Graybeard Outdoors banner

Was the opioids thing a bad idea?

6K views 118 replies 16 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
What about those people who really need it, even for a short time, and aren't junkies. Chronic pain can effect the entire body, even kill you, or prevent healing. So, the effected shovel down aspirin and ibuprofen at the same time.Which causes other adverse health conditions. I think it was a bad idea and poorly thought out.

#3 ·
She prescribed me Tramadol. To first get rid of that horrible pain. So she could get a grip on this.
The pain was causing other health problems. Can't sleep can't eat things like that.
She told me she was going to hit this thing aggressively, and she did. So they can still prescribe
it. Yes it has helped amazingly well, but they strictly ration it and to only certain patients.

#5 ·
She hit this nail right on the head. This is the first morning in nearly three weeks where Ive woke up up
and wasn't in excruciating pain. I think it's more due to the muscle relaxer, and anti inflammation
meds than anything else. I had only taken one of the pain pills ( Tramadol ) and that was yesterday
afternoon. I'm going to see how long I can go without them.

It's hard to beat a good MD who actually cares about you. And Kelly McGill is one of those. This is twice now she's done something like this for me, without talking surgery.

#6 ·
I've heard it said back surgery is a leading cause of back problems.
Commanding the pain to leave in Jesus name is getting easier and easier here.
He requires first place in our lives, so I seek Him and His protection, provision, blessing and favor before anything happens, we can make ourselves untouchable by the enemy from sickness, disease, accidents, etc.
best wishes

#7 · (Edited)
Doctor McGill is a Christian who prays for her patients. One of the RNs told me that, a fairly young Doctor
from Colorado. Who is up on all the new techniques and treatments. Like when they were going to send
me to Lubbock for invasive surgery on my shoulder. She got involved and said nonsense, he still has
full range of motion it's only badly inflamed and causeing pain. There is nothing else showing on the
X Ray.

She took a big syringe filled with some kind of new steroid drug and injected it into my shoulder joint. Hours later, it was all gone, a little sore but that was it. Good shot, I think sometimes Jesus guides the hands
hands of the Doctor.

#8 ·
History may not repeat itself but it certainly rhymes.

Opioids have a history of ruining lives. It also has incredible powers to relieve pain. This hasn’t changed a bit, what changes is availability and collective memory of the cost benefit ratios involved.

What was not so long ago considered end of life drugs have been marketed as very nearly a lifestyle drug. In the end both are suffering addicts and those at the end of life.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#15 ·
yup they've ruined and ended many lives. They've been over prescribed by doctors and abused by patients and made there way onto the streets. They needed to clamp down on them. I hear people crying all the time that they cant get them. my hunting partner uses them daily and the only inconvience is he has to go to his pain doctor for an appointment every month to get his supply which includes oxy, demurral patches and liquid morphine. When I had my last back surgery I told my doctor I didn't want narcotics and asked if he could give me something different this time just because I cant stand the way they make me feel and the constipation. I was on them every day for 3 years and one day just said no more! What he told me is hed compromise with me. If I would takc oxycodone for 4 days to get me by the real bad stretch he would give me something different after that. So theres a doctor that sure didn't have a problem giving them to someone that needs it.

Now we will get the posts from the guys that say they need them and cant get them. Sorry im not buying. Either you don't have medical proof you need them or the doctor is suspicious. Anyone can go into the emergency room and scream bloody murder that his back is killing them. But if an mri or ct scan shows no problem your not going to get pills. If it shows a problem and your doctor wont prescribe them then find another doctor that specializes in pain management. Problem with that is they aren't JUST going to give you pills. Your not going to be able to go home and sit in your chair stoned. he will expect you to do physical therapy too. Some will scream I WONT DO THAT. Well then live without you pills. Some will demand you come in for a blood test to insure your not abusing them. To inconvenient? Then go without. What your not going to find and wont find ever again is a doctor like I had that gave me a 120 10mg oxycodone pills and a bottle of morphine every month just by going in and asking his secretary for a refill. If you not willing to jump through the hoops and if you do and you do need them you will get them, then have goodshot lay hands on you and be done with the pain :tango_face_smile_bi Some say he can preform miracles!!!:tango_face_angel:
History may not repeat itself but it certainly rhymes.

