Primative Archery and Small Game - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Default Primative Archery and Small Game

Hi All,
Have had a interest in self bows and other primative bows (heck even PVC bows) for some time. Rarely time to indulge it though.

Was wondering how effective primative archery is for small game?

Clearly there's enough power on tap, but I wonder about accuracy?

Hitting the breadbasket of a deer is one thing... a bunny or squirrel another.

Any tips on how to get accurate enough for that sort of thing?

Is it commonly done, or is it as I suspect... somewhat difficult to develop sufficient skill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Practice, practice, practice.

Start with a simple PVC bow, or even a sling bow. (Slingshot setup to shoot arrows)

But you really do not need arrows for small game. Slingshots will do very well with small ball bearings, 1/4" or 5/16ths inch.

If you really want effective try slinging some 45 caliber lead balls. Now they pack a thump.

IMO it is easier to build a good catch box to catch, slow and save your ammo than a good arrow target.
Because of the low noise level you can practice in your basement, garage, back yard.

Once you can start hitting a coke can at a reasonable distance a majority of the time you will be ready to try critters.
Please just remember standard hunting rules apply, license, hours, bag limits.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:25 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosth View Post
Practice, practice, practice.

Start with a simple PVC bow, or even a sling bow. (Slingshot setup to shoot arrows)

But you really do not need arrows for small game. Slingshots will do very well with small ball bearings, 1/4" or 5/16ths inch.

If you really want effective try slinging some 45 caliber lead balls. Now they pack a thump.

IMO it is easier to build a good catch box to catch, slow and save your ammo than a good arrow target.
Because of the low noise level you can practice in your basement, garage, back yard.

Once you can start hitting a coke can at a reasonable distance a majority of the time you will be ready to try critters.
Please just remember standard hunting rules apply, license, hours, bag limits.
Good post Ghosth! When I was a kid I wore out several slingshots and got good enough to hunt cottontail rabbits at short range. I put that slingshot away when I got old enough to shoot guns and only recently did I get it back out. The rubbers were shot and it didn't fit my big hand so I ordered a new one off the internet. I was surprised that I still had some degree of ability left in me from my youthful days shooting a slingshot. I am not as good as I was as a kid but as you say practice practice practice. I retire in a week and I am saving my Coke cans......I also have a coffee can full of 32 caliber muzzleloader balls for ammo.

If you get good with instinctive shooting that comes from mastering a slingshot then shooting a long bow or recurve will be easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page