Back to Bostwana Tuli Block Jun 2020 and Aug 2020 - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Default

Here is a quick update on open spots for the trips.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 – Confirmed (A.D.)
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
Slot 3 – Committed - David
Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 5 – Optional

Gerhard also has the prime PG "dark of the moon" dates open in July. Contact him directly for dates. I'll still help with your airline planning and paperwork if you can't make either of the trips above and book separately/directly with him.
m3taco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Default

Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.
Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.
m3taco is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Default

Sorry for not updating the status of this year's trips until now. Just so many unknown's and variables.

As most of you probably know, International travel has pretty much been shut down by the WuFlu. Two of us in the June trip had already purchased airline tickets and then a few weeks later, it all closed up and flights cancelled. We were still hopeful flights and boarders would be opening back up in time to make the June dates. Unfortunately, while Botswana has eased it's internal travel restrictions, as of today, the boarders are still closed. So, with only a little more than a month till departing, we decided it was prudent to cancel the June trip. Too many variables in getting there and back right now.

On a positive note, we're still planning for the Aug trip to be a go. Bob is just going to bump over but unfortunately A.D. can't make the change - has already lost too much work time due to the lock down to take anymore time in Aug.

So....very hopeful the Aug trip is still on and have four of us going and would have room to take one more with us if anyone might be interested in going.

Also, I'll be putting together trips for 2021 later this year. I'd like to do one PG hunt to NW Namibia with myself and just two others and one or two trips back to Botswana. Dates for each still to be sorted out but will be sometime between mid May to late Sep and over the prime full dark of the moon weeks. I'll kind of leave the dates open and the first person who decides they want to go we'll work the hard dates around their choice of dates and country.
m3taco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Default

Quick update - Bots has started to relax their lockdown a bit further. Now, citizens can freely travel within their own districts (think large counties) but still need a permit to move between districts. They hope to drop that restriction by 1 Jun and if all goes well, open the boarders by 1 July.

Qatar Airways opened up bookings from the US to Qatar, then to J'berg with the final leg on Air Botswana. So, we booked our flights Thursday. $1000 r/t with upgraded seats. Just need separate r/t from home(s) to Chicago. Four of us going and could still make room for one more if someone wants to go.

Depart 12 Aug and all meet in Chicago mid-afternoon in time to make the evening flt to Doha. We start flying back on 26 Aug and would be back in Chicago mid afternoon of the 27th.

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the flight details.
m3taco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome