ya'll be careful down there ya hear? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner
Default ya'll be careful down there ya hear?

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...ake-deer-stand

Mississippi hunter cornered by 4-foot rattlesnake hiding in deer stand: 'There was no way to get away'

By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

A Mississippi man went hunting for deer on Dec. 28, but he ended up with an impressive rattlesnake carcass instead.

Mack Ginn arrived at his small blind – which is propped up on cinder blocks – around 6 a.m.

"The blind has been there a long time. It's a small blind; maybe 4 by 4 (feet). You have just enough room to walk in, sit, and swivel around,” Ginn told USA Today.

In addition to his hunting stand being small, Ginn also said that the floor, which was at one time open, consisted of a wooden shipping pallet.

Just before 8 a.m., Ginn said he heard something while sitting in the blind.

"I heard a rattle. It echoed in the blind and sounded like it was in the trees,” he said, noting he initially thought it was cicadas before realizing they would not be active in late December.

Although the experienced hunter had never heard a rattlesnake rattle, he began wondering if that could be the loud noise he was hearing.

Sure enough, when the hunter looked down at the pallet, he saw a 4-1/2-foot timber rattlesnake peeking up through the slats.

Fortunately, hunter Mack Ginn only sustained ear ringing as an injury after shooting his high-powered rifle at the snake which, surprisingly, never bit him.

"My foot was on top of the pallet only a couple of inches from the snake. My first thought was to get away. I literally jumped into the chair because there was no way to get away,” he said.

In the tiny square, Ginn was trapped — and his only option was his rifle loaded with a .270 Winchester cartridge,

Ginn aimed, fired and missed. On his second try, the man managed to shoot the snake’s head as it was striking. "My ears rang most of the day," Ginn said.

"There's no telling what it would have measured on a decibel meter,” he added.

Fortunately, the ringing seemed to have been Ginn’s only injury, as the snake, surprisingly, never bit him.

Ginn did take a powerful lesson away from the scary incident: He’s installing a solid wood floor and sealing it.

"I won't be sitting on a pallet again, that's for sure,” he told USA Today.

Last edited by land_owner; 01-04-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Anything in the woods that walks, crawls, or flies is a potential resident/visitor in every ground blind and tree stand. Wasps are a particularly "bad deal" when encountered in the folds of a blind's concealment camo at 12 to 20 feet off of the ground or hanging in the rafters of a tree house at the break of dawn. Though I have never, and don't want to, a skunk could be an especially bad day too.

Birds of prey nest in elevated blinds and will leave feces and carcasses that will make you gag. Sitting quietly when an owl revisits its former nesting place will give you BOTH an unpleasant start.

Bears (and snakes) have been known to (and videoed), climb the same tree a hunter is sitting in. That'll certainly elevate one's blood pressure.

Stepping into a covey of quail at O'dark -30 while walking to your blind won't kill you, but when all at once they suddenly flush, the hairs on your neck stand on end, and your fight or flight gut-reaction kicks in, it may make you kill yourself.

I have encountered most of these scenarios (no skunks or bears thank you very much) and have come away with both grayer hair and more self-awareness from the encounters...and my cardiologist wonders why my heart, when elevated, skips a beat, or two, or three, or four.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 AM

brother in law had my nephew with him one day out hunting. Got to the blind and it had a small door and he sent his son in first. Kid screamed and came jumping out yelling SKUNK!! Amazingly it never sprayed. He went back to camp and went out that night and it was gone. Buddy of mine once found a small black bear in his.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:25 AM

In southern Ark. You need to be careful getting into a box stand. Even 10-20í off the ground.
Many hunters find rattle snakes hiding in the stand. You have to ease in and look before leaping. Snakes n Wasps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM

My blind is about 3 feet off the ground on 4X4s with a step. Worst thing I got there so far is some mice which came in a chewed up some burlap bag curtains which were over the windows.
They made a nest of the burlap...I cleaned that out and didn't replace the burlap..so they don't visit so much anymore.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:51 AM

Busting a covey of quail cost me 5 years of life, Iím certain of it.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Ground blinds down here in Florida become home to a bevy of unwanted creatures! Snakes obviously are an issue but don't bother me as much as spiders, scorpions and wasps.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Hard for a snake to strike if its under the slats of a pallet, but I can see the distress in the situation...

Had a 350-400 lb bear climb my tree while archery hunting for bear... We bait up here and I must have had some bait scent on my hands when I climbed in, he made a B line for my tree and I had no shot. Climbed half way up my tree in less than a blink. He obviously didn't know I was up there, I made a little noise and he dropped... My brother had another big bear climb his tree and sniff his boot, although he had 30-30 aimed at his forehead, he climbed down without incident. Not in much danger in those situations, but does get your blood pumping.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 03:07 PM

I've seen rat snakes in some but never a Rattler.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:58 AM

I have problems with wasp and flying squirrels nesting in stands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page