Broad Heads Fixed vs Mechanical - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:25 PM

A lot depends on the draw weight, draw length and I believe most of all how heavy of an arrow you can & or choose to shoot. I have a 30" draw length and have shot 65 lb With a total arrow weight at 450 grains for years. Had lots of folks indicate that the heavy arrow is not needed or is a waste. Well this year I opted to break away from a tried & true set up for a 350 ish grain arrow.

Last weekend I had my shot opportunity and results were very successful though Ill opt to go back to my heavy arrow despite my success. With the heavier arrow passthroughs are the norm. This lighter happened to hit a bit high due to my range estimation error & perhaps my newly trauma induced cataract making the pin quite blurry.

Now the effectiveness of this particular shallow penetration hit was unarguably amazing. Despite my shallow penetration the deer dropped hind end first like he was spined. I followed up with another arrow to finish him off. wha sure He was hit in the spine though the autopsy when dressing him out proved that the BH path was early 2" below the spine.

I was surprised by both the dismal penetration and the deer dropping the spot. Oh this was a mechanical, NAP spitfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:26 AM

By far my favorite broadheads are fixed blade types to include the replaceable blade types. 160g three blade Thunderheads OMG those devils leave a mark. Unfortunately they have long been discontinued. I have a few sat aside along with some extra blades. The normal 125 g three blades still work just fine.

The Bear Razorheads work fine too.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page