Opioids have a history of ruining lives. It also has incredible powers to relieve pain. This hasn’t changed a bit, what changes is availability and collective memory of the cost benefit ratios involved.

What was not so long ago considered end of life drugs have been marketed as very nearly a lifestyle drug. In the end both are suffering addicts and those at the end of life.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#9 ·
the va sends meds to me monthly. if I did not take them I could not walk 100 ft, if you hurt bad enough you will take anything. I tried booze for awhile. did not work. over the counter pain meds kill your liver or kidneys. read side effects of Advil and like meds. life aint much good being controlled by pain. take the meds and be happy you have a good doctor that cares.

#10 ·
Yes David, I have come to believe some Drs. are indeed blessed and operate with His guidance, most of us must learn to pray as Jesus prayed, and in the Spirit as He did.
We didn't learn it in church.
The video from Audrey Mack is illuminating for a person, her ministry is strong Holy Spirit.

#11 · (Edited)
And here she did it again, praise the Lord. She said first we do something about the intense pain of his
sciatica. It is effecting the rest of his health and making this more difficult. Once again, nothing on the
X Rays, a shot in the booty and some meds.

Why didn't someone do this two weeks ago???? Because Kelly McGill was on vacation visiting family in CO.
At least the chiropractor was honest and backed off saying this is something I can't do anything with.

#12 · (Edited)
Very good news, I know from my medical/spiritual experiences He always manifests when I pray for my Drs. I am able then to explain how John 16-13 is in force today and they have just experienced the pleasure of the Lord resting upon us as we pray and I minister to the Dr. in Jesus name.

#16 · (Edited)
Lloyd I had no problem getting them. But my condition was very obvious and effecting my overall health. Tramadol s a synthetic opiate, so you don't get all the adverse problems. But it can still kill you the same
as the natural can with it's abuse. They sorta ration it out now with a seven day supply each time.
I still feel like it was the strong muscle relaxer that did the most for me.

One pill at night before bed, and I woke up feeling like a new man. And I still do even now. My Doctor knew I wasn't going to abuse it. But like she said, we have got to get this condition under control first.
And she isn't real fond of medical weed. Your swapping one problem for another.

#17 ·
I've had 4 back surgeries so far and feel the pendulum has swung too far in a knee jerk reaction. Telling someone who has just had back surgery to take tylenol because some idiots are over dosing on fentanyl sounds like the same idiots saying criminals will just stop shooting people if you can just take the guns away from law abiding citizens. Brother in law just had a laminectomy last thursday and was sent home that night with nothing. Went home at 5pm, at 3am he couldn't stand it anymore and went back to the hospital. Granted a laminectomy (removing the roof of the vertebrae) with a foraminotomy (opening up the nerve root canal) isn't most invasive back surgery, but it's foolish to believe that if you have to give someone a couple rounds of pain pills in the hospital that somehow magically tylenol will do at home when the pain pills wear off. Down the road? Sure if there is no need, but not right after surgery or in a chronic pain type situation.

#20 ·
After my last heart bypass surgery the doctor actually came into my room and told me to take all the pain meds he prescribed. I told him I was taking as much as I needed to be comfortable. He said I could not do everything physical therapy wanted me to do. I told him I had done everything they had asked me to do. I guess I just have a high pain tolerance so why drug myself to where I sleep all the time. People are different. Take what you need but not any more. None of these drugs are good for our health.

#21 ·
When my Doctor said she was going to approach this situation aggressively I knew what she was going to do.
Yes, intense pain does show in your eyes and your facial expressions. Then she saw the way I was having to walk. And she had known me long enough she knew something wasn't right.

And I was taking to many aspirins and ibuprofens. It was good to get of them they were starting to hurt my stomach. I'm going to have to hire a kid to come mow the yard she doesn't want me doing even that.

