My wife needs a rifle - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Default My wife needs a rifle

So, empty nesting and my wife decides she is going to learn to hunt. She has a Marlin 60 and a 783 and loves both and has listened and followed directions well out to 100 yards, we are going to try a different range soon for further and varied distances. All is great on that front. She has also gotten better at the Remington 870 Magnum Express 20 Gauge. But, all 3 are smaller rifles, compact, youth models. I find them all too short.

She has tried my Lever 30-30, 6.5CM Bolt, Pump 12 Gauge, as well as Breech loading 410 and 20 Gauge, the 30-30 and 12 Guage she doesn't like. She likes the 6.5 though, and it is a full length rifle that my 6'2" frame enjoys.

This fall we have a new place to hunt, *distances will range from 35 yards to 384 yards. Now, I personally try and stay under 300, but I have taken game further. Her, time will tell how confident she feels. So, deer rifles…..

Oh, and the important part, she has set her budget around $500 for everything. Originally she wanted $250 and I had her go to Bass Pro with me (higher prices to lessen the final sticker shock) and she doubled it.

What would you recommend? She like "older looking" wood and blued metal. But she also has a turquoise and stainless 9mm that she calls pretty. So, what caliber and package?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:25 AM

Has she tried a 7mm-08? They are generally good rifles.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:04 AM

why not just put a thicker recoil pad or even a slip on pad on one you have? If you want a new one a 243 is a decent choice or maybe a 6.5 Grendel on a ruger American. Heck if its only a 100 yards a little American in 300 blackout would do the job. Loaded with a 110 barnes it will kill deer at least to a 150 yards and is real mild recoiling.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

If felt recoil is the problem on a rifle she otherwise likes, the rifle does not weigh enough. On most rifles, the stock, or a part of it, is hollow. Fill the void in the stock, or part of it, with shotgun shot and pack the remainder with Styrofoam "peanuts". The rifle gets a little heavier and felt recoil diminishes. Reducing felt recoil should solve that problem. Consider balancing the location in the stock of the added shot against "forward heavy" barrel weight.

EXAMPLE: When my boys were a lot younger and wanted to shoot ducks with us, I purchased an H&R Partner single shot in 12 ga. It was just right but too light. The stock was hollow from the recoil pad up to the receiver nut. I had a 1" diameter piece of steel rod that just fit snuggly in that hollow and reduced their felt recoil. I protected the receiver nut with leather washers and shotgun shot. It is still in the safe this way today, though relegated to Safe Queen from zero use.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-28-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Put a Brake on the rifle

History in the making
MAGA
no longer just a political campaign theme/promise.
It is Reality 👍
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswink View Post
So, empty nesting and my wife decides she is going to learn to hunt. She has a Marlin 60 and a 783 and loves both and has listened and followed directions well out to 100 yards, we are going to try a different range soon for further and varied distances. All is great on that front. She has also gotten better at the Remington 870 Magnum Express 20 Gauge. But, all 3 are smaller rifles, compact, youth models. I find them all too short.

She has tried my Lever 30-30, 6.5CM Bolt, Pump 12 Gauge, as well as Breech loading 410 and 20 Gauge, the 30-30 and 12 Guage she doesn't like. She likes the 6.5 though, and it is a full length rifle that my 6'2" frame enjoys.

This fall we have a new place to hunt, *distances will range from 35 yards to 384 yards. Now, I personally try and stay under 300, but I have taken game further. Her, time will tell how confident she feels. So, deer rifles…..

Oh, and the important part, she has set her budget around $500 for everything. Originally she wanted $250 and I had her go to Bass Pro with me (higher prices to lessen the final sticker shock) and she doubled it.

What would you recommend? She like "older looking" wood and blued metal. But she also has a turquoise and stainless 9mm that she calls pretty. So, what caliber and package?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
For most of my life i was somewhat of a gun snob. It had to be a control round feed gun. It was either a Winchester model 70 or a custom 98 mauser. Then back when Savage came out with the Stevens 200 I bought one for a truck gun. One that would be like a hammer in a tractor tool box. It could rattle around behind the seat in my truck but would be there when a coyote showed itself. That Steven's killed 8 coyotes the first year it was behind the seat. It wore a $29 Tasco 3x9 scope. That gun changed my mind on cheap guns.

