E-Bike for deer hunting? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

The battery is supposedly good for 20 to 50 miles depending on the level of assist you use and how hilly the terrain is. I stopped at a bike shop yesterday and they had a Trek E-Bike on the floor. Caught my eye right away...750 watt battery that's good for 700 charge cycles, suspension front and rear, 3" wide knobby tires....and then I flipped the price tag over...$5300!

I'm sure there are some quality E-bikes with a more realistic price tag but I'm wondering if this whole pipe dream of an idea would actually work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

For that price, I would be thinking FOUR WHEELS on the ground.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
For that price, I would be thinking FOUR WHEELS on the ground.
Whatever happened to paying for the other guys technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
The battery is supposedly good for 20 to 50 miles depending on the level of assist you use and how hilly the terrain is. I stopped at a bike shop yesterday and they had a Trek E-Bike on the floor. Caught my eye right away...750 watt battery that's good for 700 charge cycles, suspension front and rear, 3" wide knobby tires....and then I flipped the price tag over...$5300!

I'm sure there are some quality E-bikes with a more realistic price tag but I'm wondering if this whole pipe dream of an idea would actually work out.
From what I've seen, they are all really expensive. I think the straight electric dirt bikes are probably about the same price. I did see an electric stand up scooter that was quite a bit less. Had fat tires and looked like it was built pretty tough. Probably be not too bad for cost, building a fat tire electric mini bike. Saw a little Jeep like sxs that was available in either electric, or gas. Or maybe an off road golf cart. Could carry a little inverter as well, and go forever almost.

Or if the goal is more mountain biking (something I've been trying to do more of, and hunting off of), maybe just a "better" mountain bike will make your life easier and the ride more enjoyable. If you don't mind going for a used one, you can get a really nice light bike with good shifters, hydraulic disc brakes, and a front shock in great shape for pretty cheap.

To haul the deer out, either a baby carrier trailer, or maybe a modified game cart?

Profanity is a poor excuse for a proper education and logic.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM

I've always thought the Rokon would be the ultimate 2 wheeled vehicle for getting way back in rough terrain to hunt. They're not cheap, but not much, if any, more expensive than a good E-bike.

Another option would be a used older trail motorcycle.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at the e-bike for use on national forest public property in Wisconsin. There's all kinds of regulations on what you can operate and where. I don't think the regulatory bureaucrats have figured out what they're going to do with e-bikes yet.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 AM

I kind of suspected that was the reason you were considering an e-bike.

Here in Michigan they're closing off more and more two-tracks. Worse on the National forest lands, but state lands are getting almost as bad. The way it's going they'll soon restrict us to walking on federal/state lands wearing sneakers or moccasins - no vibram soles allowed!

My hunch is the feds (for sure) and the state (likely) will rule e-bikes are "motorized" and ban them from going off designated ORV trails.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:28 PM

cousin had one years ago. It was about unstoppable and his was kind of unreliable. I would have to guess by now they improved them. Probably the cheapest way to go though would be to find an old 100 or 125 dirt bike. Back before they made them so us old guys cant touch the ground. I had a trail 90 honda at camp for probably 20 years. Nephew blew it up. Still kick myself for being so stupid as to give it away instead of rebuilding it. thing would run darned near forever on a tank of gas. I know Yamaha makes or at least did up to recently a big tired trail bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I've always thought the Rokon would be the ultimate 2 wheeled vehicle for getting way back in rough terrain to hunt. They're not cheap, but not much, if any, more expensive than a good E-bike.

Another option would be a used older trail motorcycle.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Picked up something neat a little while ago. Half for me, half for the kid. It's a Coleman branded mini bike, with 196 cc engine. Pretty easy to hot rod for the "big kids", very portable, and doesn't raise as many eyebrows when it's operated some places where most machines aren't allowed.

Profanity is a poor excuse for a proper education and logic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page