My Daughter's Buck from Wis Youth Hunt - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Default My Daughter's Buck from Wis Youth Hunt

My 11 year old daughter connected with a nice buck on Saturday! This is her second buck in two years of hunting and she is showing to be a very good shot. Both bucks one shot one kill. She was very excited, but not as much as I was!

On a side note, bullets do weird things... She hit it right about where I told her to, but it entered, hit a rib and skid between skin and body, entering cavity about 4 inches further back and exiting diagonally through belly (you can see exit hole in picture with us). The deer was perfectly broadside when she shot. Hit low lung, hard liver and unfortunately nicked gut as well. 6.5 Creedmoor for what it's worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emma Buck 2019.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	234940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	enter.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	973.6 KB
ID:	234942  

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Congrats. Her smile says it all (yours too). :-)

Specklebelly

Do you know Lee Ann Rymes? Oh wait, no it doesn't.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Sounds like a bullet "performance issue" and perhaps one less "frangible" with greater penetration is in order. Your daughter (and you) should be pleased with the participation of the wildlife, her level headed performance, and a swift completion of the "ritual", which makes us both human and meat eaters. Congratulations to you both...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:11 PM

that's a good thing to see. unlike the new on TV. congrats to you DAD . you also have a trophy. regards, richard
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Congrats to both! Nice buck.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Thank you for sharing this very important moment in your lives.
Proud of you both.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I guess it's possible, but I doubt it was a bullet issue, it was a 130 grain Accubond, a bullet that we've shot many deer with. From what I have seen they do not fragment and would think certainly not on a rib. My son shot a buck at about 70 yards hit it low neck in the spine recovered the bullet and it was surprisingly almost all intact. I have recovered several others and none have been what I would consider fragmented.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:36 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

This kind of stuff makes this old guy grin from ear to ear! I have made all of my plans, scouting trips and placed treestands in preparation for Iowa's youth season the last two years. it's all about the kids. My two grandsons ages 8 and 10 have accounted for three does and one buck the last two years. Next in line is a granddaughter who is a little unsure of herself. I will use your daughters success and say, "Looky here Mae Mae this little gal is two for two and both were bucks!"

Give your daughter a high five for me and thank her for the girl power vibes for my granddaughter to use in the deer woods!

Gramps
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Congratulations Daddy! She has a trophy buck..and you have a trophy daughter..

Just look at that smile on that young lady's face ! So proud of her deer..and Dad is beaming with pride also!

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
I guess it's possible, but I doubt it was a bullet issue, it was a 130 grain Accubond, a bullet that we've shot many deer with. From what I have seen they do not fragment and would think certainly not on a rib. My son shot a buck at about 70 yards hit it low neck in the spine recovered the bullet and it was surprisingly almost all intact. I have recovered several others and none have been what I would consider fragmented.
Couple of things, if not the bullet, then the driving force is low. To turn a bullet aside on bone it already has to be practically unstable prior to its entry into the deer - imho. Collecting the nearly intact bullet from a spine shot is an indication of insufficient 1.) bullet weight-ballistic coefficient-shape-construction or 2.) velocity.

AND I do not mean to turn this into ANY criticism in your choice(s). A dead deer from a GOOD SHOT is just as dead regardless of whether the bullet passes through, tumbles on impact, is recovered, or (not this case) explodes. It is intended as Food For Thought on why bullets tumble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page