Graybeard Outdoors - View Single Post - Saturday opener?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM
spruce

Michigan's traditional deer rifle season opens on November 15, been that way "forever". Way back in the late 60's or early 70's they tried a Saturday opener for 2 or 3 years and it didn't go over very well so they switched back to Nov. 15th.

I'm not sure why it wasn't popular, but I can remember that opening day was even more of a madhouse than than usual, just like when the 15th falls on a Saturday. Whenever the opener falls on a Saturday there is an overabundance of "one and a half day hunters". Friday afternoon traffic is frenzied, the woods on Saturday sounds like WWIII, about noon on Sunday the mass exodus starts, and on Monday if you're in the woods you can hear a pin drop! Takes 2 or 3 days for the deer to resume anything normal movement.

At least that's been my experience.

It's sad to say but I think there's some "hunters" who don't like a Saturday opener because they mainly go to deer camp to drink and play cards and would prefer their kids in school rather than taking them to deer camp, which would crimp their "style"!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome