Small Group Plains Game Hunt to Namibia 2019 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Small Group Plains Game Hunt to Namibia 2019

I've been enjoying hunting in Namibia for a number of years and my wife and I have traveled/toured it pretty extensively. I meet lots of people who have always wanted to hunt in Africa but always thought it was more expensive than it actually is. What I'd like to do is offer up my services and put together a small group of hunters who've always dreamed of going but either have had no one to go with or have been a bit intimidated by the idea of traveling out of the US to the "dark continent" alone.

The place we've been going to is http://www.sebrahunt.com/. It's about a 6hr drive NW of the capital of Namibia in the Northwestern Mountains. it's about 50K acres of private land, all low-fenced, free range and fair chase. There are a couple of large (25k-30k acre) high fenced properties you might hunt on, depending on the species you're after.

Namibia is a very safe country, no special shots required and a non-malaria area. Namibia is very hunter and firearm friendly. It was predominately colonized by the Germans and the capital city, Windhoek, is just about like being in Germany. Great food, outstanding beer and the exchange rate is REALLY good - the USD goes a LONG way there. Our "group" will be the only ones on the property or "in camp".

What I would like to offer is organizing a small group of 2-4 people who would like to go. I'll help coordinate the dates, your airfare and travel, permits and be your personal guide there and back. I will pay my own way/expenses and I don't get a commission or a "cut" of the fees. My only desire is to honestly help others achieve what may be a life long dream.

To give a general idea of the cost of a "hunt" here, a 10-day, 2x1 (means two clients and one PH), with each client taking a mountain zebra, gemsbok, impala and springbok with economy class airfare can be done for less than $10K per person. That includes, all the food and lodging, daily laundry service, daily maid service, PH's, trackers/skinniers, initial trophy prep and delivery to a local taxidermist/exporter but does NOT include any taxidermy work.

I've attached a complete price list,. Send me a PM with your email address or ask questions here and I'll answer publicly. Mostly want to see what, if any, interest this generates.

PS - Jan said the 2018 prices will be the same for 2019.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018 Price List - US Format.pdf (140.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by m3taco; 09-14-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added Price List *.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I just want to be sure I'm clear that I will not be one of the "hunters" in this group. I will help organize travel to and from for everyone and go along a the groups personal guide. I will pay my own expenses out of my pocket. I do NOT get a "cut" or commission to do this.

While on the property, I will not be "hunting". I may go along to only be an extra set of eyes to spot, track and recover game taken or Jan may have me off doing something completely different, a lot depends on the situation and requirements from day to day.

As I've mentioned above, the reason I'm offering this is to help those who've always dreamed of hunting in Africa but thought it was way out of their price range or not confident in planning and traveling overseas on their own.

The second reason is this land has been in Jan's family since 1900. It was purchased by his grandfather and grandmother whom are both buried on the property. Jan hopes to carry on the tradition of passing the land on to his son. I'm a "farm boy" and understand the desire to pass the family farm on to the next generation. Because this is a small family operation, he doesn't go to the "Big Shows", like SCI or DSC to advertise. The up side of this is he doesn't have the huge advertising costs that gets passed on to you, the clients. Plus, he doesn't have to have the high volume of hunters every year and the high number of animals taken.

I've attached below file with a breakdown example of a 1x1 hunt cost for a 10-day PG hunt. Going as a 2x1 will save $750 in the daily rates. He can't do any better if four clients go because under Namibian law, one PH can only guide a max of two hunters at a time so, he has to hire in an extra PH. IF it turns out that only three clients can make the trip then I'll go ahead and pay the extra cost to make it a foursome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Example Trip Cost Breakdown For a Basic Hunt.pdf (6.0 KB, 15 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

For those that might not be familiar with the term "daily rate", what that means is the cost per day. This price includes all meals (beer, wine and soft drinks included), daily laundry service, twice a day maid service in your room, tracker(s), skinners and initial salting/drying and prep of your trophies and then delivery to the local taxidermist/export agents, vehicle, fuel, PH and your license.

Only "extras" you pay are hard liqueur, travel expense to/from the capitol of Windhoek until you are picked up and of course the trophy fees for the individual animals you shoot.

Due to the overnight flights and depending on the route we take it could take two to three calendar days to get there and the same coming back. Also means we may have to stay over one night in Johannesburg or Zurich or Frankfurt or Amsterdam but, we can sort that out once the group has committed to dates and routes that workout the best for all.

We will need to spend a least one night in Windhoek either going in or coming back and that mean dinner at Joe's Beerhouse!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Just want to answer the most common questions I get:

1. The "Official" hunting season is from 1 Feb to 30 Nov. The prime hunting months are from mid May to early Oct. Mostly due to the weather. Because there are so many species, there is always something in "rut" and it runs longer than typical US species. Earlier in May and it is still HOT, same for after early Oct. Jun-Aug, the overnight lows could be in the low 40's but, it warms quickly to the mid-high 70s. Humidity is 3-5% and virtually zero chance of rain.

2. Terrain is in the NW'ern mountains. Average elevation is about 3500ft. a "typical" hunt is spot and stalk where you climb up a small koppie (hill) and glass a valley and the stalk begins. IF you want to be a long range "shooter" you can and if you want to be a "hunter" there is enough cover, terrain/vegetation and your skills, you can get to well under 40yds. Typical shooting distances are under 150yds.

3. Firearms - minimum legal caliber is 7mm, so if you have any of the 7mm or 270 Win on up, your fine. HIGHLY recommend the heavier for caliber bullets and especially Barnes TSX. Most clients bring 308 or 30/06 etc. Namibia is VERY hunter and firearms friendly. It will easier to bring your guns into Namibia than bringing them back into the US. NO handguns and NO full or semi automatic firearms.

