Graybeard Outdoors banner

Back to Bostwana Tuli Block Jun 2020 and Aug 2020

2K views 13 replies 1 participant last post by  m3taco 
#1 ·
OK gentlemen, I realize the various hunting seasons are upon us throughout the US but, I still want to let all of you know that Bob and I are going back to the Botswana Tuli Block with Gerhard Koch in Jun 2020 and I’m planning to organize another trip for Aug 2020 for anyone wishing to go. I’ve already reserved the prime dark of the moon dates as follows:

June 2020 – arrive at camp early afternoon of 16 Jun followed by 9-10 FULL hunting days and start travel back home on 26 or 27 Jun 2020

Aug 2020 – arrive at camp early afternoon of 14 Aug followed by 9-10 FULL hunting days and start travel back home on 24 or 25 Aug.

The reason I’m leaving the total number of days a little flexible is you’ll notice below in the list of Gerhard’s most popular “packages” are from 6-8 days in length. However, I highly recommend you add a couple of extra days. It will be less hectic and you can relax and take your time to truly enjoy the experience.

June - Since Bob and I are absolutely going back in Jun, I currently have 2-3 spaces available for the June trip. Bob is having Gerhard put together a bit of a specialized package for himself that may include species that are out of the Tuli block and maybe require going across to RSA. I’m only interested in staying in the Tuli. So, what I’m willing to do is if someone wants to go and split one of the below 2x1 packages, I’ll take the other half or if 3 shooters want to come and split Package #4, I’ll fill in one of those spots. If it turns to be just Bob and I, then I’ll just to a cull only hunt right there.

Aug - I am going back in Aug (alone or with others) and have as of this post, one gentlemen and his wife (observer only) tentatively interested in going, so this leaves 2-4 spaces available for the Aug trip. Same deal, if a couple of hunting friends want to split a package or just individual hunters what to come I’ll try to split a package or even ask Gerhard to do something special to accommodate everyone’s wishes.

General Plan – We’ll all meet in Atlanta and take the overnight flight to J’berg and stay overnight at the City Lodge Hotel right in the airport complex. Next day we’ll fly Air Botswana to Gaborone. I’ll coordinate all the airline tickets and hotel rooms. I’ll sort out all the firearm transit permits thru J’berg and temp import permits for Botswana.

As I’ve mentioned before – I don’t get a “cut” or a “commission”. I pay my own way. I do this just because I honestly love going and also helping others who may have always wanted to go but don’t have anyone else interested or thought it was too difficult to do on their own. So, here are the four “usual” packages Gerhard has. You can also contact them directly inquire about other options you’d like.

2020 PACKAGES: (All prices are in U.S. Dollars)

PACKAGE # 1 – 6 Trophy Animals – 1x impala, 1x warthog, 1x blue w/b, 1x kudu, 1x gemsbok, 1x waterbuck. Includes 7 nights, 6 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 1x1 (each hunter will have own PH) $7800.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 2 – 10 Trophy Animals – 2x impala, 2x warthog, 2x blue w/b, 1x zebra, 1x kudu, 1x gemsbok, 1x waterbuck. Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 1x1 (each hunter will have own PH) $8900.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 3 – 20 Cull Animals – 10x cull impala, 10x blue w/b. split between 2 hunters. Includes 7 nights, 6 full hunting days all inclusive, Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 2x1 (2 hunters and one PH) $3000.00 per client. Up to two of each species can be taken as trophies at no extra charge.

PACKAGE #4 – 24 Trophies and 60 CullsMust be a minimum group of 4 hunters. 40x impala ( 1x trophy & 9x culls each hunter), 12x warthog (1x trophy & 2x culls each hunter), 20x blue w/b (1x trophy & 4x culls each hunter), 4x trophy zebra (1x trophy each hunter), 4x trophy kudu (1x trophy each hunter), 4x trophy eland (1x trophy each hunter). . Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Each hunter will hunt 1x1 with own PH, tracker and truck. The trophy kudu and trophy eland can be exchanged for any other trophy or cull animals at the same prices listed below. $6375.00 per client. Note – extra shooters can be added to the group at the same rate.

