Graybeard Outdoors - View Single Post - Are fiat/ram pickups junk?
View Single Post
post #84 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM
lloyd smale

one of my good friend is our sheriff. last fall they got 3 new vehicles. another new charger, one of those ford suv cop specials and he picked himself up a ram pickup not because it was the band he wanted. It was the only choice for a set up police pickup. His own pickup is a gmc. I asked him what the guys thought of that ford. He said its FAST! Quite a bit quicker then the changers. His words were that it would eat the charger for lunch. But he also said that its about split down the middle on who likes it and who doesn't. He said the negatives hes heard is they don't handle as well or ride as well as the charger and with that slight turbo lag they can be a handful on icy roads. Positives were it was roomier and held more equipment like rescue gear. I guess time will tell with reliability but he did say his chargers have been great cars. Out of the 9 they've had since the first one he had the second one they bought have a transmission go bad at 7000 miles and after it was replace it was as trouble free as the others. What I wonder about in that ford is again you have an eco boost motor and 10 speed transmission that ford doesn't have enough faith in to put it in a 3/4 ton truck. Makes me wonder how it will hold up to police use for the long haul. He said the looked at the ford tarrus police car in comparison to the charger and all he had to so was sit in it and he knew it wasn't what they wanted. Said it was way to small inside and had a smaller trunk. Our local city police drive tahoes. Don't have a clue what they think of them but I guess they needs are different. they don't need speed because theres about 5 miles of highway in there jurisdiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Regarding Police vehicles most departments are ditching the Chargers for Chevy or Ford SUV's due to maintenance and operating costs. Those are the mechanics I have been asking about their experience. Here is an article similar to what I've heard:

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/...a4bcf6878.html

The majority of top law enforcement officers in Polk County are not thrilled with the Dodge Charger as a patrol car, but they also said there isn’t much of an alternative.

Dodge’s police interceptor, first introduced in 2006, is a beefed-up version of the Charger Dodge first brought to the market in 2005. Since the first model, police agencies around the country have adopted the interceptor vehicle, including local law enforcement. Since then, police officers have had more trouble with the cars than they imagined.

All three have one car in mind that suited police well.

“In a perfect world, I’d like to have the (Ford) Crown Vic back,” Sorrells said, adding that he has used a Crown Victoria for 36 of his 38 years in law enforcement.

Dodd said the reasoning is simple: The Ford Crown Vic was reliable.

“The Crown Vic was a proven vehicle. When they did away with it, it was disappointing,” Dodd said.

Moats said, “If the Crown Vic were still available, we would go with them.”

As it is, Moats said his department’s next purchase will be Chevrolet Tahoes with all-wheel drive. The sheriff said those could be used in situations where there is snow and ice.

Here is another regarding PDs using over 50% SUVs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...suv/103006874/

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome