Graybeard Outdoors banner

Couple new dog's I got photo's of last week end.

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ironglow 
#1 ·
8 mo old Pointer, won the puppy class last Saturday.

Same owner has this nice little shorthaim. Really like this dog.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just don't like the looks of pointers, but those german shorthairs are really pretty dogs.

#4 ·
I can't keep up with a pointer; I actually would need a lethargic old Clumber spaniel. :)

#7 ·
Now that red setter has a beautiful intelligent head on him. he's the exact opposite of show dogs who have to be reminded where their food bowl is.

#10 ·
Red setter

Had a red setter for a season when I was a kid. Hunted him with a friend's English setter. When the red dog pointed a quail in the woods, it was hard to find the dog. We would know it was pointing somewhere. Often we would flush his bird before we ever saw him on the point. A white dog had some benefits.

#12 ·
Love them all! My lab hunts dog treats and a bird could land next to him and all hed want to do is play with it. But a good pointer on point is about as pretty as it gets.

#13 ·
I am an old man, knee replacements and all. I raised sold and trialed German Shorthaired Pointers for years. I retired in 2007 from a job that required strapping pole climbers on my legs and climbing aloft. I got a young guy started in the dog business prior to retiring and turned over my bloodline to him. 6R Upland Kennels can be viewed on facebook.

A year after the knee replacement I was bored so went back to work as a maintenance man for the local school district. The shop is 2 blocks from my home and I needed the insurance. I had a new bounce in my step....well better than it was anyway so I started thinking about a bird dog again. Well finally 2 years ago in July I went to visit Chris Riddle at 6R Upland Kennels and he had a litter of the blockhead Moesgaard shorthairs in a pen. Chis asked me which one I thought was pick of the litter. They were all perfect and Isaid
I can't tell this quickly...gonna have to study them awhile. So study I did for an hour and a half and then picked a big blocky short coupled male. i said that one right there Chris would be my pick. Chris picked him up handed him to me and said buddy he is yours! I have had a new lease on life ever since. Roy has pointed and retrieved 21 rooster peasants so far this season and has taken 10-15 lbs off of this old man. it is my firm belief that every man should have a bird dog of some kind.

As for the OP's pointer....what a beautiful dog! I have hunted with every breed there is and I like them all. I will never diss on another man's choice in breed. I believe that the owner has 95% of the responsibility for how the dog turns out regardless of breed. Pointers tend to be hard headed! I like that! Because once that is funneled into positive traits they won't give up on those traits.

I just recently picked up a GSP puppy. She is now 12 weeks old and pointing a wing, retrieving it and coming on command. Still pees in the house if grandpa falls asleep in his chair but that isn't the puppies fault. She is black and is out of R Uplands "Blade" who after much research came from Canada via Germany....actually Deutsch Kurzaar which is German for GSP.

Never met a dog man that I didn't like. Good luck with the pointer my friend...I can tell from the pictures that he comes from very good stock. Just make sure that he knows that you are the alpha male and that he can't control you and it will all be good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.