Extra cull animals can be added at: Impala - $100.00 ea., blue w/b $200.00 ea., zebra $350.00 ea., and giraffe $1000.00 ea.

Extra days can be added to above packages at a cost of $350.00 p/p/p/d 1x1 or $250.00 p/p/p/d 2x1. Non-hunting observers $150.00 p/p/p/d. In addition to the above all inclusive packages we will custom tailor a package to your specifications and requirements.

2020 STAND ALONE AND ADD ON TROPHY FEES:
Trophy animals can be added to any of the above packages on an al a carte fee basis at the following prices per animal.
Giraffe $2500.00 Eland $1600.00 Impala $400.00
Kudu $1500.00 Gemsbok $1000.00 Warthog $350.00
Bushbuck $1000.00 Blue Wildebeest $600.00 Red hartebeest $1000.00
Waterbuck $1400.00 Steenbok $200.00 Duiker $200.00
Baboon $50.00 Vervet Monkey $20.00 Jackal FREE
**Other species may be available on request

See less See more
#2 ·
Since Gerhard's website seems to be down, if anyone is seriously interested in going on one of these trips, PM me your email address and I'll send you a video of our Jun trip that my PH, Basjan Bakker put together and a few pics of the rooms.

#3 ·
Want to post an update for available slots.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days (flexible) – still time to add or subtract a day or two if ALL going in the group agree. Means we’d start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 –
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional
Waiting List -

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days (flexible) – still time to add or subtract a day or two if ALL going in the group agree. Means we’d start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed
Slot 3 – Interested but not yet committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional
Waiting List -

At this point, there is no need to commit/confirm by paying (to Gerhard) a deposit. I know there are a few guys who are interested in going who are going to go to either DSC or SCI etc this spring. My last contact with Gerhard is that he is intending to be at both. He will be sharing a booth with someone but not 100% sure who/what booths he will work out of.

I don’t handle/deal with any of the money. Gerhard is planning on opening a US based bank account while he is here this spring. This way he can give clients his account number and they can make initial payment deposits via personal check directly into his account to confirm/lock in a booking. When you complete your hunt, you can either settle your account balance in cash or via credit card right there at their house. If you want to confirm/lock now, you’ll have to wire funds to his account in Bots.

At this point, if someone wants to commit to one of the open slots, just post so here in the open. The optional 5th slot is in case two hunting buddies want to go. I’ve also put the “Waiting List” on just in case someone says they want a slot and then back out before the deadline for making the deposit payment to “lock in” their spot.

Slots will be considered a “committed” on a first come first serve basis based on the date/time stamp on PM’s and open forum postings.

You don’t have to decide on a “package” yet, but if you’d like me to split a 2x1 with you it will be on a first come, first serve basis as I can’t do two 2x1’s at the same time or if three guys need a 4th to fill a spot on Package #4.

The deadline for “locking in” a Jun trip spot is 1 Mar 2020
The deadline for “locking in” an Aug trip spot is 1 Apr 2020.

#4 ·
Quick update:

Gerhard's website is indeed "down". Since it hadn't been updated in a long time, he's found someone to build it fresh and hopes to have it back up and on-line early in 2020.

The "packages" above are just his most popular hunting options. If anyone would like to go but do something different then above, by all means feel free to email them directly at: gmkochbot@yahoo.com

As him to price out a hunt for exactly what you'd like and any combination of culls/trophies you'd like. If you can't make the dates I've got set up for Jun and Aug 2020 you can work out other dates that he might have open.

He is planning to be coming over and being at the Houston Safari Club convention in Jan 2020. Hasn't worked out what booth/space he'll be sharing/working out of yet but if anyone is planning on going, you can email him and sort out a meeting place within the convention venue.

