Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The right ammo for 270 Elk hunt

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  land_owner 
#1 ·
I have got drawn for a Elk hunt here in KY. I have a 270 which I have had for many years, My gun loves Hornady 130 gr SST. I know I can't use a 130 gr SST for Elk. There are some hunters here with experience Hunting Elk For shots from 75 to 250 -300 yds in 270 cal. Which bullit would you feel comfortable with.
I would appreciate your knowledge.

#5 ·
I've been a 270 shooter for over 40 years. I've always shot Nosler 150 grain Partitions for everything; deer, antelope, elk and moose if I can ever draw a tag. I'd avoid the SSTs and even the Nosler Ballistic Tips, unless I was going to shoot 150 grainers. Good luck and shoot straight.

#8 ·
Just personnal opinion but i believe the best bullet in the 270 win would be a 140gr bullet. But up the anti with an elk and I'd rather a 280 with 160gr bullet. have killed three elk with a 6.5x06 and 140gr bullet's, three in three shots. But I think a guy would be better off with a 30-06 and 180gr bullet's. So many different cartridges and bullet's and ideas on good shot makes the list prteey never ending! But if what I was going to use was a 270, my bullet would be the 150gr bullet. Fact is though that a 130gr bullet properly placed will equal a dead elk! The best known military snipper's didn't get their reputation by the gun they used but how they used the gun they had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.