Graybeard Outdoors banner

Contender Skinnered out

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  redleg11b 
#1 ·
I put a Skinner on my Contender that had the higher target style sight on it originally. I need a shorter front sight blade to get it zero'd, but am extremely happy with the fit, finish, and customer service from Rob and Andy. Excellent product and people.

#4 ·
Not as soon as I'd hoped...but here it is. The new front post I picked up works well, but covers a lot of the target at 100 yards. I only have access to public ranges right now and you have to shoot at 25 or 100 yards. I need to find a 50 yard range to finish up my sight adjustments. It will be easier to see the target, then verify everything out at 100. This is a sweet lightweight carbine that will be a pleasure to carry in the mountains this season. I managed groups between 2"-3" today despite the bead on the front post covering the target. I had to center it on the backer I was using. Still, I am very pleased.

Attachments

#6 ·
It is a factory Super 14 with extension by McCauslin Rifles (Carlisle, PA). It was Cerakoted in McMilan Gray (sic). I did the 6 o'clock hold for my first and smallest group. I am still experimenting, but it seems that covering the desired POI with the bead centered in the peep will give the best results when hunting. It is easier to center the bead in the peep than the top of the bead. It just looks weird when it is done that way. I still have some more shooting to do before I am 100% comfortable with it, but I like it so far.

#7 ·
I put a peep sight on my .357 Max Contender before Skinner came along but it works the same.
When shooting at paper targets I still center the bead in the peep but "balance" the bullseye on top of the bead. If done right the bullet holes are in a nice little cluster just below the black. For hunting put the dot in the front half of the big hairy part and squeeze the trigger.

#10 ·
Jimmy, it is a 7TCU. The Cerakote color is McMillan Gray. I have not had the chance to get back to the range, so pretty bummed. I do, however, have a few hundred cases ready to have the necks expanded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.