#5 ·
The gentleman who committed to opening #2 in for the Aug 2020 trip wants to do pkg #4. I'll take one of the four minimum spots required for that pkg so that leaves just two more needed and we all get one of the best cull/trophy deals I've seen.

Still two spots open for the Jun trip and Bob is going to hunt 1x1 and I'll fill 2x1 spot with someone or if three more commit and want pkg #4, I'll fill the fourth spot here again to make it happen for the other three.

#6 ·
I've been asked a question from some other forums I've got this posted on. For those not familiar with how the expenses flow, here's a little outline. I understand, this is a considerable about of money, but it is spread out over the course of a year or more and not needed as a "lump sum up front".

a) The first expense will be the deposit that confirms your commitment and locks your spot. This deposit is 50% of the the pkg and extra days and animals you might want to add. This is NOT paid to me. In the past, you'd have to wire it to Gerhard's account in Botswana, but, since he will be at the Houston Safari Club convention this Jan, he his going to open a US based bank account. All you have to do is write a check, make a copy of if and email the copy to Gerhard, write "Deposit Only" and his account number on the back and mail it to the bank. No deposits are due until he gets this account opened by the end of Jan 2020.

b) The second expense will be the purchase of your airline ticket. Once everyone is committed, you'll forward a copy of your passport and the closest airport you intend to depart from and return to. I'll submit all our names to a booking agent I've been using for 5+ years and he'll get us the best deals he can find. Historically, he's been able to beat or match what you can find the same flights for on-line. I'll review everyone routes to make sure we are all on the same Atlanta to J'berg to Gabby flights. If all is good, he'll email everyone your e-tickets and invoice us all individually. Estimate r/t economy airline tickets of around $2000 but will vary depending on where you start from. You can also work directly with him if you want to upgrade to economy comfort, business class or 1st. Important thing is we are all on the same Delta Atlanta to J'berg and Air Botswana from J'berg to Gabby and back.
c) Once we have our airline tickets locked, I'll book rooms for us at the City Lodge Hotel in J'berg. Expect that to be about $150 US or so depending on the exchange rate. That will be for individual private rooms with two double beds and a killer buffet breakfast.

d) Third amount of money will be due 30-days before we leave. This will the balance due of your anticipated package cost.

e) If you decide to take more animals than you originally anticipated, that's fine. You can just settle your final bill with Gerhard via credit card at his house before we leave.

f) Final amount of money due will be sometime later the following year for your taxidermy if you decide to bring back more than just photos. There is really no way to estimate what anyone's taxidermy bill will be because it could range from just dried/salted flat skins and skulls and horn to full body mounts.

In the end, it is still a considerable amount of money but at least this gives you some idea of timing for when and where it needs to go and how the full cost is spread over the course of a year or more.

#7 ·
Just a gratuitous Sat evening bump.

The gentleman who has committed to the second spot for the Aug 2020 trip really wants to take Pkg #4. Need at least two more to go and and take Pkg #4. If we get three total to go, I'll take Pkg #4 as well to make the fourth shooter min. required.

As a side note - if you're interested in Pkg #4 but not necessarily the exact mix of species, and numbers of culls and trophies, I know Gerhard will do some exchanges of species and culls vs trophies for the same price and we'd all still the a **** of a deal on a lot of animals. If this would interest you, send Gerhard an email and tell him your interested in going with one of these groups and what you'd like. gmkochbot@yahoo.com

#8 ·
We just need two or three more guys to commit to the Aug trip and pkg #4.

Still have two to three spots open on the Jun trip. The June trip can be either one of the 1x1 pkgs or two can go together and do a 2x1 pkg. If need be, since I'm doing a 1x1 myself, if just one more wants to go and split a 2x1 I'll take the other half of that to make it work. For Jun, I'll also take a spot on pkg 4 but that means a least three more need to take the other spots.

