Graybeard Outdoors banner

Florida will NOT be the Center for Space Force

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
Holy Mackerel. Florida LOST. I am surprised at that because the guys that "work" these issues with the Feds are genius's and have developed hands down winning strategies for DECADES. These guys were supposed to take a "compelling" proposal to Washington, DC.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...d-not-make-the-cut-to-be-home-for-space-force

Florida Did Not Make The Cut to be Home For Space Force

By Jeff Allen
PUBLISHED 5:25 AM EDT May. 15, 2019

Florida will not be the home to a Space Force. The Sunshine State did not make the cut in a short list of locations for the headquarters for a sixth branch of the U.S. military. No reason given why Sunshine State didn't make the list. Other bases in consideration are in Colorado, Alabama and California.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, who was endorsed by President Donald Trump when he ran to become Florida's governor, urged Trump to place the Space Force headquarters in Florida. However, Cape Canaveral did not make the cut. The U.S. Air Force released a list of six current candidates for the headquarters for the U.S. Combatant Command for Space and Florida is not on it.

There are four potential bases in Colorado, one in Alabama and one in California. It is unclear why NASA's Kennedy Space Center is not included.

Congress approved the command last year after Trump pushed for it. A spokesperson for Space Florida says threats posed by Russia and China could cripple U.S. satellites in space and bring U.S. economy and communication to a standstill and the U.S. needs to have fleets of starships as part of the country's defense.

Air Force Space Command, which already exists, is headed by Gen. John Raymond and is based at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado. That is one of the six sites the U.S. Air Force is still considering and could be the reason why that location is still be[ing] considered and Florida is not.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If they are going to be launching anything it needs to be close to water. It was always predicted that WWIII
would also be fought in space. So they better get hopping.
California launches to the west over the pacific so that requires a course correction once in orbit.

Colorado has the Rocky Mountains, if anything was coming in hot and heavy for an emergancy landing
that could pose a problem. Yup Alabama.

#4 ·
I don't know for fact, though I predict that Space Force Command Central will be in Colorado with launch sites in any state with a bonafide Space Port that the FAA deems "reasonable" to grant a permit for launch [Kennedy Space Center, FL; Cape Canaveral AFS, FL; Wallops Island, VA; Kodiak Island, AL; Vandenberg AFB, CA; Western, TX (Bezos Ranch); White Sands, NM; to name a few] . Command Central for Space Force does not have to mean at the point of origin of a launch...I don't think. If it did, Florida would not be out of the running.

#7 ·
Privatization of space is only one form of travel. Blue Origin (Jeff Bezos) is "clearing and building" in Houston. The military has been shooting at atmosphere reentering drone targets with success and working "X" programs (X33, X34, up to IDK X4-something?)...putting a fast reaction force of 8 persons (or so) anywhere in the world in 2 hours or less. That's some high G's to LEO and higher G's in deceleration at the destination. Lockheed Skunk Werks has been in on these investigations. So too has been Boeing. Perhaps too even Sierra-Navada. I am out of the launch complex design game - retired. Change is inevitable in the space race. It is not necessary to put Command Central at the Launch Site.

#10 ·
Not that I don't like the other choices, but I would like to see the new force headquartered in a different location, than the old samo~samo..

Why not put it in a rural area, where the extra jobs would make a real difference?

How about Minnesota, West Virginia, Iowa or Wisconsin. Why not Arizona or Utah?

..And "why not Minot"... Minot ND that is..there is already a military post there, and I wonder if it is being utilized.

#13 ·
Space Force is NOT the location for launching rockets. Space Force is the whole of the effort from a military standpoint .

The silos in ND, et al states; the launch complexes in CA and FL; VA, TX, AL; a barge off of any US coast; submarines; etc., all comprise the width and breadth of Space Force.

You have to ignore the typo "30 November 2051 [sic]" in the link below. It has to be 2015.

https://second-renaissance.fandom.com/wiki/United_States_Space_Force

#14 ·
Nevada would be good with so much desert to the east it wouldn't endanger populated areas if any launch goes bad.
If command itself is going to entail any launches into orbit. I'm sure that's being considered. Alabama still
gets my vote over the gulf. Space X has made the point that launching from California entitles doing a
complete 180 to get on orbital trajectory.

#18 · (Edited)
..And "why not Minot"... Minot ND that is..there is already a military post there, and I wonder if it is being utilized.
Yup and they already are pretty versed in putting rockets into the air! Bottom line is it probably wont be the best place. Just the place that the local politicians hold the most sway. Heck im from Michigan. I say put it in Detroit. You have the water to launch over. Probably 50 good abandon complex's you could probably get from the city for free and if you happen to screw up and light off a big bomb your not loosing much. Another advantage is if aliens did attack theyd probably skip right past Detroit thinking theres nothing there worth bothering with.

#19 ·
Well, the cats out of the bag regarding the existence of Area 51. There was a documentary about it on TV
last night with computer generated aerial views of the complex.
Along with what little the reporters were actually allowed to see, or told. Along with the signs on the fences
that say deadly force is authorized. And the place is growing larger by the day.

So I guess it's in the running for the Space Force also, sort of like they were preparing us for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.