Graybeard Outdoors banner

50 stores you once loved that don't exist anymore

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  peakoftherut 
#1 ·
https://www.businessinsider.com/sto...-at-its-peak-all-of-which-shuttered-in-1998-2

I do miss some of them greatly.
I worked at Media Play one year, bought my first computer at Circuit City and just plain miss Radio Shack.
Other such as Walden, B. Dalton and Borders are the only reason I went to shopping centers unless I was going to the sporting goods store or for a pizza.
I miss department stores as I grew up with them, each chain was a little different from each other.
Here we are down to Macy's and Penney's .

#6 ·
Business Insider won't let me see it without disabling my ad blocker - so screw 'em.

I miss Radio Shack too. Another is Montgomery Wards (especially back when they sold guns/ammo there), but even after that too. Probably more if I could view the list.
Go to a search engine and put the title in the box.
Other places also have the article.

#5 ·
I had never heard of several of these and was surprised to hear a few names I knew were long gone...
Among those listed I loved going to and would still shop if they existed today, the ones in bold I miss the most:
Warner Bros stores (there was a outlet location near my base when I was in the Army once, I got all kinds of stuff there. I even met Mel Blanc, the cartoon voice guy, at one of their stores many years a go, a memory I cherish today).
KB Toys. I love toy stores. Don't know why.
Toys R Us.
Circuit City, even though their customer service was the worst.
B. Dalton Books. I love good bookstores!
Waldenbooks.
Borders Books & Music. I really miss this chain!
Radio Shack, for those rare times I needed electronic stuff. When I was building my model railroad layout, I bought a lot of my wiring stuff there just as the last local store was closing, in 2014...

#7 · (Edited)
Circuit City, even though their customer service was the worst.
That is the one thing here that made them great, beyond prices.
Here, they had a dude, who later started an computer business he sold for big bucks, working the floor and when I had problems with my computer he spent a long time going through it to eliminate the problem.
He did while I was there too, not come back later.
I admit I live in the past , not look forward to the future, but when things get crappy, those memories are all that keeps me going.
Expecting the worst and being happy with it not being as bad as expected works too.

#16 ·
As I get older and go shopping with my wife, grandkids, daughter whoever. I find myself enjoying it less and like the ability to look online at stuff I like. Now days you can pretty much get what you want in a couple of days or less. Don't know why old age does that to you.

#17 ·
I still like, more by myself, shopping at new stores in new areas, I an kill an hour just walking around a new grocery store, but if you get to the stores where you live it can get to be same old, same old, been there , done that.
Here we have an over stock, out of business products store that I can spend a long time in every time I go there as it is continually changing.

#18 ·
I miss the old Radio Shack (before they turned into a cell phone store) that actually sold radios and electronic components.

#21 ·
True, now all you find at those places is odd European stuff, Chinese knockoffs of stuff or military items ridiculously overpriced.
Same reason why I rarely ever go to gun shows anymore, because all the old military stuff dried up from them ages ago...

#24 ·
I bought my first PC from Circuit City in Tulsa Oklahoma now the store is a Northern Tool I think.

Deaconllb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.