#9 ·
I was asked "What the minimum rifle, caliber, cartridge and bullets" were for a hunt like this.

Minimum caliber is anything 7mm and big as you want to bring. Any of the 7mm with a 140gr TSX or a 308 with 150gr TSX loaded to at least 95% max will do complete broadside pass through on zebra up to 200yds. Will be fine on eland if you put the bullet in the vitals. My point being, don't need the big boomers. The relatively short shooting distances, under 150yds. With the terrane and cover, this would be a GREAT place to take a lever gun from 30-30 and up.

If you go down and read my trip reports for Jun and Jul 2019, all Bob was using was a 308 with 150gr TSX, except he used his 375 Ruger with 270gr TSX for the roan and croc, and my wife and I were using 30/06's with 180gr Speer Grand Slams. I did use my 375 Ruger with 300gr brass solids on the giraffe. In all my trips over to Namibia, RSA and Bots, I've used everything from 308, 30/06, 375 Ruger, 45/70 and 450 Marlin in Marlin 1895's and bolt guns and H&R single shots.

#10 ·
Quick Update:

A gentleman who hunted with Gerhard last Aug also, David, had such a good time, he saw Gerhard at the Houston SCI show and will be joining the Aug 2020 trip. So, here are the open spots.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 –
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
Slot 3 – Committed - David
Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 5 – Optional

If these dates don't work for you, you are more than welcome to contact Gerhard directly via email, gmkochbot@yahoo.com or via Whatsapp Messaging service +267 75 414 214. He will be at our home here in Tampa 5 & 6 Feb. PM me and I'll give you my cell number and you can call and talk to him directly.

#11 ·
Here is a quick update on open spots for the trips.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 – Confirmed (A.D.)
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
Slot 3 – Committed - David
Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 5 – Optional

Gerhard also has the prime PG "dark of the moon" dates open in July. Contact him directly for dates. I'll still help with your airline planning and paperwork if you can't make either of the trips above and book separately/directly with him.

#12 ·
Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.
Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.

#13 ·
Sorry for not updating the status of this year's trips until now. Just so many unknown's and variables.

As most of you probably know, International travel has pretty much been shut down by the WuFlu. Two of us in the June trip had already purchased airline tickets and then a few weeks later, it all closed up and flights cancelled. We were still hopeful flights and boarders would be opening back up in time to make the June dates. Unfortunately, while Botswana has eased it's internal travel restrictions, as of today, the boarders are still closed. So, with only a little more than a month till departing, we decided it was prudent to cancel the June trip. Too many variables in getting there and back right now.

On a positive note, we're still planning for the Aug trip to be a go. Bob is just going to bump over but unfortunately A.D. can't make the change - has already lost too much work time due to the lock down to take anymore time in Aug.

So....very hopeful the Aug trip is still on and have four of us going and would have room to take one more with us if anyone might be interested in going.

Also, I'll be putting together trips for 2021 later this year. I'd like to do one PG hunt to NW Namibia with myself and just two others and one or two trips back to Botswana. Dates for each still to be sorted out but will be sometime between mid May to late Sep and over the prime full dark of the moon weeks. I'll kind of leave the dates open and the first person who decides they want to go we'll work the hard dates around their choice of dates and country.

#14 ·
Quick update - Bots has started to relax their lockdown a bit further. Now, citizens can freely travel within their own districts (think large counties) but still need a permit to move between districts. They hope to drop that restriction by 1 Jun and if all goes well, open the boarders by 1 July.

Qatar Airways opened up bookings from the US to Qatar, then to J'berg with the final leg on Air Botswana. So, we booked our flights Thursday. $1000 r/t with upgraded seats. Just need separate r/t from home(s) to Chicago. Four of us going and could still make room for one more if someone wants to go.

Depart 12 Aug and all meet in Chicago mid-afternoon in time to make the evening flt to Doha. We start flying back on 26 Aug and would be back in Chicago mid afternoon of the 27th.

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the flight details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.