LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to tdoyka
Default Warming and the Snows of Yesteryear

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...esteryear.html

January 30, 2020
Warming and the Snows of Yesteryear
By Gregory Wrightstone
I was recently reminded of one of the most common misconceptions about our changing climate that is often accepted as fact by climate skeptics and true believers alike. Last week a commentary written by a fellow geologist and colleague lamented the less snow and cold in recent winters compared to the winters of his youth in Kentucky in the 1950s and 60s. He also related a talk he had with an octogenarian in Europe over the holidays who told him that he also recalled common snow during Christmas in Germany but alas, no longer.

This nearly universally held belief that even the most skeptical of us tend to believe is “warming by recollection.” Virtually every person from snowy climes claims that winters today are nothing like they were when they were a child. This recollection reinforces the thought that we are experiencing global warming within our own lifetime. Never mind that the slight warming of ~0.6 oF (0.3 oC) that a typical 45-year-old may have experienced since that big snowfall when he was five years old is much too slight to be recognizable by anyone.

Before I looked at the actual data on the subject, I also believed that the snow of my youth in Pennsylvania exceeded any of recent decades. My research into snowfall records for my hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, showed that my memory of snowfalls past was quite flawed. Snowfall here had been on the rise, rather than in decline.

Further examination from around the country revealed that this was not the exception, but the rule, as snow has generally been on the increase dating back many decades. My colleague’s recollection was equally flawed and records indicate that five of the top ten snowiest Februarys in his hometown of Lexington, Kentucky, had occurred since 1975!

This notion is not a new one. In 1801, Thomas Jefferson expressed similar opinions about the moderating temperature and lack of snowfall.

Both heats and cold are becoming much more moderate within the memory even of the middle-aged. Snows are less frequent and less deep…. The rivers which then seldom failed to freeze over in the course of the winter, scearcely (sic) ever do now.

-- Thomas Jefferson 1801

Just like Thomas Jefferson in 1801, we remember those times that are remarkable, while forgetting the unremarkable. Our memories are filled with the times of extreme weather conditions as opposed to the moderate.

Big snowfalls periodically happen. Just like the picture below of me and my siblings in the snow in 1961, a six or eight-inch snowfall may come well past your knees when you are only five years old and three feet tall. It is a memory indelibly etched in your brain because it was so awesomely fun. (The odd-looking fellow in the bowler hat is my younger brother).

Increasing snow is not isolated to random sites in the United States but confirmed using data from the Rutgers Global Snow Lab (GSL) that reveal snow cover both in North America and across the northern hemisphere have been increasing.

The mistaken notion of decreasing snowfall in our lifetimes reinforces the idea that many people have that supposed man-made warming is more significant and impactful than it really is. Despite the evidence to the contrary we are warned regularly of the “end of snow” from warming driven by our use of fossil fuels. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warned us in 2001 that “milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms.”

Dr. Kathryn Hayhoe, no stranger to failed alarmist predictions, stated in 2008 that the California region would experience 70% to 90% reduction in snowfall due to warming. This was just three years before California’s snowiest winter on record of 2010/2011.

As with so many other climate fantasies the “end of snow” prediction doesn’t stand up to review of the actual data. Go ahead and buy those skis, you will be using them often in the decades to come.

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/custom...tar99498_6.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

When I was a kid in Northern Iowa I remember one particular winter when grandpas cows couldn't leave the feedlot because the snow was up to their bellies. Well last winter here in central Iowa we had 60+ inches of snow. Forget the cows....that's higher than giraffe balls!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM

Panel on Climate Change warned us in 2001 that “milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms.”

I find this off because I live in an area where heavy snow falls may occur anywhere from 32° to -10°
As a matter of fact the heaviest snowfalls seem to occur more often on the warmer side of that range. Since our average winter temp is probably around 10° even with a 5° increase the chances of snow don't change..