4. General Kit - Don't over pack. Because laundry is done everyday, all you need is 3 changes of clothes - the set you wear over, one set in your carry-on and one set in your checked luggage. I highly recommend long sleeve cotton shirts and long pants. Full leather NON INSULATED hunting boots, wide brimmed hat, light sweatshirt, medium weight jacket and depending on month, a heavy coat. Key is to layer up. Bino's - 8x or 10x only and don't have to break the bank. Nikon Monarchs are **** good glass for the money.

5. General - Only need a valid US passport with at least 8 blank pages. Entry visa is free and stamped in your passport upon arrival. No special shots/immunizations needed. I do recommend you update your tetanus. It is a non malaria area so no special meds required unless you are a belt and suspenders guy and want to take something.

6. Typical hunting day: Breakfast at daylight and on the truck out at sunrise and hunt till mid-day. You either come back to the house for lunch or stop for a picnic lunch in the bush. Take a nap for an hour or two and back hunting till dark. The reason for the nap/break is the animals pretty much stop moving and bed down for a few hours themselves. Back to the house at dark, have a few "sundowners" around the fire while dinner is finished. Shower, sleep and repeat. The meals will be all game meats - if you shoot it in the morning, you'll be eating it that night. Cooking is generally in the "German" style and all you can eat and it is GOOD!

This is a pretty good summery and wiling to answer any and all specific questions.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:26 PM

For what it's worth category, I have hunted Namibia on Jan's ranch many years ago as one of his first "clients" and had a "blast". He and his wife are great hosts who are very accommodating, and the land is the "Kalahari Savanna" that resembles the "foothill mountains" near the desert of Arizona (my take). M3taco gives a lot of good advice and information and offers a good deal to interested parties!

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jager. The place has really improved over the years. That's the main difference in hunting private land vs. lease/concession. Much more incentive into and taking care of the place if you own it and want to pass it down to your son.

We first went there a year or so after they finished the first two floors of the main house and the guest bungalows. Since that time, they've added a formal/proper skinning/meat processing shed, the 3rd story to the house several more bore holes (wells) and water points, several permanent elevated and ground blinds, road improvements and the brie area. Upgraded the solar system and battery bank capacity a LOT and now all the bore holes (wells) are running on solar pumps. They've also bought in a starter herd of springbok a few years ago and it has grown to several hundred head.

Greater Western Kudu numbers and sizes have been down the past few years region wide due to a four year drought that finally ended two years ago. Had all the water they could drink from the bore holes but, very little food and a virus that only effected the old bulls. Numbers are coming back and the sizes are improving, will just take time. Good odds of finding a very respectable mid 50's bull.

Gemsbok populations are really good and this year there were several bulls in the 40-43 in range.

Mountain Zebra populations are really good too.

If you haven't seen Windhoek in a few years, you might not recognize it for all the home and commercial construction. City is still just as safe and all the normal modern conveniences etc.

Exchange rate is crazy good right now, over 14 to 1 ($1.00 USD = 14.00+ ND). Can eat and drink like kings there. A full meal with starters, entree with all the trimmings and desert and all the beer/wine you can hold will set you back maybe $20.00. A 1ltr beer is about $2.25 US. A 750ml bottle of Jack Daniels in a liquor store is between $20-$25 US and a bottle of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12yr is between $40-$45 US.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm cross linking to another site that is more Africa hunting related, so that those interested can see reviews of other long time members there whom have hunted with this same PH/Outfitter http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...8/m/6031038542
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Getting a few inquiries. This does not have to be a full group of 4 - could just be two people. Two friends, father/son, father/daughter, husband/wife.

And this doesn't have to be only hunting, can also include a few days of sightseeing in Namibia or Victoria Falls and Chobe National Park. In Namibia, Windhoek, the capital city, is good for a couple of days, Swakopmund/Skeleton Coast is good for a couple of days, Fish River Canyon, second larges canyon in the world, with a stop in Sossusvlei along the way, is good for a day or two and of course Etosha National Park for a day and an overnight.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Have been talking to Jan and wanted to update on this post. He currently has open dates for late May, late June, late July and late Aug thru all of Sep. He'd like to fill up the rest of his calender so....

He said that anyone who books and confirms via deposit BEFORE 1 Apr 2019, will get 25% off the daily rate. Game fees remain the same. That is nearly $1000.00 discount on a 1x1 10-day hunt. He hasn't offered a daily rate like this since 2010. This offer is the same if I'm your guide over or you go on your own.

Just to clarify - you don't have to conduct your hunt by 1 Apr. You just have to book and confirm your dates with him before then. The actual hunt can be any time he has open dates remaining in the 2019 season.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

OK guys, quick update.

My wife and I are going sometime in Aug-Sep. We are fortunate that we can be flexible on our dates so, we're leaving it up to the first person(s) who want to go and can make one of those months.

Bring your bolt guns, lever guns, single shots or you can bring a black power rifle, whatever you'd like to bring. We don't have b/p but, can you imagine the time you'd have with a b/p plains game hunt!!

We won't be booking our tickets until May-mid Jun to allow anyone who might be seriously considering this to find dates that work for them.

This could be a couple of guys, husband/wife/son/daughter, or even a single hunter with no one to go with. Come with us! If it's a husband/wife, at the end of the hunting, we can sort out a side trip up to Victoria Falls and you can stay in the original Victoria Falls Hotel for a few days and recommend things to do/see/go and places to eat.

Plan on at being "gone" for at least 14-16 days to allow for a full 10-days of hunting and if you can be a little flexible a couple of days in your time, this can save $400-$600 on your airline tickets. If you want to do the Vic Fall trip add 3-5 more total days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page