Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Deer Hunting (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/24-deer-hunting.html)
-   -   E-Bike for deer hunting? (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/24-deer-hunting/399462-e-bike-deer-hunting.html)

dawg 08-10-2019 09:48 PM

E-Bike for deer hunting?

Been pondering a fat tired electric assist bike for getting back to a couple far away stands. I'm a handgun hunter so carrying the gun on a bike is no problem. My route will be on old logging trail and old trails and from what I've read these things are good in dirt or snow.

How about it...anyone out there with failing legs or knees that has gone this route?

land_owner 08-11-2019 05:33 AM

What do you do with the dead dear on the way out?

Dee 08-11-2019 06:39 AM

I used a mountain bike. Killed the deer, gutted it, raised the seat and put it in the gut cavity.
Ratchet strapped the deer to the bike, stood the bike up, and rolled the deer out.
I also put an blaze orange plastic cover on him to keep somebody from shooting him again.
This was when I hunted government land.
I rode in, pushed out. Worked purty good.

WLB 08-11-2019 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not electric powered but I built this one from scratch for hunting and general work on the farm and at home. For times when its too wet to drive back to my shooting range I take it on a trailer, leave the car by the gate, load the trailer with my shooting equipment and pull the trailer back to the range with the bike. It has no trouble hauling a dead deer out of the woods.

gene_225 08-11-2019 08:38 AM

Boy, that looks like a nice one.

mcbammer 08-11-2019 08:55 AM

The e-bikes I seen are way out of my buying power . around $ 6.000 , anyway I couldnt balance a two wheeler .

land_owner 08-12-2019 05:11 AM

A friend and I made a cart from bicycle tires, a threaded rod for the axle, and electrical conduit. The prototype sucked and made dragging deer out twice as difficult fighting the constantly out of plane axis of the tires across all manner of logs, gullies, and deadfalls. So we quit that and never looked back. No need to reminisce on the failures of the past....they make me tired now.

gpa&hisguns 08-12-2019 06:31 AM

Put the dead deer in a plastic toboggan and drag it out with the E Bike. I did that with a Honda 125 for years. Get the heavy built toboggan sold at the farm stores.

These days I use a 750 Grizzly. It will crawl up and over about anything in granny gear.....gotta hang on tight sometimes. The fenders are kinda dinged up from the trees etc but I got it to use.

I'm already on my second knee on my left side and had the right knee fixed back in January. Last night I slept on a bag of ice as my back is aching so. Ain't getting old a hoot!

land_owner 08-12-2019 08:38 AM

Doing the routine and customary up-downs in church choir on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings is haunting me. The folks sitting in the pews kneel for a good portion of the service. I cannot do that.

I blew the meniscus out of my first knee while dragging two deer out of the South Carolina forest. The "cart" I mentioned above assisted in driving me mentally over the edge of patience. By the time I got them both to the top of the ravine, I was injured and HURTING. I would have gone slower and been better without having that danged warped cart.

spruce 08-13-2019 08:49 PM

Would the battery last long enough to get you way back in over rough terrain, and more importantly all the way out hauling a heavy load??