to one year of probation and 50 hours of community service. He admitted to throwing a milkshake at a group of right-wing supporters.

Dehart, 23, has pleaded not guilty to her charges and is scheduled to next appear in court on Nov. 13, court records show.

Additional charges of unlawful use of a weapon, attempted assault of a public safety officer and interfering with a peace officer were dropped as part of Halupowski’s plea deal.

Court documents show that a Portland police officer saw Halupowski hit Kelly, followed him and pointed him out to other officers who helped arrest him. He was accused of punching another officer in the arm while being taken into custody.

good!!!!!!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 PM

That's a start.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Sentence is adequate for the crime.
Can't do the time? Don't do the crime!

Now, make the Perp PAY for the victim's medical expenses, Triple damages, court costs, and attorney fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM

Gun Cabinet

i say eye for a eye he should get the same clubbing in public and film it on YouTube to send a message to antifa
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Well, at least he will have time now, to contemplate his mistake. ..But he will probably get off, before he serves full term.

He should however, be forced to pay his victim a couple hundred bucks a month for a few years once he gets out of the slammer.

That would likely be a good deterrent !

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 11-05-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I am not one to ever show up at such an event as I learned a long time ago to steer clear of that kind of scene. However it's a matter of time before they bring it to us. In such a situation that baton was being used in an attempt to administer deadly force! Had he been using that force on one of my friends then he might have gotten a little deadly force back and it would have been justified.

What do you gents think?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 PM

In the 1930s in Germany there was a group using the same tactics as antifa, the SA and they wore brown shirts! We know from history that hasn't been scrubbed that it didn't turn out well. I interpret the antifa differently that the mainstream 'news' mouthpieces. Anti First Amendment I feel that is closer to their goals. People need to read their history, Mein Kamph was the blueprint, don't have to be neo Nazis to use it.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
p51

I think at this point, Portland has become a laughing stock for the rest of the country for what they'll allow in their town. It's really starting to cost them business conventions and other large events, and I think a message had to be sent that the pendulum has swung so far one way that someone had to be made an example.
I really would find it equally wrong if liberals were routinely beat up and the attackers smugly went before the media saying they felt right about their actions. Neither side has the right to do that.
Someone earlier mentioned the Germans, which I expected. But if we learned anything from that time, once you declare the 'other' side of something as people who are without merit or regard, then you breed a mindset of "well, they're nothing, so whatever I do to them to support my personal take on things is okay and just!" Once you dismiss your opponent as unworthy of the considerations any person deserves, that's when things will get ugly. Fast.

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:59 PM

Very well said p51!
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
What do you gents think?
gpa - I like the way you think. Use of deadly force after that thwack on the head would be justified in my book. Maybe even use of deadly force PRIOR to that thwack on the head. Just the action of him taking that baton out would spur me to shoot...but then that would mean I would have to be there in the thick of it, which I perceive would be a stretch for me.

As a tourist somewhere, overtaken by an angry mob, threatened or the perception of great bodily harm, I would shoot first and ask questions later, fearing for my life and the lives of my family. Let the Monday morning Quarterbacks digest the situation ad nauseum after-the-fact while I contemplate all of my healthy fingers, toes, head, and body.

It would be far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by six.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page