#22 · (Edited)
Back in 2004 it was discovered that I had a large blood fed tumor the size of a softball betwixt my liver and pancreas. It was interfering with the liver bile duct. It was deemed inoperable and I was told that I would be given opiates to deal with the pain....and it was painful. The tumor grew very slowly over the next three years and the opiate level was increased accordingly. I never quit my job and never really felt any euphoric feelings from the opiates just a little groggy and zoned out. Dr's kept it monitored but there was little they could do....until I got a phone call from a Dr. Nisch at the John Stoddard Cancer Center in Des Moines. He informed me that there was new procedure called a Catheter Embolization that he thought would be my only hope. So they ran a catheter up my groin through my heart on over to the vessels around the liver. They injected synthetic materials into the blood vessels which collapsed them and over a period of several hours they were able to shut off the blood supply feeding that tumor. As the saying goes there are no free lunches. They also hampered the blood supply to my adrenal glands in the process. My body tried real hard to reject the synthetic material and I got something called akathisia. As it turned out I was very allergic to the synthetic material. It was a long hard recovery but over a period of about a year the tumor died and shriveled up to the size of a walnut.

However the big battle was still ahead. I was up to 2000 mg of opiates every 4 hours following the embolization. At that point I was in a constant fog. I told the Dr.s that I wanted my life back and off of those opiates. I started treatment at a pain clinic here in town. They switched me from the opiates to methadone. Methadone is just a synthetic derivative of opiates, it takes less mg of methadone to accomplish the same thing as a whole lot of opiates but is every bit as addictive. After one full year of monthly trips to this pain clinic I was still taking 60 mg of methadone every 12 hours. I told the pain Dr that I wanted off of the methadone. He advised me that depression would set in and my quality of life would decrease. What quality of life....I was just getting by and not myself. So I kept right on making my appointments and gettin my month supply of methadone. Only what the good Dr didn't know was that over a period of 6 months I had kept cutting my doses each month. At the 6 month point I leveled with him and told him that I was now taking 10 mg every 12 hours and was going to cut that in half. He was stunned and commented to the effect that nobody does that without very serious withdrawal consequences. He advised that it was only going to get worse as I plodded ahead towards going cold turkey. He suggested that I go to a rehab center and check in as the biggest step was yet ahead of me. My wonderful insurance company would not approve of the rehab clinic or the $1300 per day it was going to cost. Besides I had a job and had only missed enough time that I was able to cover it with sick leave and vacations. The pain clinic Dr. warned me that I was about to go through **** and informed me that he could not advise that I go it alone. He said that if I did go it alone then he was washing his hands of me as it was not medically advised.

Well, right here I am going to stick up for Goodshot and to that which he eluded. I did not go it alone.....I prayed like I had never prayed before. I turned the tv off and tuned into God's word. I asked God to intervene on my behalf and He did. I felt the peace and comfort that only can come from the Holy Spirit. I think that Dr was correct... you can't be on those levels of opiates for that extended period of time and get completely off of them without help. The help that I got was from the Holy Spirit interceding on my behalf and that is far greater than anything that the pain clinic Dr could have put before me. I would caution anyone that would discredit the power of the Triune God as God is limitless!

He is infinite, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and the medical profession can't touch any of that!

#23 ·
gpa God heals, mankind only treats. Out of my 14 seven day supply of this stuff I've only taken two in
three days. That's not even half of what I was told to take. But the muscle relaxer is doing a fine job with
my condition and it isn't a narcotic.
So I guess I was luckier than you guys were, but it still hurt like ****. Praise the lord it was only a
muscular problem and not my spine itself. Hard to belive a persistent inflamed muscle can do that to you,
but it sure did.

#28 ·
Yes, Argent, and the constipation thing is rough too! ha!
There are natural substances, i see a push to ban kratom which is a natural pain killer and improves the mood.
Praying against the pain has been very effective for me, especially against the 'charly horse", got one again this morning getting up, spoke, "pain be gone in Jesus name", and immediately it left.
He has especially honored that one for me since He first directed me to make use of it.
Give it a try, what He does for one He is willing to do for another, even Lloyd.
We have nothing to lose but our infirmity.

#30 · (Edited)
I can get rid of Charlie horse just by walking it out. They do hurt but are nothing like sciatica. Or some of those back or neck injuries from what I hear. I'm doing better with just the muscle relaxers and the
anti inflammatory pills. I'm scared to death of those opiates, all the horror stories you hear.

