Wife needs a deer caliber - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Wife needs a deer caliber

She handled my 6.5 lbs Contender in 7TCU fine, and likes the 23" .204 barrel I currently have on it, but she says it is long for anything other than bench shooting. She put 30 rounds through it today and was hitting steel out to 300 yards. There is just a slight uneasiness handling the recoil of the Ruger 7.62 American Ranch I have, but the noise is too much for her liking with that short 16" barrel. Where we hunt, shots are 125 yard max, with most opportunities presented under 80 yards.

I have been thinking about a 20" 300 Blk, 32-20 (loaded for the T/C over the normal 16k PSI), or 357 Mag for the Contender to try to make it a little lighter in recoil and more importantly noise. The 20" lever 357 I have is too long for her 5' 4" liking, so I was thinking a tapered T/C barrel at the same length will be more comfortable. Even if not, I believe I will still be able to enjoy it. I want to keep it factory ammo capable (the reason I sold the TCU), even if the 32-20 is not common. I also want it to be cast friendly for cheap plinking. Though the BLK is not known for it, many have had good luck working up cast loads.

Any suggestions? Am I overlooking another good option?

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 PM

Ruger 77/44 .44 mag?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg11b View Post
Any suggestions? Am I overlooking another good option?

Look at a Remington M7 compact in 243.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 06:14 AM

Ive got a ruger American 16 inch 300 bo and it would be a great choice. Havent killed any deer with it yet but have with my 16 inch ar15 in 300 bo. Shot 4 does last year from 50 yards to 200 and the barnes 110x bullet did exceptionaly well on them. Is it a 200 yard deer gun. Well the one I shot at 200 dropped right there and had impressive damage inside but id still hold back my recommendations for someone looking for 200 yard performance but for 100 and maybe even 150 it a deer killer for sure in the hands of someone who can place a bullet where I belongs. I like the 243 too but its recoil and muzzle blast aren't much different then the 243. 44mag. Less blast but more recoil. Id maybe suggest a 250 savage. My kids started with one. I loaded down 87s to about 2600 fps and it was a great short range killer but finding one or ammo is about impossible today and you never mentioned handloading which if you took up would allow you to make about any gun work for you. But without handloading your going to stuggle to find something that does what your asking for better then a black out.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 06:39 AM

Check out the .277 Wolverine, it's based on the .223 case and has a good track record on deer and hogs. Factory ammo is available though not common and there is plenty of load data available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liv1stdeer.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	245358  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WLVpig.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	245360  

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 AM

I forgot to add, Match Grade Machine has a reamer and can make you a Contender carbine barrel in .277 Wolverine.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 AM

I vote .300 Blackout or .357 Mag out of the choices you mentioned.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Lloyd and Bob, thank you for the thoughtful replies. I have had a 44 in a lever and the recoil was similar to or just a bit more than a 30-30 in similar weight guns. This is the top of her tolerance level, and I want to be more in her comfort zone. My main reason for keeping it factory feedable, is sometimes she wants to shoot and I haven't had time to load at the bench. If it weren't for that, I would probably go 6TCU. She really likes the compactness of the Contender platform, though a 16" lever may be doable.

I had settled on a 32-20 for a fun barrel that was cheap to load for with no real intent on using it for game bigger than coyote...until she shook her head with a "hard no" at the 7.62x39. I had intended it to be her deer rifle as she liked it in the store when we discussed it. I will still be using it or my 357 lever for deer. Never let a good gun go to waste 😄

Maybe I just need another rifle or 6 for her to try out.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

DB73, that is where I am leaning most heavily.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM

Gun Cabinet

6.8 SPC Bbl on contender

Think twice, shoot once...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page