The Stevens 200 was the first of the el cheapo rifles and as technology and the economy changed so did the market. The next thing you know every manufacturer was making an entry level gun. It was a few years back and on another forum that I bought five different entry level guns. A Ruger American, Remington 783, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis and a Thompson Center Compass. All were in 243 which is my all time favorite cartridge. I played with all of them the entire spring and summer and shot various loads through all of them. What I discovered is that I would not be afraid to go on a $10,000 dollar hunt with any of them. Some of them had flimsy stocks and while they didn't effect the accuracy they just didn't feel right in my big paw. In the end they are all very capable hunting tools. The one that stood out to me and that I have fallen in love with (I now have three of them) is the Thompson Center Compass.

My three are in 223, 243 and 7mm-08. I bought the 243 and 7mm-08 when TC had a rebate going on them. I paid $299 each and had a $75 rebate. You can't even buy a good BB gun for $225. I like the 7mm08 so much and have enough confidence in it that I put a Zeiss scope on it. Who does that? I have had that scope for 10 years in anticipation of a custom project that never got off the ground! I am no longer capable of working 70 hours a week splicing fiber optic cable and will be retiring in exactly one year from the end of this day. I am becoming very money conscious these days and the TC Compass while being a financial compromise sure doesn't appear to be quality compromise when it comes to game killing ability.

The one feature that I have always hated about most push feed guns is that fact that their safeties do not block the firing pin. Rather they simply prevent the trigger from being pulled! The only one on the above list with a firing pin locking safety is the TC. It's safety is a three position swing safety on the back of the bolt of the same design as the Winchester model 70.

My favorite is the TC but I won't diss on any of the others as they will all kill game. They all will shoot sub MOA with the right load but the one gun on that list that would shoot sub MOA with any load was the 783. A bore scope would defy that happening on that rifle as it looked like it had to be last barrel in the lot done with that broach before throwing the broach away and retooling. I had zero expectations for that rifle after examining the bore prior to the first round being fired. I was simply wiping out the factory oil prior to heading to the range and noticed how the patch was hanging up or catching as it was pushed down the bore. When I pulled out the bolt and locked at the light bulb through the bore there were fuzzies hanging off of the rifling from that patch for the length of the bore. However at the range it out shot a $2,000 Remington 40X. That cheap Remington 783 with it's favorite load of IMR 8208 XBR would put 3 Hornady 65 grain Vaxes into a nice half inch cluster every time if I didn't screw it up. I gave that rifle to a young man who painted it flat white and has killed oodles of coyotes with it over the last 5 years.

I have killed deer and antelope for years using a 243 and have never felt under gunned! I will take the 7mm-08 black bear hunting out west as soon as the retirement thing is real.

Sorry that I got long winded but now you have my 2 cents worth on the matter.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

One can wax eloquently on the guns he owns and loves. No shame in that. I have a safe full of them. It is going to be difficult to cull the herd, but has to be done.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:44 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
One can wax eloquently on the guns he owns and loves. No shame in that. I have a safe full of them. It is going to be difficult to cull the herd, but has to be done.
Me too land_owner, I retire for good in exactly one year from today. Things have to change and culling the herd has already started. My fancy guns for just looking at days are done. Many are already gone and to be honest I don't miss them much. The hard part is getting down to what I can't part with and that is less than 20 guns total.

Retirement, the golden years and all that goes with it requires being content with what one needs. I need less than what I have and I'm getting there slow but sure! However like you stated it isn't easy but has to be done. I could probably get it down to 10 guns if it weren't for the family heirlooms.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
Has she tried a 7mm-08? They are generally good rifles.
7MM 08 in a Remington model 7 , Is what my first cousins wife uses . Perfect for the young shooter also .
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
I know what you mean , I have a safe full that havent been out of the safe in 30 + years , except to be wiped down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page