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Just another worthless opinion!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/attach...1&d=1580414943
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/attach...1&d=1580414943
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	218732_5_.png
Views:	15
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	240670  

Name:	218733_5_.png
Views:	21
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	240672  

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 PM
p51

The one thing that those who declare that climate change is an actual fact and 100% caused by people (read; fossil fuels) go nuts over when you point it out, is the fickle and changing nature of climates in general.
Climates, both globally and locally, have gone through all kinds of wacky changes over the last 1000 years or so, most of which we can all agree couldn't have been caused by burning any gas or coal until very recently.
While I am willing to accept that we're contributing a little to climate change each time we start our cars (mostly because it's such a big concept for anyone to actually nail down by causes), those who declare it's all 100% man made (and God help you if you say otherwise), cannot see the possibility otherwise.
Cliff Mass, a meteorologist at the University of Washington has many times explained that those pushing climate change agendas have openly told him they are indeed making this sound worse than it is because people won't change otherwise. I can't disagree with the tactic itself (as they are right about that, nobody changes unless they have fear), but it leaves me wondering how much we really are contributing to this.
But man, you can't even say that in any serious discussion. For some I know, "Climate change denier" or even worse than "Holocaust denier"...

"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE **** OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

https://conceptdraw.com/a2549c3/preview

Atmosphere air composition
This pie chart sample shows the atmosphere air composition. It was designed on the base of the Wikimedia Commons file: Air composition pie chart.JPG. [commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Air_composition_pie_chart.JPG] This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. [creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en] "The atmosphere of Earth is a layer of gases surrounding the planet Earth that is retained by Earth's gravity. The atmosphere protects life on Earth by absorbing ultraviolet solar radiation, warming the surface through heat retention (greenhouse effect), and reducing temperature extremes between day and night (the diurnal temperature variation). The common name given to the atmospheric gases used in breathing and photosynthesis is air. By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1%. Although air content and atmospheric pressure vary at different layers, air suitable for the survival of terrestrial plants and terrestrial animals currently is only known to be found in Earth's troposphere and artificial atmospheres." [Atmosphere of Earth. Wikipedia] The pie chart example "Atmosphere air composition" was created using the ConceptDraw PRO diagramming and vector drawing software extended with the Pie Charts solution of the Graphs and Charts area in ConceptDraw Solution Park.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/attach...1&d=1580417410

CO2 represents 0.039"% of a percent of the earth's atmosphere. that is what all climate changers are about? less than about one eighth of a percent. CLIMATE CHANGE IS A HOAX!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pict--pie-chart-atmosphere-air-composition.png
Views:	14
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	240674  

― Nikola Tesla

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

When I was a boy I had to walk 5 miles to school in waist deep snow and it was uphill both ways. Hey that's the way I remember it and I'm sticking to my story. Uh, yeah that was in Alabama.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 06:10 PM

Ah, that graph shows the dearth of snow in the mid-seventies that put the world of hurt on the once burgeoning snowmobile industry.

RR
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 08:34 PM

The 11 worse snow storms in US history. We only remember the bad winters and forget the average ones.

https://www.thoughtco.com/worst-bliz...istory-1140776
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 05:23 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Further examination from around the country revealed that this was not the exception, but the rule, as snow has generally been on the increase dating back many decades. My colleague’s recollection was equally flawed and records indicate that five of the top ten snowiest Februarys in his hometown
I wonder about that. Further East in PA, during the years 2005-2015 I was able to ski regularly on slopes with natural snow. During the last four years those slopes have had no snow and no skiing. Perhaps it is only a local effect but it does start one wondering.

About that CO2 statistic of 0.039% concentration. That was in 2011. (concentrations are normally expressed as ppm/parts per million. 0.039% corresponds to 391ppm). Be careful with that. As is, your interpretation is flawed. You are apparently reacting to the apparently small amount of CO2. The current statistic is 407ppm. Back in the time of the Ice Ages, it was 300ppm.
The flaw is your assumption that such a tiny amount cannot be a problem.
Pete

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
Before you get into a discussion:
https://thebestschools.org/magazine/...noratioelenchi

Last edited by Darkgael; 02-02-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page