#33 ·
Opiates are destroying this country. Every day someone dies because some doctor prescribed to many narcotics or those narcotics got into the hands of the wrong person. It has to stop. Id have to guess anyone that argues that would change there mind in a split second if there kid od'ed tommarow

BS!
This is the problem with deaths from overdose. It's called Fentanyl and it's manufactured in countries like China and smuggled into the USA.
The problem is NOT with most Physician prescribed pain killers like Tramadol. The former DEA Chief acknowledges this.

Synthetic opioid overdose death rates (other than methadone) increased across all demographics, county urbanization levels, and numerous states. State reports have indicated that increases in synthetic opioid-involved deaths have been associated with the number of drug submissions obtained by law enforcement that test positive for fentanyl but not with fentanyl prescribing rates. These reports indicate that increases in synthetic opioid-involved deaths are being driven by increases in fentanyl-involved overdose deaths, and the source of the fentanyl is more likely to be illicitly manufactured than pharmaceutical.2,3,4

There are also fentanyl analogs, such as acetylfentanyl, furanylfentanyl, and carfentanil, which are similar in chemical structure to fentanyl but not routinely detected because specialized toxicology testing is required. Recent surveillance has also identified other emerging synthetic opioids, like U-47700.5 Estimates of the potency of fentanyl analogs vary from less potent than fentanyl to much more potent than fentanyl, but there is some uncertainty because potency of illicitly manufactured fentanyl analogs has not been evaluated in humans. Carfentanil, the most potent fentanyl analog detected in the U.S., is estimated to be 10,000 times more potent than morphine. 5,6

#34 ·
I take a host of minerals and vitamins, mine are most often dehydration based, still, when we make Him first, as we are ALL supposed to, prayer has the best and fastest effect, if we think "Dr." first we have given
first place to this world, as well intention-ed as it might seem,we are not to do that if we are His Own, Jesus is to have first place.

#37 ·
Im interested in trying your way. To ask God to help me with my pain. Do you have a prayer that can make a waco Jim Jones wanabe pain in the !!! go away??? Seems you do a heck of a lot of praying to get things. Me? I pray to give thanks for what I have and just to praise him. Let me ask you this. Your grandchild gets violently sick. Are you going to the church or to the emergency room first?? Me? im heading to the emergency room probably asking God for help on the way. But im sure as heck not heading to my priest house to have him pray and lay hands on the kid. How about if your grandkid is diagnosed with leukemia. Are you going to say no to chemo and just pray it away??? Now if you TRUELY believe what you spout I know what the answer has to be. Either your beliefs are totally valid and you totally trust in them or its some cultist dance you do for people that have cramps and hangnails.

#36 ·
pastor, you are correct, hydration is the ticket. I got them often and got cramps LOTS. Went to my doctor and he pulled me off the diuretics meds he had me on to lower blood pressure. He said cramps are a sure sign of dehydration. I guess I should have went and talked to my priest first but it worked out pretty well the way I did it and I suspect my priest and God had a bit more important things to deal with then me belly aching about cramps. The way I sweat it would be a real problem if I lived in FL!!

#38 ·
Lloyd, in my experience God does heal in answer to the prayer of faith. But not on demand and not always in the way we want him too. Scripture says each person has a set amount of days in this world. So eventually we all will die physically. Scripture also tells us that we can pray for more time like hezicah did. And God gave him a few more years.

I believe we can also shorten our day by doing certain things. At the same time I must witness to the fact that god has healed my body of a rupture when I was a kid. The pastor prayed for me and I got up off the couch and started playing again. Dr had said I needed surgery but I’ve never gotten it because Jesus healed me. But then I’ve had 2 heart surgeries, for some reason God didn’t heal me of heart problems. So I supose God wanted me to go through those surgeries for his own reasons.

And if I understand Jesus teaching we will face trials, persecution, and all the hardships of life until we are perfected into the image of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. So we keep the faith, pray with others for their needs, and encourage the brethren until we go to be with God or he returns to fix the broken world we now live in.

#39 ·
It would be a rough road for a lot of deserving people who are truly in intense pain if not for the opiates.
And I don't think they want it for any kind of getting high, they just want a normal life without the pain.
Until we are are able to come up with something else, it's about all we have. The new Steroids are showing
a lot of promise.

They used those on my shoulder and bing, it was all gone. It was unbelievable when everyone else was
talking about extensive surgery in Lubbock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.