Praying in Jesus' Name - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Moderator
 
Tom W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Phenix City, Alabama
Posts: 1,705
Default

I never used to ask in prayer anything for myself, thinking it was greedy or something. I sat down and asked my Pastor about it. We both agreed that God already knows what we are going to ask for. I thought it was better to pray for someone who either asked for prayer, or needed prayer. That opened a can of worms. How are we to know that brother Joe needs prayer?
I found out that it isn't selfish to ask for prayer for yourself.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Tom W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
goodshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,969
Default

The whole Psalm is great , but this from 37-4 is so very true for each of us, we can't out give G-d.

4 Delight yourself in the LORD,

and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
goodshot is online now  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
TN, I'm not a lawyer, so I do not use scriptures like above to skirt any issues.
When I pray, even to myself, their is no doubt by anyone who's name I am praying in.

You will never convince me that leaving out HIS name is okay.
I could not be a military chaplin, because I would not belittle Jesus by making some generic prayer to satisfy the brass and the attendees who couldn't care less about Jesus.

I just know, that when I am judged, I won't have to try and make excuses for not giving credit where credit is due. And Jesus, who came to this earth to suffer horrible punishment and a horrible death on the cross, for ME, gets the credit for bearing my sins and giving me a chance of an eternity with HIM.
Yup, my thoughts exactly!

I have never prayed for myself in regards to riches or stature because neither matter to me. However I pray in terms of being His vessel and not letting Him down. I do pray for His leading and will concerning my path and my role in regards to my kids, grandkids and a lost world.
gpa&hisguns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Soon to be elsewhere.
Posts: 18,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
I never used to ask in prayer anything for myself, thinking it was greedy or something. I sat down and asked my Pastor about it. We both agreed that God already knows what we are going to ask for. I thought it was better to pray for someone who either asked for prayer, or needed prayer. That opened a can of worms. How are we to know that brother Joe needs prayer?
I found out that it isn't selfish to ask for prayer for yourself.
Good post.
Yes, he knows what we need, and he has blessed my wife and I abundantly.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is online now  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Soon to be elsewhere.
Posts: 18,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
Yup, my thoughts exactly!

I have never prayed for myself in regards to riches or stature because neither matter to me. However I pray in terms of being His vessel and not letting Him down. I do pray for His leading and will concerning my path and my role in regards to my kids, grandkids and a lost world.
Yes, you pray just like I do. Our concerns should be for others and I think aiming at them is GOD's will.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is online now  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
littlecanoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,626
Gun Cabinet
Default

Does anyone feel as though they haven’t prayed unless you say “in Jesus name”?

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
littlecanoe is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Posts: 1,289
Default

Swims you can do it however you want but the the Bible is clear....there is only one mediator betwixt us and God and that is Jesus. Sometimes I say "In the Lord's name I pray" but I always give reference to Christ in closing. I honestly feel like my prayer is incomplete without it.
gpa&hisguns is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Soon to be elsewhere.
Posts: 18,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Does anyone feel as though they haven’t prayed unless you say “in Jesus name”?
Me.
Though when I pray after going to bed (I pray any time something new comes in my head) I sometimes drift off to sleep before it's complete.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is online now  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
littlecanoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,626
Gun Cabinet
Default

I find myself just praying I guess as meditation or an internal conversation? without ending the prayer “in Jesus name”. I don’t see it as a requirement but more of an acceptable tradition which would be a matter of conscience.

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
littlecanoe is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Soon to be elsewhere.
Posts: 18,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
I find myself just praying I guess as meditation or an internal conversation? without ending the prayer “in Jesus name”. I don’t see it as a requirement but more of an acceptable tradition which would be a matter of conscience.
And my conscience says do it when I discuss things with GOD/JESUS.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome